Pimax Portal Disscusion

I’m only interested in the VR.3.0 items, i.e. the 12k and Crystal headsets. I am sure that VR is the future and we are only in the start of the VR evolution. I can see similarities in the evolution of Home (PC) computers. For me VR 2.O i.e. 8kx (my hmd) is in an equivalent evolutionary stage as 1980s early home computers, like VIC20, ABC80, ZX Spectrum, and VR.3.0 headsets Crystal and 12k would equivalent of a Commodore 64, Amiga or Macintosh, IBM PC for the ones with more money. I want to see PIMAX drive the VR evolution as they have so far and not start developing hand held game-consoles integrated with VR1.0 etc, for what ever strategic reason they might have (money, PIMAX to the people). A small company like PIMAX need to be niched and be the best in class (or in the top) in what they doing, and that is VR. I want to see PIMAX be the first developing VR4.0, 5.0,100. That will never happen if they try to be a new SONY,.

2 Likes

@SweViver @PimaxUSA

2 quick questions:

1. For the roadshow, will the VR headset aspect of portal be on show? If so, what lenses will be available and will it be PCVR only or also standalone?

2. For the portal headset mode: Can the crystal/12k controllers be used instead of the controllers from the portal (that slot into the controller docks).

1 Like

Honestly this will be the first time that I really hope a pimax product will fail. I hope nobody will pour money into this kickstarter. Then pimax will quickly realize this indeed was a horrible idea to begin with and will focus again on what everybody is here for: high end vr and not some crappy low end handheld

The ‘good’ part is that this is very likely to die a quick death anyway. I think the kickstarter will fail horribly

4 Likes

I understand that pimax wants to conquer a new group of buyers. And I can also imagine that such a device would be very popular, especially in Asia. However, I think the timing is a bit questionable. Even if this project largely draws on the knowledge gained from the reality series.

As long as you’re basically in line of sight of a 5g tower lol. It’s a good idea sure but personally I would want to use something like this on a train or bus and 5G is out the window once you start doing that.

1 Like

Yeah, I hate to say that I totally understand what you mean. It makes investing in Crystal and 12K a bit concerning as the development is going to be stretched so thin. Let’s see in a few weeks what the reactions are like from people getting a hands on with it, but I do feel similar to yourself. I am doubtful the VR aspect of portal will be on show at the events coming up, likely just the handheld, but hopefully I’m wrong!

3 Likes

It is actually stand-alone faceplate with screen.
I can imagine how pimax made their decision.

Following is XR2’s SoM specs.

Xr2 can’t drive 12K’s display even in 60Hz.
I assume that it is why 12K is not shown.

Yes everything has stalled completely. I figured it was because of the 12k or crystal , this is a shocker.

The idea isn’t bad. It seems like something Nintendo would do if they were afraid to step wholeheartedly back into VR again.

Did they mention a price?

My biggest issue is that im not sure who this device is for.

I guess on one hand it caters to the steam deck / Aya Neo crowd.

It also could be for the quest , Pico crowd.

It seems that everybody is cashing in on the xr2 compatible marketplace.

The other thing that is a little cumbersome is how many add-ons there seem to be.

The portal XL seems kind of alot of work,

Also how is Nintendo ok with the Joycon rip off,Nintendo has lawsuited other companies into oblivion for copying there idea.

Anyway, the price is going to be key here. But yes I think they are either spreading themselves too thin or this might be a desperate attempt to creat another income stream.

also, I never have had much luck with this form-factor as they tend to over heat alot.

1 Like

iirc $599.

2 Likes

299 for base handheld, forget how much for the QLED handheld

Then 449 for base handheld with the headset, and 599 for QLED handheld with the headset.

I think the only difference between base and QLED models are the QLED and miniLED, so basically better colours.

The 299 and 449 pricepoints are honestly very very cheap and appealing but that’s only if the platform is actually well done and works.

Just imagine you invested into an 8KX purely based on the trade-in proposition expecting to switch to the 12K in late 2022. Now you see this. It was already communicated by Pimax that the 12K is delayed, but now it seems almost that it is delayed indefinitely as Pimax have turned their attention elsewhere.

But those who bought a Pimax device solely due to the trade-in program can’t pretend they didn’t see any cautionary advice being given at the time - so blame yourself too if you fell for it.

I don’t see the 12K be released at all in 2023 anymore, and when it’s being released, I wonder how many of the advertized features will have become (reliable) reality (and what the competition will be offering by that time).

5 Likes

Well, I still love my 8KX, so I’m not too fussed over a delay in he 12k.
This kick starter thing bothers me though. If the portal is ready to manufacture, why run a kickstarter? If it isn’t, what’s the timeline going to be?
It is build largely of extant technologies, so I’m going give Pimax the benefit of the doubt.
If I could give up the FOV, I’d probably reserve a Crystal. I don’t think I’ll be doing the kickstarter, but I’m going to wait for the details before I get grumpy. Or excited.
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

You can read between the lines that Pimax is not sure about the reception of this new product and almost no current client of Pimax are the direct market…

so why a Kickstarter?

1: Pay for production development fees upfront
2: Probe the market and customer base
3: make backers wait again if any problem arise ( Delay component due to global market etc)

This said this new open portable snapdragon plateform and QLED display seem fun to have on it’s one. But if they deliver and when which is with Pimax always a good question…

1 Like

I guess on one hand this does mean that the portal project/idea might literally just never happen. Crystal / 12K are going ahead of course and thankfully they didn’t go down the crowd funding route for those ones.

Hi Jojon still in the neighborhood of the Pimax forum :wink: You know that now with the new AI art designers it’s quit easy to remove a palm from you’re face it’s just a question to find the right “prompt”

more seriously I wonder how munch this KS campaign will influence component availability for the other pimax products and staff workload…-(

from what I can see it’s seem the most polish design up to date;

Kickstarter is a disaster for Pimax. It shows they have zero spare cash to invest in their own products.

Kickstarter means low to zero profits on a promise of high sales. The sales won’t come and Portal will forever be a stain in Pimaxes history books.

When I first started watching I thought it was a mistake, by the end of the presentation we find out it’s not even ready for production and needs more funding even though Pimax have had $40million in Investment over 7 years. So where the cash go?

Who wants to invest in a company that’s burnt $44 million in 7 years?

You can’t help but shake your head in disbelief.

2 Likes

Since it will be at roadshows I guess all will be known soon. We will apparently be amazed

1 Like

When someone suggest pimax to focus with VR headset such as Pimax crystal & Pimax 12k.
Not much people can buy them at that expensive price.

So pimax should have the product with the lower price like this and get the new customer.

5 Likes

That is a good point- the base price looks very reasonable.

2 Likes

Exactly. Crystal should be $999.99 tops. The 12k $1599.

1 Like