Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I would imagine there’s no switch just because it’s not working yet.

2 Likes

One reason I don’t even subscribe. lol Others should unsubscribe too.

He’s shooting himself in the foot realy. Profiting by serving the few rather than serving the many. Bad business sense.

Nah it is. his right to ask his patreon to keep things discrete. He will reveal things on his channel when the time is right to do so. Patreon in his case imho he is using that as a sneak peak into upcoming broadcasts & behind the scenes.

Plus subscribing to Patreon supports his channel likely better than Youtube views.

There are TV shows that in the past had fans had a way to directly contribute to there continued had there been easy ways to have supported them. Iirc Star Trek Enterprise may have had fans helping to finance the last season or two. Could be wrong but I recall hearing that.

he can ask whatever he wants for his vids,and i understand why the video aint public anyway,his laptop is getting mauled by the crystal,hes waiting for a 4090 to do a proper review.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: PSVR 2 Officially announced

Guys, there is a dedicated thread for PSVR2 in the forum:

PSVR 2 Officially announced - Other HMDs / HMD Discussion - OpenMR | Community

I read the last post here and my first thought was “oh, have Pimax started proper deliveries after all now?” to only notice that this wasn’t anymore about the Crystal since a number of posts…

1 Like

Moved post to the proper topic as requested. Thanks.

1 Like

its march…no crystal to be seen,how many months since it “launched”?

1 Like

Which launch are you referring to? lol. It has been 3 times now I think.

That said it seems like it will be going out to people in the next couple of months. I would wager May we will see regular consumers finally get it.

2 Likes

I gather you haven’t yet received your “pre-ordered, 1st bunch of 200 units, just about out the door, pinky swear” Crystal unit yet?

Because as it stands, the Crystal has been the weirdest ‘product launch’ I have ever witnessed, even by Pimax standards.

I admit I’m not privy to any information outside this forum and there most likely is a plethora of updates somewhere (discord, reddit, PMs on this forum etc). But given how often this device has been announced, launched, regionally launched etc. I’m surprised even on a Pimax time scale how unclear the actual status of the device is, as of right now.

In a way, and considering the recent news of a series C funding round, the appearance is developing more and more that those are working capital neccessities

5 Likes

The forth Crystal Launch is at GDC 2023 on 20th March.

1 Like

Yes they really need to delete the word launch from the vocabulary until they know for sure it is indeed ready for release.

Ie GDC should say Demo vs Launch and if it is ready for release let it be a surprise at GDC if it is ready by that time.

2 Likes

I find 0 mention online of a Pimax Crystal launch event at GDC 2023. @Atmos what is your source on this?

Pimax are attending a booth at GDC 2023 and the call for volunteers to bolster staff could be construed as a symptom of cash flow issues but it could be prudent business sense just the same.

Whilst we are on the topic of potential cashflow issues as possible explanations for this weird ‘multi-launch product’ and a KS campaign out of nowhere, are pre-orders for the Crystal actually open and allow for a full payment up front? If so, has anyone here actually already put down the full price?

EDIT: just checked myself and I would only be able to put down a €36 deposit. That is good and even if Pimax do have or had cashflow issues, not taking funds from customers to fill this need is very responsible.

3 Likes

I assume Atmos was being slightly facetious. At some stage I guess they will have trained all but the most hardcore Pimax fanboys to simply tune out their communication because it seems to turn out to be a waste of time.

Why bother what Pimax have to say? You don’t have a clue how much of it will come true, and even less when it may come true. And time in this emerging field with new standards being defined every 12 months is everything.

I should force myself to just wait until the first reports of actually delivered and reviewed headsets appear and ignore all of the Pimax marketing bla bla until then.

2 Likes

He maybe presuming them due to past launch announcements. However to be fair the Newegg launch during the Roadshows could have simply meant a partnership with Newegg with ppl presuming it meant Crystal as it was not clear.

1 Like

This is true.

Let’s hope we see some wireless gameplay like in the picture I pulled from twitter.

1 Like

Regardless of how flawed the Crystal launch has been, can we all agree that it’s better for Pimax to be a bit embarrassed now, and release a much less flawed HMD behind schedule rather than ship something that needs fixing?
They need to learn to handle launches and launch dates better. Agreed. Point taken. Time to stop beating that horse- it’s DEAD Jim. (As Bones used to say).
Now if when they finally do ship the Crystal it turns out to still be not ready for Prime time, you can start hitting the resurrected pony.

5 Likes

Hey Atmos. Can you sum up the current state of the Crystal? Official updates seem to be dead silent. Is it functional or have they found more issues?

3 Likes

Likely won’t hear too much til GDC. Seb is currently in Taiwan with his laptop and seeing if he can find someone local with a desktop.

2 Likes

Hahah history will discover: the word for “launched” in Chinese actually means “delayed”. Told you they need better English-speaking employees (or perhaps I need to learn Chinese, given the way history is headed, hahah.

2 Likes