Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

It looks like it’s more to do with Pimax drivers than AMD. I found this.

Did Pimax ever resolve this issue from 9 months ago?

Also is this the same problem for the Crystal?

They’re taking pre-orders already on the PIMAX Crystal. They should officially clearly state on their website for the PIMAX Crystal its compatibility capabilities for AMD GPUs at this point.
Failing to do so, after many inquiries, implies that they are not confident to do so.

Which means ultimately, poor planning and testing, but, they’ll take your money anyways for pre-orders.
Yeah. No one forcing people to pre-order. Yet, it basically puts people who own AMD GPUs at a disadvantage if they don’t take the risk to pre-order even if there’s no statement about it.

Based on your list there’s LOTS of things that need to be worked out. It’s not suprising.

I asked PIMAX Months ago if they can hit their end of year target for the PIMAX Crystal and or 12K QLED. To which they said they could. Well, they can’t. They’re not ready to release a mature product to the consumer and it’s just about the middle of December.
They won’t have this thing ready by the end of the year with everything addressed.

We’ll be lucky to see a solid product by March of 2023 it seems.

Correct, you‘d be pretty lucky to seen the Crystal fully feature-complete by then. For the 12K I think we can safely conclude there is no chance left to see it in such a complete state by end of March 2023.

1 Like

Pimax does act like Tesla: they overpromised things then try their best to achieve it.
Elon said the fully self driving will be available on 2022, yet still it was far from finishing the beta.
So I guess we should give Pimax some time to finish their testing too. If they can start selling Crystal at CES 2023, I’ll count it as a great and early accomplishment.

1 Like

Sure, but it’s just pure irresponsibility to make(imply) promises you don’t know you can really keep, or, keep within some target that you decided by literally being blind-folded by throwing a dart at a calendar.

Corp(or a single overlord CEO) and Marketing do not want to hear the RISKS and ROADBLOCKS that may need to be overcome in order to achieve lofty goals. They want to throw out juicy optimistic promises devoid of reality.

Many consumers simply (BELIEVE) in their great leader (i.e. Steve Jobs … Elon Musk… etc) without critical thinking nor questioning. It’s true when they say there’s a sucker born every minute.

It’s one thing to go on the road and build momentum for your product. It’s another thing to share unrealistic targets and utilize English words incorrectly, like ‘LAUNCH’ of a product, when the product still really isn’t a product yet. You wouldn’t launch a boat into the ocean with fundamental unresolved issues (like gaping holes on the hull). Very small minor flaws that can be resolved on the way that won’t sink the ship (but may kill your reputation and trust from your passengers/consumers).
I guess PIMAX wants to launch a more than leaky product.

I still have my hopes up. I’m just not all that impressed with how PIMAX has been conducting themselves…

2 Likes

CES 2023 could be the crunch. If Pimax turn up with a half finished Crystal in front of the worlds press how is it going to look when the Pico4 has most of the same functions.

CES 2022 and the 12k still leaves a sour taste in the mouth and 12 months on we’re still a long way off.

If I were to do a 8kX chart I bet their would be some red marks there like no AMD Drivers.

1 Like

Not really. Pico 4 is a direct competition with Meta’s Quest 2 and Quest Pro, but not Pimax’s Crystal. 20PPD is in no way comparable with 35PPD. The price range is also very different as well.

However, you actually can say “… when the Varjo Aero has most of the same functions…” and it was out like 11 months ago.

12k is a completely different high mountain to climb. I wouldn’t expect it to be available in the first half of 2023.

3 Likes

Yes really. Put a 3k QLED in the Pico Enterprise with a display cable and you virtually have the Crystal.

Pico 4 has hot swappable batteries, great tracking, WiFi that works and lenses that don’t give you eye strain. Don’t forget a working stand-alone store.

You really have to ask the question. Why doesn’t Pico go all in? Maybe because they don’t see a market big enough for the resolution that makes it worth the investment. 2k for 99% of casual VR users is good enough. The XR2 just doesn’t cut it for 3k stand-alone so you’re back to PCVR where most will want the 12k.

I have the Pico4 to tide me over while waiting for the Index2 or 12k. No regrets.

But that’s not what the Pico 4. Arguably like half of what makes a headset are the visuals.

I agree with @philpw99 here, 35PPD doesn’t compare to 20PPD.

Think of it like a 4k monitor vs 1080p. For the average person, like your non-tech savvy friend that just browses the net, if they ask for a 4K monitor then it’s fair enough to be like "Here’s a 1080p monitor that will serve you just aswell, if not better, for a fraction of the cost. But if someone is an enthusiast, like the type to come here, then when they are shopping for a 4K monitor they really want a 4K monitor and won’t accept 1080p as an alternative.

I get what you’re saying about an upgraded Pico 4, but it doesn’t exist so it’s not really relevant. If someone is interested in the crystal then odds are the Pico 4 is already long out of the question due to the near half PPD.

Pico 4 is a great device (although I returned mine a few days ago haha), so not bashing on it. Also it doesn’t have hotswappable batteries btw (unless you’re referring to the BoboVR aftermarket add-on, in which case all headsets have hotswappable batteries).

3 Likes

The Pico 4 exists as a consumer headset. Crystal does not exist as a consumer headset……yet. So you see it’s like a guy saying my imaginary girlfriend is better looking than your real girlfriend.

When Crystal is released then we see what features are still missing.

If Crystal was compete and released then I’d absolutely be backing it. But Pimax still say it’s a prototype with no launch date.

Until then Pico4 gets better and better. The latest 4090 Pico vids make it sound amazing fir a wireless device.

I am kind of speechless here lol. I think we just have very different ways of approaching/thinking about things, and I do appreciate your insight often. You lost me here tbh but I guess I’m just not seeing your point so that’s on me.

I’m definitely glad I tried the pico 4, and I see a lot of promise in their headsets. It wasn’t significant enough of an upgrade over the Quest 2 for me to justify keeping it (as I want a much higher PPD headset so would be upgrading again in the hopefully not too distant future, whethers that crystal, meganex or my arpara actually arrives lol, or something else). I did enjoy it, but the facial interfact was terrible for me, so it was going to involve some modding and also the lack of a 3.5mm jack was pretty annoying as I would definitely be modding on different headphones. If I didn’t have a Quest 2 already, or was going to upgrade, then I would have modded the Pico 4 and it likely would have become my go to headset for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

This is getting out of hand… We all know that Crystal’s release is imminent and lots of people have tried it. You really cannot say it doesn’t exist. And it’s quite a far analogy of “imaginary friends”.

Pico picture is only on par of Oculus Quest 2. It uses pancake lens, which reduce lots of weight but the brightness and picture quality will be negatively impacted. So if Pico 4 works for you, that’s all the best. But Pico 4 is definitely not for me, or anyone here who wants Varjo Aero’s level of picture quality.

2 Likes

Is it? In 2022? CES2023? Q2 2023?

I mean great if Crystal gets launched and all features turned on with no eye strain.

But have Pimax stopped production after the 2mm debarkel? Have Pimax retooled for the 2mm offset? Have Pimax now got a working display cable? Have Pimax now got calibrated lenses for production?

I mean Crystal is not imminent. It’s as much a prototype as Deckard. As Apples headset.

The roadshows have shown us the reality. It’s nowhere near imminent. Not even Pimax have said Crystal is imminent.

1 Like

This is true. I’m grounded in reality, others are in denial. Lol

1 Like

Have you noticed that the web is full of reports of faulty Pico lenses?
So there is still also some things that needs to be corrected. Well ok, Pico doesn’t care much, Kopin sells the finished panel-lens combos to anyone who wants them. They will stand up for it in short time… after only four years of development

1 Like

Yeah seeing everything that’s still missing I’m pretty sure we can forget about 2023Q1. Depending on how hard to fix the remaining issues are it could even indeed be (much) later.

3 Likes

the crystal has been tried by many people and exists, the deckard and apple headset do not exist and therefore have not been tried by many people.

3 Likes

PimaxUSA has just made this Chart unofficial, lol.

You mean the Crystal Prototype has been tried by many people? Yes you are right.