Pimax Crystal Status Updates-Official

42 big 42 small? What do those signify?

1 Like

I don’t think he boldly predicts it, he actually puts “sadly” at the bottom of his post. everyone is entitled to make their predictions, it doesn’t mean they want them to actually happen. i don’t think anyone here wants pimax to fail. i 100% don’t think the same as atmos - that pimax will go under etc but i do think atmos’s list is more accurate than the pimax 1.

it’s not perfect but it’s based on the crystals at the roadshows and not based on what pimax engineers claim to have achieved in private, like the pimax list is. how do we know those claims are true? also wheres the controller entry on the pimax list? atleast atmos’s list has 1 for it.

that said, i still think a pimax official list is a good idea because it’s a best case scenario whereas atmos’s list is far more sceptical but it still has useful facts in it. potential customers can use both lists to make their purchasing decisions. i think SmallBaguette said it best when he said the truth about crystal feature status’ will probably be somewhere in the middle between the 2 lists.

6 Likes

@PimaxUSA are you back to this mud slinging?

I’ve already had an apology from Pimax about your behaviour.

Pimax think my list is great I’ve been told direct from Pimax. My chart was sent to the Pimax engineers for them to use.

My chart is a reality checker. If you don’t like it fill out the official Pimax chart.

I sent you a PM a week or so ago asking about the Crystal lenses but I got zero reply. But you would rather come here to accuse me of bias.

I predicted Pimax would go bankrupt? You need to quote me on that one. There’s no secret after the Kickstarter Pimax then sourced around $40 million in series A and B funding. Are you saying Pimax we’re making enough profits on their headsets and didn’t need this extra funding.

Back to Crystal. According to the Official Pimax chart Crystal is finished and ready to ship. Fantastic. CES 2023 is a few weeks away and we’ll get to see a fully working consumer version.

Knocking my chart looks like desperation. I ask lots of question direct to Pimax in order to update the chart.

If the chart is not reflective of Crystals true state it’s certainly not because of me or my “bias”

It’s sad you are so defensive you don’t do Pimax any favours as you have every opportunity to set the record straight. Don’t shoot the messenger.

3 Likes

Apple … will probably beat them all in price :rofl: and will not work on your PC.

1 Like

The 12k was not a thing in the year they announced to launch in it.

Has anyone seen a working 12k with final hardware?

Hopefully Pimax take the 12k to CES 2023.

2 Likes

@Atmos
It seems to me, you can at least update the table to reflect they’ve confirmed several AMD GPU models as being compatible (with a note about the Display Stream Compression if it’s still relevant).

Please also consider that in their table (whether you’re in a position to agree or believe it), they’re officially saying that anything on that table that’s in a ‘READY’ status has been tested and confirmed working.

We’ve simply not seen all of it ‘officially’ at any of the Roadshows yet.

Let them bear the burden of that reality and let’s hope they can shuffle feet to get it shown going forward at future roadshows and CES2023. If they falter compared to their table, then it’s on them, right?

@PimaxUSA Fair???

I’ve poste the AMD Compatibility List on the other Thread. :innocent:

He will minimize things that work well, maximize flaws and interpret every item in the most negative light possible. So, no, I don’t think this isn’t even slightly fair.

It’s what happens when someone who absolutely loathes Pimax has anything to do with this sort of thing. Just go back a couple of years with his posts and you will have no doubts about that at all. He thinks Crystal might be successful and this is the perfect way to totally focus his subjective opinion on negative aspects of it.

He will simply brand any subjective negative item as a “reality check”.

2 Likes

Does anybody have a link to some roadshow visitor reporting on trying the 42ppd lens, by the way?

1 Like

I think you need help Kevin.

100% agreed. Unfortunately pimax’s integrity has taken numerous hits between claiming the Crystal Released at the end of Sept. Which is obviously false as it still has not released. Then there has been other failed promises from the Kickstarter that were renegged on like removing 1 of the 3 pieces of software. Along with 1 pimax member toxicly attacking consumers over DMAS complaints or even safety complaints when a poorly chosen travel plug adapter was shipped to AU.

Atmos maybe focusing on what is not ready. But it is accurate to what was demoed and what people reported vs pimax list claiming things are good. To which we heard that before with things not limited to just the piss poor ET that should never have had backers charged for as 1 it was a stretch goal for free Eye Tracking and 2 it should never have been released in that condition. Even delaying it another year would have been better. Plus backers whom only backed after ET was unlocked could have gone after pimax as many only backed because of free ET.

8 Likes

I think people need to take a step back and take a look at the larger picture and realize how absurd the entire discussion is. Getting down into the weeds splitting hairs over development updates line by line and arguing over whether Pimax is lying is a waste of everyone’s time.

This is what happens. This is why other companies keep tight lipped about their development and maintain a thick layer of filtering between their engineering departments and the public.

This is what leads to going down rabbit holes with these threads.

Taking a larger view, why are we even here? Why was this thread necessary? To counter Atmos’s posts. What’s giving Atmos fuel to work with? Pimax announced a future release date for the Crystal and then missed it.

This leads to the notion that Pimax needs to stop missing its dates. Bam! Problem solved!

Only that hasn’t been working. And it will, in fact, never work. Not for Pimax. And not for any other company either. Engineering routinely takes longer than expected and planned features get mutated, pushed to the future list, or just dropped. That’s the way it is for every engineering department in every company on the planet. Customers get confused and angry when they are exposed to this.

Pimax needs to stop announcing projected future dates for anything still under development.

Consider how different discussions would be if Pimax had never declared Crystal shipping in Q3 2022 to the public. And what did Pimax gain for that declaration exactly? They took on risk of missing that date for what? And that applies even more so to announcing the 12K for Q4 2022. What did they gain by declaring that date which was far into the future? Especially when hardly anyone believes their dates anyway.

I think Pimax is okay to continue announcing what they’re working on and being very open about their development updates and what features they’re targeting and all that. Expressing it as a percentage of development complete is fine. Just stop giving projected dates for those products to the public.

Because as soon as Pimax gives a projected date, it changes the discussion from talking about the product itself to discussion about whether Pimax can be trusted to hit its date. It changes the discussion into… well… these absurd threads on this forum. And not just on this forum. You can see the same sentiment in videos from YouTube influencers and other media.

The problem isn’t development delays and missing your dates, Pimax. The problem is making promises to the public about dates that you can’t actually guarantee.

9 Likes

I obviously don’t know the whole background of this stuff between you guys.

But… I’m not sure you guys sparring back and forth with each other, regardless of who’s more or less in the ‘right’ is ultimately helping. I suppose from a drama/entertainment value for those with :popcorn: it might be.

But both of you guys consider new prospective customers entering this forum. If both of you care at all about PIMAX and its betterment and that translating into better products and services, part of that is not only educating these people on the reality and true state of things, but it is working together to admit error, admit things could be improved, and move forward in a positive direction. (<— master class run-on sentence…)

As a prospective customer, I want to see the reality of things before I drop tons of money on a product. If there are clear issues and concerns, I want to see positive addressment and action plans to solve them. I don’t wanna see two people constantly beating each other over the head… Especially a PIMAX Rep/Employee.

From my viewpoint at the moment, I see obvious need for improvement in various areas from PIMAX. I’m sure there are good reasons for X, Y & Z happening from PIMAX’s point of view.

Though, once a company opens up their upcoming products in such a fashion as PIMAX has, the floodgates are open for critical comments that may feel unfair.

I think it’s healthy to be critical and also healthy to accept criticism with an open-mind, as long as we can refrain too much from beating dead horses.

3 Likes

Disagree as you have been polarized against him from the start. If you demo something and it has been reported working well it is on his list both good experiences and bad. We just need less zealot reactions when you dislike an observation.

Own it. It was a lie that the Crystal was ready to ship in Oct. Why the team chose to release that falsehood is truely baffling.

Atmos list was a clear opportunity to release info when an incomplete or poor demoed item was fixed. Instead of going on the attack.

7 Likes

Other companies post when there are unexpected delays instead of posting it released only to later demonstrate that never happened by showing the product is not ready a couple of months later.

Pimax needs to learn to be honest in there communications and ensure there employees do not become toxic responding to the community because of there own rose colored glasses.

4 Likes

And your right as it would only also put Kevin in a very bad light. The team has often had to apologize needlessly due to poor reactions that are not professional.

6 Likes

Frankly i don’t get all the stress over the differences in the 2 lists. The data not being from the same sources, at the same time, why would it not be different.
That @Atmos’ list isn’t totally subjective doesn’t bother me any more than Pimax’s list not being so does. Pimax is listing what it thinks is ready. Atmos is listing what people experiencing Crystal have to say about that.They aren’t for the exact same purpose. Surely, where the data intersects and isn’t in agreement can be updated without all the histrionics.

8 Likes

Very well said. Considering they are working on both hardware and software. The demoed headsets are obviously behind compared to home where things are being worked on.

If the Roadshow hmds were at the same level as the DeV Teams they would be demoing things lime Wireless 6e.

Folks have already commented on what appears to be lag between controller movement and what is seen on screen in the Battery status update. Now since this was a cinematic update; it could simply be a filming issue.

I remember 1 company I worked for created a safety video. However with filming and refilming certain scenes. They created a miss where a maintenance mechanic in am earlier scene had the machine locked out with Tags. A moment later while giving a speech the machine was no longer locked out and the disconnect was On.

An easy filming mistake. But considering it presents a Health & Safety issue that is against Safety. They should have at least either omit that part or schedule a time to refilm that scene. However they never did anything to fix it. Which is and isn’t surprising.

1 Like

Is this because we are stupid and unable to deal with it instead of enjoying the anticipations that other manufacturers’ engineers keep hidden from us?

Nah. They just need honest communication when delays happen. And yes there are other companies that do share public progress on a pending product.

A smart company whom chooses to share things does so with open honest updates. Not creating vapor claiming it was ready and released a couple of months ago. :vulcan_salute::wink::+1:

Now pimax should maybe stop doing this if they don’t feel they are up to doing it right. Simply wait til it is ready to ship.

2 Likes