Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Did someone launch a rival forum?

Both.

The eye box is the largest I have seen with my own eyes with the Pico 4 pancake lenses and even larger with the Quest Pro pancake lenses.

The angular range in focus of the Quest Pro is close to 100% in both scopes because of the shape factor of the panels and the magnification of the lenses.

This is very different to the Pimax 8KX where the angular range in focus does not reach the entire lens due to the elongated form factor of the panels. For that reason they cover large areas with black masks.

In my opinion, with Crystal, Pimax returns to the path of reasonableness, with squarer form factor screens and without the need to apply black masks, and I consider that to be a good thing.

To paraphrase Jodie Foster in the movie Contact, so much wasted space on the Pimax 8K, 5K, 8K+, 5K+ and 8KX.

Here’s my latest test between lenses (in Cervantes Spanish):

Cheers,
Neo

2 Likes

No not a rival. Just something new for all with more ease of use.

Your welcome to join; just keep in mind were there to discuss XR product experiences, features and services and not financial speculations/profiles. Low drama.

A key advantage of building a forum from the ground up vs patching and rebranding an existing forum. Is a cleaner easier to use environment. Similar to a game built for vr vs one patched.

Just in theory as it is supposed to be here.

On xrtropolis.one we might add a couple of free-for-all, rant, off topic tags in Lounge that folks can mute. But that will be discussed with the community. As this forum will be built with community feedback to be a community built with community for community.

3 Likes

Very nice write up. If not mistaken though the liirc also suffers not being native for pc. Unless your using the older pico model option with the dp connection.

Both hmds would be interesting if also used high quality aspherical lenses. As Sont, GearVR, pimax Varjo and of course Xtal whom use WFoV lenses have all shown the value of quality aspherical lenses can do.

It is ashame Sony released the psvr2 with fresnel? this time around.

Do you own the XR Forum?

1 Like

Indeed I do. I have 100% full control. So no expiry on the site cert, I should know when to scale up the mail server etc…

The main thing is this will be a fully neutral space for XR & Handheld discussions.

But discussions about hardware, software features and manufacturer services. Not speculations on company’s financials.

While it is unfortunate when any company folds if it should happen. There are almost always community groups that will find ways to support products long after it is eof.

ie Nouveau(sp?) is an opensource Nvidia that still supports many old gpu cards.

3 Likes

Well belated congratulations. When did it open? I did wonder why you kept pumping links there. Haha.

4 Likes

Well started configuring things late January to this end. It has been around for a long time setup by a fellow member here initially to try things out in a test environment. We were sharing costs.

As his priorities changed he offered and transfered the vps to me.

As for officially opened? It has not fully officially opened as somethings are still being worked out in the layout.

But is ready enough for ppl to join, participate and provide feedback to further shape things to come.

2 Likes

I joined, but why no talk on financials? We have at least 3 years before Pimax needs another bailout.

1 Like

Yes no need to discuss any companies’ projected financial woes. If truth be known even Meta is experiencing heavy losses that they have been laying off game devs.

However they are not alone.

We need to more focus on products and experiences related like Warranties, after sales.

Bumped your user level and sent you an online chat dm.

Pimax and other companies can worry about there businesses and hope for the best with there decisions good &/or bad.

We just meed to enjoy and focus on products and experiences they promote good & bad.

Already said that above lol.

Chat notifications is in the message bubble top bar.

2 Likes

Just read on another forum a person who pre-ordered the Crystal early on day 1 has had a payment notification and it’ll ship in 10 days.

1 Like

So today is the day May 4th Pimax announce shipping to pre orders.

2 Likes

Yeah supposedly the first 50 pre-orders are now asked to pay the full amound and will be shipped ASAP ™

2 Likes

Kind of interesting when most of the beta testers are still on the plastic temp lenses. It seems the whole reason they did this ‘beta’ test was just to cherry pick some quotes and put them in a video. Marketing reasons more than really improving the product. But oh well, pimax gonna pimax.

Let’s see what the 50 first users are going to say about the product.

6 Likes

Yeah and how many of those 50 are going to be 4090 owners?

We now know Crystal ships with no Stand-alone features, no eye tracking, no auto IPD, no LH face plate and an FOV of 103 degrees.

On the plus side Crystal has the best optics and image quality in VR at a relatively modest price point.

So credit to Pimax for getting Crystal out the door even if it’s missing key features.

I’m waiting to see how much Pimax sell the optional wide FOV lenses for and how wide they can go.

There’s no way I’m buying a headset to then need to pay extra for the LH FP, extra DMAS and extra lenses which should all come as standard for £1800.

3 Likes

At a guess wipl mirror testers 9n visuals . But will likely not be impress that no ET, Wireless or Standalone working &/or independently reviewed before being asked to commit to purchase.

Seems there nore eager ti ship in a less finished state then the KS hmds had.

:picardfp: :pimax_logo_png:

3 Likes

Do they communicate the current state of functionality to those who pre-ordered and are now given the opportunity to buy?

It‘s one thing to take a conscious decision to buy a product in early access with no guarantee of completion, but quite a different story if you are unaware.

3 Likes

Wow.

Whilst I congratulate Pimax on Crystal‘s launch happening NOW, I fear that the exact scenario both naysayers and Pimaxians agreed would be the worst outcome is actually what is happening: no meaningful beta feedback implementation and actually shipping a product that isn’t just lacking feature completion on USPs such as the Lighthouse faceplate but even somewhat essential elements that the competition has successfully introduced more than 2 years ago such as ET and wireless streaming.

I sincerely hope first movers aren’t bitten in the backend because future development shows that hw revisions become necessary.

In any event I‘m looking forward to the reviews and impressions of those first 50 individuals.

5 Likes

Well the Lighthouse face plate being an optional purchase is not as big of a deal. But when over half the onboard features are not enabled/demoed working is just crazy. Much worst than when HTC released the VP1 with broken audio.

1 Like

Well, I guess its show time, so let the reviews trickle in. Although I wouldn‘t be willing to dish out the money just for better resolution and blacks/colors, but w/o wireless, etc., there clearly are some folks who would settle for that so let‘s hope it performs all of the features required for this basic use case well enough to make it a satisfying experience for these users.

1 Like