Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

To me, I have viewed PIMAX as the king of FoV.

This due to, well, their large FoV in other headsets.

Indeed to me, I felt like the company was trying to define itself among all other HMD makers by, in large part, their FoV.

Now, the Crystal is starting to become similar in a lot of respects to other HMDs on the market.
Well, at least FoV is no selling point what-so-ever now for PIMAX.

Picture, is now the selling point, and THAT is a good thing, to be sure.

Design, I suppose, could be considered another selling point.

FoV = No Big Deal…

PIMAX Crystal seems to try to be doing everything (or as much as possible) in one package.
It’s supposedly (I say this as we’re yet to see reliably some of the other features yet working on the device) going to provide multiple use-cases for not just PCVR, but Stand-Alone, Wireless (among others).

Let’s see if this Roman Empire approach works for them. :smile:

2 Likes

Pimax’s first hmds were standard low fov hmds.

They turned to forum members when they were stumped as all there drawings showed it should be doable. :wink:

2 Likes

Funny, you should ask that because Literally everybody who initially bought 8K-X backed it entirely on faith because the 8K-X initially didn’t even exist.

The company got so much backlash with their base 8K unit that only supported upscaling, during the Kickstarter campaign, that they said they would make a limited run of 8K-X units that would support native 4K when they had the hardware available.

It was vaporware until late in the game. very little hardware in 2017 could run 2 displays at native 4K with frame rates appropriate for virtual reality.

I was initially very critical, that the 8KX would even exist. But now it does, and see it works pretty damn well for what it is.

Very telling that only now with a 4090 can you even utilize the 8KX to its full potential

1 Like

I’m trying not to get sucked in to a: ‘Help me Obi-Wan(Pimax) Kenobi, you’re my only hope…’ type situation here. (only hope for an HMD that ticks my boxes)

Everything sounds all good on paper. Besides lacking a large FoV (at least noteably greater than Index), the Crystal checks off a lot of boxes.

It’s the EXECUTION and DELIVERY I’m concerned with.

So far PIMAX’s (unfortunate) reputation (mostly on them alone) is that they’re not very capable in the above.
That, and consistency on communication.

There are a lot of others on this forum that are also quite critical towards PIMAX and how they’ve operated in the past and up until this point.

Let’s not quickly mistake such criticism as some hate campaign. It’s because predominantly, in my opinion (like myself), most all of us truly want PIMAX to succeed and bring out a kick-butt product.

When I compare what we have all seen with the Crystal to what we experienced in the initial Pimax 8K kickstarter, the company
Has improved its communication and delivery by leaps and bounds.

1 Like

Yikes. Well there’s a TON more to go.

1 Like

lol well the Crystal’s various “launch” events don’t speak well to Pimax’s ability to control the marketing campaigns nor do they instill any confidence in me that they have a realistic handle on the amount of work still needed to finish the actual headset. Nor does the “beta test” that they kept pushing back until like 2 weeks before they decided to push the thing out the door.

Pimax has done nothing to show me they have changed in any way.

2 Likes

If I hit the preorder button today, what’s your best guess when it might ship?
Asking for a friend :wink:

1 Like

Pimax said a month ago if you order now you will get it in 3 months. But that got delayed 1 month. So going by Pimax ramping you would get your unit in July depending on the yield rate.

Sorry your friend would get it in July.

Pimax expects to be able to produce 3000-5000 units a month.

3 Likes

The lost link:

“One disadvantage of the Pancake optics is low efficiency which is typically around 10%”.

I don’t quite understand this sentence, because the pancake lenses lose some light, due to polarisation, but the Pico 4 lenses look perfect and I also lower the brightness so that the blacks in dark scenes look better.

I personally don’t like to get too much light in my eyes. In my opinion, on the OLED TV I have, HDR looks perfect without the need to turn up the brightness to the maximum and dazzle me every time a bright scene appears. I guess those of us who are projector fans prefer much less light.

Cheers,
Neo

2 Likes

Keep in mind your oled TV is not being viewed through lenses. The 10% efficiency is something that maybe needs more research to what all it means. For some it might not mean anything. But those folks whom thought the Vive needed more brightness it might be something different.

Then of course we had alegiant glyph with the eye projection?

On a different note though not long ago saw bionic eye

Latest adds Finn collection & Mrtv 3080 trials.

2 Likes

+100000000000

All it’s true and very good In your analysis :+1:t2::+1:t2::innocent::innocent:

Me I wanted à Pimax 12k for a Big-Fov

I test the Pimax Crystal at Pimax roadshow In paris 2022/ décember and items a true VR 3.0 ,thé Colors,black,contrast it’s amazing ,my Htc Vp2/Hp g2 are old vr 2.0 now for me :smiling_face_with_tear::smiling_face_with_tear:

Sorry for My poor english traduction :yum:

Aplushhsss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

I’m going to guess that, with the increase of FoV (i.e. the PIMAX 12K’s supposed larger FoV), will mean more required horsepower from one’s PC rig (GPU) in order to drive those extra pixels for the larger FoV.

Even with DFR I imagine so. Unless you drop your resolution on the displays downwards as a cost for more FoV.

I’m guessing from what PIMAX is saying, the only main differences between the Crystal and the 12K will be the displays/lenses (i.e. for wider FoV).

We don’t really know how big the 12K’s FoV will be, and I’m relatively sure PIMAX doesn’t know either. :rofl:

Since about, I guess, 80% of the Crystal is part of the 12k. One can surmise that upon a completed Crystal :rofl: , the 12K won’t be too far behind. Unless PURPOSELY held back so PIMAX can get sales for the Crystal.

BUT… Here’s a question:

Let’s say you guys who want what the Crystal has to offer, but want the larger DFoV you can get from the 12K.

If you know the 12K’s DFoV will be something like 160°, and the cost of the 12K is $500 more for that DFoV. Would you wait and purchase the 12K?

geesh… any poll function on these forums?

2 Likes

when did he mention that? I watched the entire podcast but I couldn’t find it?

lol, where is my sword controllers with joysticks, or finger tracking on the regular swords

Also better with age…my cracked 5k+ begs to differ.

:joy:

Not to mention my 5k+ panel went crazy and is broken and when asked about repair out of warranty I was basically told here’s a $100 coupon go buy a new headset.

2 Likes

5 years on my 5K+ and still woks great. Even if mine died now I would feel I had gotten my money’s worth. Spend more on beer in a year than that and that would be like 1 beer a day average, I get more hours a day out of vr than what how long it takes to drink a beer :grinning:
Seems like good recreational dollars spent for me. I have spent more on things that lasted less time…Up to now my 5K+ and LH+Index controllers have given me recreation at a cost of 21 cents per hour. Can’t think of what else I might enjoy at .21/hr… Not even a piece of gum :smiley:

Tis unfortunate yours died though. Doesn’t seem to a prevalent failure. RIP

3 Likes

yeh this often depends on your head.
I do alwyas get the same numbers as voodoo.

1 Like

Yup i only go for the fov.i also may other other modules that come with it, so it may increase in price.
Why do you ask , not sure what to order ?