Pimax day backlash!

I wouldn’t hold your breath. Pimax clearly don’t care about keeping their promises now that they have your money.

3 Likes

So next time you buy a car you’ll be happy that it’s missing the air-conditioning, heated seats, sat-nav and infotainment system you were promised because, hey you got the car right?

I don’t think so.

It’s easy not be aggrieved when you’re not the one who has been disadvantaged. This is NOT a small change - it is extorting an extra $199 out of their most loyal customers.

2 Likes

can’t imagine anyone would to buy a car via Kickstarter campaig. :roll_eyes:
… like the campaign was about revolutionary new tech specs non of the big ones were willing to put on a schedule…
after so many months and millions of posts still ppl don’t get that backing KS is not buyin at amazon?

3 Likes

Yeah, what Mazi said.
You paid for a project. You didn’t go to store to order a finished product. These two are very very different cases imho. In addition, when you select those options for a car, you pay for them. You didn’t pay anything extra for the stretch goals. They were GOALS. Plans to get somewhere with that. No more than that. If you don’t get it, you don’t lose anything. You still get what you actually paid for and every single other stretch goal…
We gotta be honest here. Many kickstarters never even deliver anything
It’s as Kevin said, their other option was to -not- do the eye module.
Again, I’d also have complaints if I were a KS backer, but I’d have let it go by now.

3 Likes

I can understand why people are angry and it’s actually totally understandable.

Pimax is usually a case of incompetence/bad luck/planning + bad PR which can leave a sour taste in people’s mouthes but I don’t think they are malicious.

KS is generally a risky business and I highly recommend people to NOT support KS.

I only say Pimax is one of the better ones because they actually 1. delievered something 2. brought something into market that still can’t be replaced.

3 Likes

Again, the thing is you didn’t actually buy the stretch goals. You bought a headset package. That’s what will show on your order, and that is what you got and paid for. Don’t drive this too far man… it’s just an eye tracking module…

To be more specific, you didn’t buy a headset, you funded a project, and got an headset as a perk to that.
Although it is similar, it isn’t entirely the same as kickstarter isn’t a pre-order website.
The project can change scope or anything during its life, or not deliver on the expected quality.

We’re basically take on the role of investors … without the ability to intervene in the development process. That’s why there are so many disappointing projects on those crowdfunding websites.

Some projects “overpromise” (like here), or don’t estimate the necessary fund correctly, which end up with a product not meeting the expectations.
Some company handle this better than other, doesn’t mean they do it on purpose.

4 Likes

Pimax are proudly in the Guinness book of World records for having the largest funded VR project beating Oculus. They did this by offering stretch goal to entice people to back the project. These people could easily of waited until the headset was finished and released to the scrutiny of reviewers. Pimax might not of broke Oculuses record.

Instead Pimax abused the Kickstarter premise and reneged on the stretch goal.

Maybe some one should contact Guinness and get Pimax struck off the history books?

2 Likes

Development projects change scope, specs and go through many revisions prior to production. Testers said there were a number of changes needed in the M1 - M4 versions of the headset. As are most kickstarters the product is under development at the time the program goes online and often many months later.
It’s not the same as purchasing an existing product from a retail store but I’m certain people who say otherwise are totally aware of that. I wasn’t with the company at the time but I imagine *multiples of the ks funding went into engineering, tooling, firmware development, packaging and much more. It’s easy to hold htc (thousand of employees and public) or oculus (i.e. facebook) to some of these standards but a small company you have to be immensely more careful.

I’ve often wondered if the Rift would have existed had Facebook not stepped in.

10 Likes

I really hope you guys can expand your Quality Control and hire some good PR Personnel ASAP.

10 Likes

It’s a Kickstarter. Tbh, you should expect that some of the promises won’t be met, since there are many unknowns. People screamed when the 8K wouldn’t do 90Hz, but eventually most have gotten over it.

2 Likes

Called it. All I’m gonna say

sigh

@PimaxUSA: I suggest you check out Alibaba for some cheap eye-tracking @20 Hz to get this issue out of the way. Give (some of) the people what they want.

We others then buy a FDR-capable high-end solution from Pimax - a capability Pimax were very careful to not promise during the KS campaign.

@BuckarooBanzai: okay, fine, then please go sue them - or are you just blowing hot air ?

1 Like

The most critical customers are often the most loyal customers though, brushing them off is not a good idea.

1 Like

Rift CV1 would have just been DK2 with polish without facebook, or the Vive, if not for drama between Oculus and Valve.

… and this same drama then brought us what - the Rift S, an alternative to the CV1 with some pro‘s & con‘s, just barely managing to be a better package than the CV1. And Valve didn‘t exactly push the boundaries with its Index either…

2 Likes

Or to put it a different way: Those who really care about me will have the sense and decency to tell me off when I’m being stupid; Sycophants will cheer me on every step along the way, as I throw myself out a window on the n’th floor, convinced I’m going to sprout wings and fly.

2 Likes

You forgot the Quest, which will have best of both worlds (kind of) in November with the PC tethering that let’s you play PC VR games too.

But I agree DK1 and DK2 were done before FB bought them, and CV1 did met the KS promises.

1 Like

I’m actually super excited about this product. It really seems like the perfect VR, something I can use tethered for a higher end experience, and mobile for maybe content consumption or ‘drop in’ vr experiences.

Facebook really seem to be commoditizing VR. This product might sell by the shed load with the announcements this week.

1 Like

The perfect VR is the 8KX with Wireless. I accept nothing less.

4 Likes