[Pimax Response Required] Is there an official solution for eyestrain and IPD issues in the works?

Also went today to another optician to find out that my ipd is not 64.5 but 61.
Each eyes at the exact same distance from nose, 30.5.

4 Likes

Do you think Pimax could even make different set of lenses for lower ipd or will it be like with the ghosting on 4k…?
Edit : Well at least on 4k they admitted the issue, but one thing i would like to know is why radio silence.

1 Like

I’m 100% right there with you. My ipd is 64 (near 61) having these same issues. I improved this by getting the screen further from my eyes using the 3D printed facial interface mod (a piece of plastic) and the original foam. It does improve my experience but there is still something off. So far hearing nothing here about it being worked on. I did set up a support ticket and they emailed me back about trying other face foams (instead of getting a replacement HMD) They asked me for my shipping address so I’m hoping they will send them soon.

Tbh no. The cost would be immense compared to what folks think which is unfortunate. Unlike what Lucky Palmer said with Rift S.

Just think of the fellow that was looking for a quick solution to his damaged headset cord. To have a shop put a new dp end was somewhere around $100+.

Now an individual could maybe see about having lenses professionally ground down equally but would need access to put lens adjustments into the software.

1 Like

The 4k just needed a spacer to improve focus to be standard as per other headsets.

As for Radio silence see MRTV rant on pimax communication. :persevere:

1 Like

My 4k had a lot of ghosting, i don’t think it has anything to do with a spacer, that was because of the screens if i am not wrong .
i did send mine back because of this.

1 Like

I am guessing like @jeroen ? You need one side thicker to accomondate asymetrical ipd until pimax implements an ipd soft asymetrical fix.

1 Like

Ghosting yes is a different matter. One that they have yet to do anything(but in truth haven’t released am update in over a year) like @crony mentioning allowing overclocking the displays might help for example. Crony is a diy expert in building hmds imho.

Support has been even more silent on answering support requests on the p4k.

Pimax support has offered an official response which I posted in another thread. But so far, this has not been supported by any official forum members. I believe then that Pimax ARE looking at the options regarding this issue but don’t want to put their cards fully on the table.

Sorry for inconvenience, as for the IPD issue, we now are doing following optimizations:

Get some typical issue headsets back and try to see whether our producing has assembly problems

We will improve try to change the ME design, but this is a long term option, and can’t fix the current users’ issue

we will do more test with different IPD, try to find optimizations that don’t need to change the ME design.

We have been doing some research about the IPD within the company

#Theoretically our IPD is more complex than other devices as one of the factors is due to the thickness of foam. Thus, we plan to ship out some foams with different thickness directly from SH China.

3 Likes

Problem is, according to the measurement I got I have an evenly split 32/32 so no asymmetric IPD. Nevertheless I have the cross-eyed discomfort issue…

Agreed they are looking into it. But some are stuck on scrap & start over mentalities. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

That is interesting. Which is they need to research more. As some others with similar ipd to yours are not feelong strain. But might have other factors like greater “self adaption” much like vr sickness more in gen1 vr.

I haven’t had mine tested for symetry but I do have each eye in focus evenly in both eyes.

Do you know if the SteamVR IPD setting in the config file is functional?
Did anyone try forcing IPD in DCS VR settings?

Did testing with it and it does nothing, tested also the config file from pitool but nothing changed.

1 Like

So the HMD works for you and you have both your eye in focus ?

1 Like

Both seem to have equal focus. But that could be due to eye symetry, focus strength of individual eyes & brain adaptability.

We’d need more study. But i checked by closing 1 eye at a time. My poorman’s head strap maintains vertical placement & pressure on face. Still using default foam no mods. Now no center strap is used on headset just the side ones.

@Davobkk’s StudioForm comfort strap is likely to help.

Heliosurge
“Both seem to have equal focus”
You do realize that`s not how you use this HMD, you have to have the HMD set up so that one or both eyes are blurred. :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue::zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I did say I might be a mutant as I can play seated games like Distance & SublevelZero standing without falling down lol

With the p4k could also play Ethan Carter fir hours. :beers::dizzy_face::+1::sparkles:

1 Like

Have you tried attaching a counterweight to the back of the headset strap? This made a huge improvement in my comfort.

I taped 2 steel wrenches together and used the Velcro loop (which secured the Pimax cord for shipping) to attach it. I used about half the weight of the headset itself: 11.1 oz / 312 g. This removed all pressure on my nose and cheeks.

1 Like