Pimax Pre-order policy discussion

This off-topic thread is now going off-topic itself straight to a bottom of the barrel back-and-forth endless debate with little new information.
_
Aside from that…

That should really put that debate to rest.

@SweViver
Not a problem, this is a very good thing.

Well put.

@Heliosurge
Please read between the lines. I only report things about this 8kX that could plausibly apply to end users, who would be flashing official certified firmare through official software which is checking compatability. So I am not going into detail as to exactly what the risks were if any.

Let’s just say, there is the possibility each of these pre-production units could be subtly different from each other, for testing or manufacturing defect reasons. They may have components with different power ratings, crucial flash variables set by a real-time hardware debugger, missing resistors on the firmware upload pins, weak/noisy PCB traces, etc. The wrong firmware could cause permanent damage, and if that doesn’t happen, the right firmware/variables might not even be possible to reproduce without taking the device apart. Such information would not even be reflected by the device’s serial number if it can even report that to PiTool, etc. To be clear, I am giving examples based on my own experience, not stating anything specific about this NOT FINAL 8kX.

Ultimately, the point is, with the privilege of having such prototype hardware, does come some added risks, with the extraordinary possibility of massive opportunity cost. Literally, a third of the company’s entire output of their flagship product for half a year is in my hands. That’s a responsibility, to the community as well, I don’t take lightly.

While the design is end-user ready, a prototype is not an end-user device - it is really still for ‘internal’ Pimax use. I am just lucky they saw fit to loan it to me for that, and I hope some of my contributions justify it.

5 Likes

Keep in mind until the last minute 20 to 30 units were going to be shipped out as stated by Robin at CES. So at the time of ces the demo unit was close to the release model.

Pimax firmware is actually one of the best features and many other companies should learn how to make firmware flashing this relatively safe. Instead of the risk of permanently becoming a paperweight.

Your contributions I would say have more than justified that decision just with the success you brought to CES. With optimizing the settings for various titles that likely would have fell short.

7 Likes

In terms of basically functionality and production readiness, yes. Some of Pimax personnel have stated they are not so similar. IIRC, rather similar units in Europe were destroyed. Read me carefully. You do not know as much as you think.

I agree, no argument.

<3

2 Likes

Seriously. You crack me up Matthew… :rofl:

5 Likes

What a waste of time.

Not going to bother anymore.

1 Like

We ended up making all sorts of technical changes since then. CES actually helped us immensely with the changes that went in. With so many people trying them out we received huge amounts of feedback. Also with large volumes us uses each hour we were able to identify more areas that can exhibit wear and tear. All the different sizes of face, head etc. also caused us to change the mas in numerous spots and the positioning of the foam pads as well as come up with the thin pad version.

An interesting example is we found the visual quality with the CK with the glasses foam is higher on some people with the MAS than with the strap because the MAS tightens directly towards the back of your head. The CK was designed for use with the MAS but with the strap it causes a bit of an angle.

Of course eventually the changes have to stop and on May 25th we did begin producing X headsets for backers.

10 Likes

Hi @PimaxUSA,

can you share an update how many 8KX were exactly produced in the first initial batch on 25th of may?

Kind Regards

5 Likes

I did which is why I said the CES units were close not to be confused with the 20 to 30 that were said to be prepping to ship before CNY. And I am aware of more than you may realize.

2 Likes

Hey Martin,

At this point I would suggest that Pimax shares one or two deadline roadmap scenarios for shipping. If for example they are missing some stated deadline milestones, then make an update and people will appreciate the transparency. But, you have to understand that people frustration are base on something tangible.

Just my thoughts. :+1:

7 Likes

Isn’t the Deluxe MAS the same as the regular MAS, but it has the extra earphone attachment? If that’s the case, can’t you guys just ship the MAS and then send the audio upgrade portion later?

3 Likes

the biggest problem of pimax is they never let a clear border between kickstarter and commercial product. Kisckstarter can wait years before receiving the reward and it can substantially change from the original target. I think most of us are ok on that, especially Pimax proved they can deliver and improve.
But for a lot of people, there were just orders or pre-orders, for something that was listed as deliverable almost immediately (or was deliverable by other channel, like the plan F that owns nothing to pimax, since base station and index controller are not produced by them )
i ordered the plan F in November 2019, and SIX MONTHS later, i still did not received the product or even an estimate on when it will be delivered. In the mean time i can pop up in any shop and buy the base station and index controller from Valve since several months. Ok , i know that inbetween we got a huge crisis, still ongoing, but it does not stopped amazon or Vive to continue to deliver for example.
So i was ok to wait 2 years to got my 5K+,(i switched from the 8k) because that was the deal as backer. But plan F was an order (not even a pre-order) that was supposed to solve the lack of the promised base station and controller form pimax and actually i did not put my money in some gambling like kickstarter is, but i ordered items and paid the invoice. So the job was just to put my adress on the box and send it to me.

So Pimax is currently handling regular orders like they handling backer’s rewards , and that is not good. Either the product is there, finished and ready tfor sale (as advertised) , or it is an ongoing project with all the expected delays with testing , design changes etc…
I think this is a big misunderstanding, when customer receives excuses for non-delivery that could be served only to backers, and when backers are presented a product sold like a commercial one (with pre-order) when they know it is not ready.
At a moment, the kickstarter should be closed and be a thing of the past.
Let it be clear, i am not complaining here, mainly because i got a working headset with 2 bases 1.0 and controller since a long time and i only have respect for pimax to have brillantly pushed the project to completion (at least for the main part , the headset) but i understand people who actually ordered something they saw in the windows shop, and months later still awaiting for it with nothing eles in the hand than a bill.

9 Likes

Unless @SweViver statement was not accurate. He confirmed this detail at least for Backers.

I just read between the lines there and didn’t like it.

2 Likes

I haven’t been really paying attention to the StarVR . Was that a kickstarter?
Because it it wasn’t then comparing StarVR to Pimax is like comparing apples and oranges.

WOW you really want that job with Pimax :rofl:

1 Like

Actually, I am making an effort not to publicly put too much in writing about the extreme counterexample in every way that usually comes to mind.

… Frontier Developments…

2 Likes

Yes. The two differnet headphones are interchangeable between these headsets. And thats what we will do, initially starting with the backer 8KX units.

8 Likes

I also hope we backers and pre-orderers get front row seats when the eye tracking becomes available. And the hand tracker for that matter. And the audio upgrade module. Because the thought of having to wait another multitude of weeks for the additional order is already stressing me out

2 Likes

Is the approach of SMAS shipped first, headphones for DMAS shipped later being taken for all 8KX orders (backers, upgrades, and preorders), or just backers?

1 Like

What will the Eye tracking do?

1 Like