Pimax OLED edition for customers?

But what can be reasonable? Especially if its coming with the laser valve like tracking & valve like controllers?

With it being a dramatic upgrade over vive & consumer business applications makes it very interesting…

Don’t use latest technology that will make mask more than $ 600- $ 700.
Good example with oculus rift, mask did not sell, now $399 they are out of stock, therefore price is very important.

2k is bad for VR, 4k is better

1 Like

The Rift had trouble selling due to being over priced to begin with (even when compared to vive/valve’s offerings). Vive however must be doing better in sales though with Vive being stubborn Rift now due to price point will take the lead over Vive.

Yes i would like the 8k to be in the price range you mention; but that would come at a loss of either controllers & or tracking system.

Keep in mind there is nothing in the consumer market to compare with.

StarBreeze/Acer StarVR only currently avail to IMax & their 210 fov powred by 2 qhd oled beleives consumer pc not able to run (2x2.5k)

PiMax stands to prove this wrong.

1 Like

Apart from price, the biggest factor for me in whether I buy another VR unit is what real VR content is available.
Yes there are all sorts of “things coming” but I haven’t yet seen any of those things that I would pay $500 plus for.
I think that Pimax4K will do me for some time yet. All I want is a reliable tracking and controller system.

I had hopes for Nolo but they don’t seem to have their act together and so I won’t risk $200 plus on one of those.
I’m sure that there will be other options soon.

2 Likes

Still there are some disadvantages that I hope the Pimax 8k solves:

• No physical IPD adjustment with the Pimax 4k, which makes my eyes tired and make me feel uncomfortable after 15 minutes of playing. Since the Pimax 8k has 2 display’s it should be easy to make a physical adjustment system
  • No 4k input mode for the Pimax 4k. Pimax said they’re woking on native 2x4k input support for the Pimax 8k, although we’d need next generation video cards to actually drive them at 4k native resolution, it still would be great to have it
  • The Pimax 4k has quite low FoV, I’m really looking forward to the FoV of the 8k
  • Tracking: like you said Nolo sucks, really looking forward to the Pimax laser tracking system for the 8k
  • Ergonomics: the Pimax 4k is not very suitable for Caucasian faces, hoping they improve that with the 8k.
  • Colours and brightness: if the 8k indeed has OLED panels this will be MUCH better
  • Eye damage: If the 8k indeed has OLED panels, then they will be much safer for your eyes since OLED transmits 3x less blue light.
  • Ghosting: Needless to say it will be MUCH better with OLED panels.

So yeah I’m really looking forward to the 8k, if it really has 2x4k OLED panels then this is going to rock the VR world like nothing we’ve seen before !

It’s still unsure though at this moment if the Pimax 8k will have 2x4k OLED panels at introduction … @deletedpimaxrep1 is holding the cards close to her chest :slight_smile:

1 Like

You sure @Enopho’s crazy 1080 won’t be able lol.

If what support has hinted we may see a revised 4k model.

But here’s a thought someine mentioned there is a guy selling 3d printed ipd adapter lenses perhaps he could be contacted to make ones fir Pimax 4k?

I agree with your comments and definitely 2 x 4K OLED panels would be a game changer and would possibly tempt me to slap my money down if only they included proper mechanical IPD and focus adjustment.

Where I was able to modify my Pimax 4K to get a good focus, it may not be possible with Pimax 8K and that would most likely be a killer for me. @deletedpimaxrep1 After all, what’s the point of all that great resolution if it can’t be focused?

Hey Luke

Looking over your focus mod i think we could add our own adjustable focus by building a bridge on each side with longer screws with springs pushing lenses in. A screw in the middle to push/pull the lens holder towards the eye.

O===O===O

Basic idea. Now user if went this route would turn center screw in to pull the lens holder out. Each side would need to be adjusted in steps to pull out lens holder evenly.

This could even be added to current design with minimal change to existing design.