PIMAX Crystal Update Video 12/26/2022

New Update Video

5 Likes

In any case, the roadshow version I had was the one where the display port was off to the side, but besides that everything else was the same as the roadshow version he’s shown in the video.

2 Likes

thanks for the vid link. still no wifi demonstration.

2 Likes

Ok, fine, you’re right. But some advance we get in this video and is a good news to see them working hard.

1 Like

Weird that they didn’t talk about the lens changes

3 Likes

So, every lens has their own eye tracking system? At least one camera?

And, for people like me with one eye slighly up than the other, eye tracking sysytem.will fix it? A kind of vertical offset i mean

And, i guess this video is taken with battery running, cause i don’t see any USB -c attached.

Or all the power needed is feeded through DP?

2 Likes

I take it the flex film is to feed power to the IR LEDs which illuminate the eye, for the eye tracking?

If, so: Is that the LEDs sitting mounted along the eyetube rim, and shining through the detachable lens frame sat independently on top; Or are they mounted IN the frame, and coming away with it, with a pogo pin connector or something in between, at the circled locations?

1 Like

Still no word on battery life in stand-alone mode?

If the front panel gets that hot it needs extra holes drilled in the front then I guess battery life is going to be low.

Pimaxes silence is ominous.

As Standalone mode is not ready it makes sense this info is not available as of yet.

Or do you maybe mean battery life when using say Wifi6e wireless mode? Which I imagine is still being optimized as the latest video update didn’t have details on wireless mode.

1 Like

What about the Tobii? If that’s functional we really need to see how well Tobii Transport works and if it works well with all games or just a few. It’s supposed to work with all games to enable up to 160hz with the Crystal in tethered mode, and improve the performance in wireless modes. I’m not buying one until that is well-demonstrated. It will make or break the entire Reality series.

1 Like

Well we could google tobii transport and see what Tobii is saying about there tech.

Remember the Roadshow was demoing some hard games without it. That an the powerful xr2 processor can help.

The recent video updatevthat @Butters007 posted was showing that ET component has been added in terms of the FPC. So imagine we will see soon enough.

The Crystal though at 90 and 120 really shouldn’t be much trouble. The 12k on the other hand is a different story and at a guess like 8kX was to the earlier models will be more upgraded. Just a speculation but it might even end up having the newer DP Standard with perhaps a fall back of 2× DP 1.4a for GPUs not using up to date newer standard.

It is odd that Nvidia has released the 40series with just Dp 1.4a. Especially at the high price point.

I think the DP2.0 may arrive with the 4090 Titan/Ti - making it a more compelling sell for those that are still looking at price/performance- that’s not based on any info though - just a hunch.

The likelihood of Pimax supporting DP2.0 that is probably low…given their difficulties with card compatibility to date. I can imagine a theoretical cable that has a 2xDP1.4 plexer as a dongle off the card to make for the bandwidth, but would also involve a balun on a fiber optic cross-cable to the HMD, which would raise the costs to Pimax substantially. I expect DP2.0 is more than just higher bandwidth, so that’s not 100% the same as a true DP2.0 cable, but for VR purposes it might work. Otherise, and in my opinion more likely, they will simply use 2 DP cables, which would make for a very thick cable and interface them on the HMD. If that happens we can forget about using pulleys to keep the cable out of the way.

2 Likes

Argueably, the 12k with its wide FOV should have much more potential room for heavy foveation…

I’d presume how much latency the reduction and reconstruction steps introduce, depends on the complexity of the method; At its simplest, it could just be one, or several successive memory copy operations (I guess if it’s done by shader, these would be foreach things, rather than an algorithm free to jump around…).
If some sort of actual compression, and/or additional filtering on the receiving end, is involved, that would take more cycles…

1 Like

Something we also need to keep in mind is Hybrid rendering with the XR2 is likely more than just using Tobii Foveate Transport.

Either way we’ll just need to wait and see while remembering that with Refresh rate pimax has and atm still is ahead of the Xtal. :wink:

The 12K will use a fiberoptic cable. Pimax said that pretty early on. It can be expected to be as thin, flexible, and light as the current fiberoptic cable for the 8KX.

Fiberoptic is capable of carrying the bandwidth. So if they do 2xDP (which I agree is likely at this point due to 40 series being only DP 1.4), what you’re going to see is 2x DP pigtails at the end of the fiberoptic.

I hope that reaches production is all I mean to say.

Everytime I bring up the possibility that they may not achieve the proper bandwidth I get flamed because “But Pimax said…” , which is certainly encouraging, but sometimes corners are cut. It’s also out of a healthy respect for what it means technically to provide such a cable. It’s a small feat perhaps, but I see it as a potential way to “cheap-out” the 12K and I’m simply voicing my desire not to see that happen to our dear 12K :slight_smile:

What exactly does hybrid rendering mean? Does it mean perhaps that reprojection or interpolation (frame projection, motion smoothing, ASW -pick a name) is done on the HMD? I feel like if we are frame doubling/inserting, why send that through the pipe? That would effectively double the bandwidth, correct?

Well that is the question could be any of those things and or something different.

Will have to wait and see how it fairs when it fares.

1 Like

I keep running the math and doing testing relevant to Pimax’s claims about these things. And the results keep showing that their claims are aggressive but viable. They’re always going for whatever is the peak capability that the technology can provide, and their numbers fall just within that. It becomes pretty clear when you really analyze it that they’re not just making up numbers out of thin air. Their engineers are putting these together as their targets for the technology based on the specifications of various components and technologies going into their products.

Now whether or not they actually pull it off and achieve those numbers is another matter. I don’t mean to be making judgement about that. Just pointing out that their claims are viable based on the technology involved. If they succeed, it should be able to do the thing. But there’s no guarantee they will succeed until they can actually demonstrate it working.

3 Likes

So the Crystal is compatible with the my existing hand tracking module?

I don’t know why but I thought you would have the hand tracking integrated.

Either way it’s great to leave the handtracking to Leap motion.

Did you guys finally update to version 5 of the leap motion driver?

1 Like