Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 2)

I just read through the AMA results @PimaxQuorra posted.

Is my eyesight finally giving out or has seriously nobody asked what the status of WiFi streaming is? I simply cannot believe such a basic function that even a €400 Pico4 pulls off pretty spectacularily is getting less attention en lieu of its absence than a WiGig adapter.

Or am I missing the connect to the Standalone Mode as a necessary pre-requisite for this functionality? Because if that is the case, I’d say it’s pretty damn far out.

@SmallBaguette do you have any insight on this?

2 Likes

Just for the record - thanks to @Omniwhatever I could update the HMDGDB with Pimax Crystal data.

8 Likes

I stayed away from the chrystal discussions, but there is an obvious question I can’t help but asking myself : what’s the point of having such a bulky headset if it has 5 less degrees of horizontal FOV than a HTC Vive, first gen ???
I can live with wearing a brique like my 5k+ if it brings me up to 160° Hfov, but 103°, Really?
Small fov lens shouldn’t even be an option.

8 Likes

That’s what we’ve been saying from day one. Using the 12k chassis is one of the worse Pimax decisions they’ve made.

BSB is a few degrees less but the HMD is half the size.

2 Likes

Whilst I agree with the sentiment and would add that the BSB is also around 1/10th to 1/9th in weight of the Crystal, which I consider an even more important metric for wearables rather than pure volume, it also has to be noted that the Aero as Crystal’s most direct competitor isn’t considerably less bulky and offers a significantly lower vFOV, and at a higher price point per unit and even higher price for the entire required SKU. It’s a simple necessity of apsheric lenses that a minimum viable focal length is required.

4 Likes

I did ask - Pimax chose not to respond. So it was more of an AMA-UIIFM (ask me anything - unless it‘s inconvenient for me) :wink:

2 Likes

Understood and disappointing but not really all that much of a surprise.

4 Likes

Hello everyone. So, I just received my Crystal today. I still have a lot of tweaking to do but I have a question about the FOV. Before the Crystal, I used a Reverb G2. That headset always made me feel like I was looking through binoculars because of the lower FOV. For some weird reason I’m getting the same binocular effect in the Crystal. Many of the Crystal reviews I’ve been watching for months have been raving about the greater immersion from the much better FOV for the Crystal, but I’m not seeing it. The Crystal’s FOV looks virtually the same as the G2 on my computer, so I’m wondering if there is something I’m missing in my setup. I’ve tried Assetto Corsa and Zero Caliber VR. Both have the same binocular FOV. Anyone have any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

God bless.

2 Likes

Just have a look at this wonderful database that @risa2000 created:

Comparing the G2 and the Crystal, the former has an hFOV (horizontal FOV) of 98.85° and a vFOV (vertical FOV) of 90.85° whilst the latter has an hFOV of 103.31° and an hFOV of 103.75°.

This means that horizontally the Crystal offers 4.46° degrees more FOV than the G2 or around +4.5%. Vertically the difference is larger, with the Crystal offering 13.17° more or around +14%.

The difference in rendered FOV isn’t all that much but the aspheric lenses of the Crystal will also offer a larger part of the visible FOV that appears sharper.

Additionally, you have to consider that eye-position in relation to the lenses has a large impact on individually perceived FOV both in terms of head shape as well as IPD.

It boils down to don’t expect a world of difference (although the difference is noticable) and try adjusting the HMD in relation to your eyes to see if you can squeeze out a bit more FOV.

6 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, twack3r. I was hoping to lose the binocular effect with the Crystal, but I guess that’s not going to happen.

God bless.

2 Likes

You’re welcome @wreels.

Crystal absolutely isn’t a wide FOV HMD such as the 5K/8K/8KX series from Pimax.

It’s an HMD they launched in response (that is my personal assumption) to Varjo releasing the Aero; this HMD took a large chunk of ‘enthusiast level’ VR sales when it was released and Pimax felt they could offer an improvement on this competitor.

If you want to get rid off the ‘binocular effect’ then have a look at something like the Pimax 8KX.

3 Likes

This. It made all the difference for me.

I have eye sockets quite deep into my head and with large forehead/eyebrow bone structure, while at the same time having shallow cheek bones (typical Norse skull shape). I can imagine that this is pretty much the opposite of a typical Asian skull shape which I think Pimax is likely to base their R&D and prototyping on.

I got my Crystal last week, and my first impressions were toilet-paper-roll FOV (similar to HP Reverb G2 when I tried that) and significant chromatic abberation, even in the center of the lens. These results were from when I followed the “How to wear your VR headset correctly: Pimax Crystal” video guide on the Pimax YouTube channel, which includes the sensible recommendation of making sure the back strap goes down below the bump of my rear head. But if I follow those instructions, there is still a 1cm gap between my cheek bones and the bottom of the facial interface.

However, if I go against the recommendations and instead fasten the back strap at a point above the bump of my rear head, it allows the headset to tilt forward (a bit like the tilt adjustment of the Varjo Aero) and if I tighten it really hard to the point of almost being uncomfortable, my cheek bones can make slight contact with the facial interface. Now, my FOV is significantly better (similar to somewhere between Potato and Small on my 5k+) and the chromatic abberation is gone as long as I’m in the sweet spot. The FOV seems to be roughly 20% wider using this method than if I follow the suggested wearing guidelines.

I think it was omniwhatever who mentioned that facial interfaces for the Vive Pro should be mostly compatible with the Crystal, so I’ll see if I find something that fits my face shape better than the Pimax-supplied ones do.

Aside from problems with headset fit on my face shape, I have only good things to say about the Crystal from the week that I’ve been using it. And one thing I haven’t seen anyone else mention: With the powered hub, even after using my Crystal for sim racing sessions stretched across a cumulative of 10-15 hours from Friday to Sunday, the battery level was still full. The battery doesn’t seem to drain at all when used like this.

5 Likes

I would recommend caution with over tightening the dial as if still using the design of the original MAS on the previous models a few ppl have snapped the knob off.

One thing that can work to improve the facial interface is peal n stick velcro layered up in spots to help better fit your facial profile where needed.

4 Likes

Status of 10bit color support.

Link to post. Topic was deleted by Author.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/14mw60l/bigscreen_beyond_vs_pimax_crystal_comparison/jrhujqh?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=2

5 Likes

Just ordered a Crystal. Been absent for a few years after backing the original 8KX Kickstarter many years ago. I’m encouraged by the rave reviews.

Few Qs…

1. No mention of DMAS on the website as an accessory. Do I get it free with the headset?

2. Any idea of expected delivery time?

3. I’ve come across talk of updated/replacement cables, plastic lenses, various other teething issues - are units being delivered now the ‘final’ product?

4. Will eye tracking and DFR work with prescription lens inserts or glasses.

Thanks all and great to be back.

1 Like

No. The units shipped today are still missing one set of lenses.

I think you should go look through what owners have been complaining about in the Pimax subreddit. Mixed reviews. Quality control issues. Half of the features are untested and disabled.

I’m waiting for it to hit Amazon before even considering buying it. Much easier returns.

6 Likes

Plus Pimax are already working on a new Headstrap for comfort. This you will have to buy separately.

1 Like

Pimax keep adding this every time the previous cut off date ends. The offer is now on the next 500 units but ends on the 25th I think.

1 Like

…speaking of which, I kind of wonder if HTC are getting a bit desperate… I got an email out of the blue from them the other day, offering the cable option for free, if I buy an XR Elite – said they’d dug up a record of when I bought a unit of the original Vive, back when it launched. :7

1 Like