Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Ouch someone got butthurt today :hugs:

2 Likes

I don’t think you should feel that way. Kind of proud to see you admit that you were maybe rash when you attacked @SmallBaguette when he was critical about the Xtal. :v::wink::+1:

You rarely admit fault.

I feel pretty good, thanks for asking. I still think he was pretty harsh in his view of the XTAL, it’s a great headset, yet way overpriced. But taking it over the 8kX, even when offered at the same price level, I’m sure not many would do that. They’re really different leagues.

Anyway, not even sure why you needed to drag all this XTAL stuff into this Crystal discussion.

1 Like

Yes subjective experience are often harsh to others whom dislike others xp with an item. No one should make presumptions though it is because one cannot afford one.

It seems there is a lot of folks whom think similar about the Xtal. I myself have not tried it so cannot comment on it.

It fits as 3 testers have mentioned issues with Xtal Optics. Check discord. :wink:

I even mentioned it earlier in regards to it seems the Crystal Plastic lenses seem they might be better than Xtal; but to ne fair Crystal lenses are not as complex as they are not WFoV and even Ben has commented in the past on Xtal lenses.

Why not? It’s what happens a lot, people tend to dislike things they can’t even afford. Not everybody of course but it happens a lot. Not even something to be ashamed of if you ask me, just human nature.

See the slack Ferrari got with their Ferrari Purosangue. People just love to hate on it "It’s just a mazda mx30!!! " LOL

Sure abd then ppl often get compared to ppl like Heaney.

I have seen many ppl comment how nice something is and say too bad it is not affordable.

Of course that happens a lot too. That’s why I said not everybody.

1 Like

Of course you did have a p4k vs sde hmds like Vive and cv1.

Why best not to compare one’s financial status or how much something costs.

I bought a $60 paper cutter and use it with shingles. You can get a shingle named cutter for iirc around $400. I have cut more shingles than the shingle cutter is advertised to. Still going string 4 years later. lol

My boss’s uncle said he bought one and didn’t last 1 roof(shingle cutter)

1 Like

Yeah really interesting conversation all this, but I’ll leave you to it @heliosurge. Sorry for hurting your butt today, I hope you’ll feel better soon.

Yes interesting but sorry your confused. But think you clarified things even though ppl will have to read between the lines with you. :vulcan_salute::wink::+1:

2 Likes

LENSES, HUBS OH MY!!

Look… Unless I’ve missed it (I’ve been looking at the official PIMAX website and monitoring my emails), then I’m sorry. I think my only point on this is…

There needs to be CLEAR ‘official’ communication from PIMAX (on their website and order page) stating to current(pre-orders) and prospective buyers the current status and ‘PLAN’.

I mean, if PIMAX are already posting pictures of them sending out units to customers who pre-ordered, and we’ve got streamers CLAIMING they received the ‘Final’ product, yet perhaps they have not. Then it all just kinda looks bad…

Is there anything on the website or email announcement stating the following?:

“We’re currently shipping units to pre-order customers. These units will be missing at the time of receipt the following: glass lenses, the 42PPD lens set, the Power & Connection HUB Kit. As well features such as Eye Tracking (Dynamic Foveated Rendering), Wireless and Stand-Alone.
• The above hardware will be delivered to the customer at no shipping cost or extra charge when its ready. Our current readiness ETA for this is August 15th(Example).
• The above Features mentioned will not be ready until June 30th (This I know they’ve said)”

But I’m sorry if I missed it, or it’s too much to ask.

7 Likes

I absolutely agree with @Heliosurge re the above exchange.

Those who pre-ordered the Crystal and have now paid are taking a large risk (some knowingly, others unknowingly) because we know that Pimax isn’t great when it comes to being a B2C business partner. In that respect, they are unorganized und extremely unprofessional. Those that have been ‘Pimaxians’ for myn years know that behavior and all efforts so far have done very little to elevate the customer experience.

And yet, the Crystal has the pontential to be a very good HMD at a competitive price point IF feature complete.

So I reiterate: If you want the certainty to get what you paid for and what was adevertised, buy from a known vendor with a working support structure once the HMD becomes available at scale. On the other hand, if you want the most cutting edge at the earliest possible opportunity, pay your Pre-order in full and accept that additionally to the funds you commited to this purchase, you are also paying for the risk you chose by the possibility of incomplete features and hardware revisions-.

2 Likes

Certainly understand what you’re saying and don’t disagree really with your advice at all.

However, it’s just improper business conduct in my opinion. Putting or even allowing end consumers to wind up in a high risk situation where they may not be satisfied with the results and state of the product does not really give PIMAX any standing amongst competitors of being a trusted brand. No matter how good their product has the potential to be.

Some of the goals should be to increase quality, communications, consistency of results and product reliability.

I’m routing for PIMAX. Even though Pimaxquorra STILL hasn’t gotten back to us about some clarifications posed to them over a month ago. sigh

2 Likes

We have been singing this song for many years and yet, here we are.

I do not believe this is a result of Pimax not WANTING to be more professional or not seeing the extreme urgency for it; they have invested 1,000s if not 10,000s of hours into staff trying their very best to mitigate the shortcomings between marketing and reality.

At this point I am convinced that their managerial staff simply doesn’t have the skill set to turn a fun R&D underdog into a functional company.

That is why I personally chose to not again become a direct customer to their company whilst not excluidng the possibilty that I might become someone else’s customers who resells Pimax products but professionally so.

3 Likes

they could literally pay one of their fans to send email letting everyone BEFORE their pay how the crystal is gonna ship,i had random aliexpress seller tell me something isnt included something dirt cheap if someone selling 5$ stuff can do that there is no reason pimax cant while they ask premium prices for their products and advertises them as such,there is no excuse to copy paste a message it takes 2 minutes.

1 Like

I think it’s a matter of ‘internal’ decisions/mgmt at PIMAX. If the ‘source’ doesn’t have their ducks in a row, then their chosen output will simply reflect that situation with the level of accuracy and timeliness that we’ve seen thus far.

2 Likes

I am sure you have seen discord. Properly trained ppl need to be sending the emails. Otherwise you may end up with a mess. cc every order. :picardfp:

You don’t even need to do a copy paste just use the proper non cc to send to multiple recipients.

1 Like

That’s the true drama here: Pimax’ products aren’t bad per se, why would we otherwise still hang around in this forum? It’s their communication: if they advertised their products as they are, with certain given features a,b,c and a lot of upside, as they are trying to add features x,y,z, the customer would exactly understand what they are buying.

But they are stating from day one, the product announcement, that it will be capable of a-z.

And then the first pre-orderers get it (8 months after commercial launch date) and it’s still lacking x,y,z, with no reliable information (statements we do have, sure, but how often were Pimax announcements proven right and how often wrong) on if and when these will be operational.

As twack3r pointed out, if I ever consider getting me another Pimax headset, it will be via a retailer with the full set of customer rights, including a 2 years’ warranty here in Germany.

5 Likes

Yes that’s the best way to buy any Pimax product. Let the early buyers find defects, let Pimax make a new revision of the headset and when most of the initial problems are ironed out, buy from a retailer.

If you’re in a hurry with Pimax, you’ll most likely end up with disappointment.

3 Likes