PIMAX Crystal Update Video 12/26/2022

They can’t because the cameras are on the Face Plate is removable for the other face plates. This is a design floor imo. If Crystal comes with tracked controllers then the cameras should of been built into the chassis and the only other two face plate should have no impact on the the cameras for hand tracking.

Crystal has 3 sets of cameras (inside out tracking - MR faceplate and hand tracking module) which over complicated things unless they use the same set of software that can do hand tracking on 3 completely different set of cameras.

For a simplified example:-

You buy Crystal and want hand tracking - Pimax say you need the hand tracking module.

You buy the MR faceplate and want hand tracking - Pimax say you still need the hand tracking module.

You buy the hand tracking module and MR faceplate and wonder why you just paid $360 when other headsets give it to you free.

The problem with doing reprojection and/or distortion correction on the HMD, is: Do you have enough bandwidth to get the full rendered resolution over to the HMD, supersampling and all? (EDIT: …because that is the input you want for those operations – frames do not become screen-native, until the latter of them makes them so, as its output.)

Please let us know about other VR headsets with the specification of the Pimax Crystal that come supplied with an MR faceplate and hand tracking. I’ve searched and I can only find similar visual quality but inferior overall specification headsets at higher cost (manufactured by Varjo).

Or are you comparing Pimax Crystal with a lower specification product like a Quest 2 maybe? If so, then the reason the lower specification product comes with MR faceplate and hand tracking is because the design of the headset is cheaper to make.

Hm. Not the aero. Does the quest pro offer all that? That’s the only headset priced in the same ballpark that I can think of. How about the Pico 4? That seems to provide a lot of value for the money.
I guess it depends on what you need in your VR experience. I have the Pimax handtracker unit, but it was basically useless for me in flight sims. I can see it for other games though.
I would like a pass through camera though so that I could use more sim add on hardware pieces.

1 Like

I’m just happy my HT module continues to be useful. Unlike that eye tracking module despite @guppyexpress best efforts.

1 Like

Tinker Pilot and Assetto Corsa make good use of it .

There are two tracking cameras in the center of Crystal. So why Pimax not using them to do hand tracking ?
Quest 2 can do hand tracking with the 4 tracking cameras, which doesn’t require any external module.
Pimax should be able to do the same.
Maybe they are planning to use those 2 cameras as the pass-through cameras?
Hopefully someone from Pimax could give us an answer.

1 Like

HI

Happy new year 2023 :champagne::champagne::champagne::clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses:

in real life nothing is free :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Apluhsss :innocent::champagne::champagne::champagne:

1 Like

Likely just demonstrating that the ht module can indeed be used on the Crystal; that and I believe atm they do not have any other modules they can show using in the bottom port yet.

1 Like

Can you use the HT module alongside your game controllers in Asetto Corsa? I could not figure out how to use it with my HOTAS setup in IL2 and other sims.

1 Like
1 Like

A cursory viewing suggests it’s either/or with hand tracking- he doesn’t appear to use in addition to a hardware gaming device.
Which was my finding, and which makes the handtracking module useless for my purposes.
I’ll watch the video again on my pc- hard to see details on my phone.

Some other video showed its maker scaling the whole gameworld down to toy-size, so that the in-game steering wheel would match the size of his IRL gaming wheel, which I found kind of hilarious… :7

1 Like

This one is better. And funnier.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.