Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Do you think pimax will watch and learn from the extremely valid feedback? Pimax has yet to conduct a structured beta test group.

The sword and DMAS beta was pointless as they seem to already have it in place to release and ship ignoring all feedback. Otherwise for example Sword would have had the Trigger switched due to poor quality. One fellow the trigger only does not register if the controller is held upsidedown.

And well we know the dmas didn’t have any issues fixed reported by testers and the revised 8kX didn’t really fix anything. Just made the audio setup janky.

2 Likes

true, i hope they will this time because otherwise they get a storm of unhappy customers, and another misstep to attract mainstream customers, it’s concerning and to have a beta testgroup as late as having preorders is another choice i can’t understand at all, the random bugs and connection problems is a nightmare even worse when the device is almost 2000 usd incl vat.

3 Likes

I would put it differently: to conduct a beta test far too early when the product is not yet ready to even let the beta testers try all major features is a weird choice.

Forget the preorder situation: we heard that back on 30 September too, remember? Didn‘t mean anything, as it transpired, although they allegedly were merely two weeks away from sending out the units to Chinese customers.

It is what it is.

1 Like

That is what a closed beta typically is vs a public beta. See Valve Knuckles whom received many variations before the final release candidate.

Pre orders in general can be wonky. With pimax… best to wait for the actual release.

1 Like

This is the way

Yes and to make it even worse then that, send it unfinished to public youtubers who won’t hold back, makes me think wasn’t she under nda…

2 Likes

I think we are in the release window. Pretty much all YTs say they’re getting retail versions now. Its hard to believe anything Pimax say.

From December.

3 Likes

Still seems risky to me.

Anything wrong with the hardware design that can’t be fixed on the software side…
I mean… I’d be more comfortable if I knew their hardware was working correctly with Auto-IPD, among other things, before going out retail.

4 Likes

People are ready to take the risk especially those with a 4090 who don’t need eye tracking.

People with money are basically causing the problems.

Because they then just throw their money at any game maker or product maker to get the latest new thing because they can’t wait for it.

Thus these game-makers with their ‘Open Betas’ are getting lots of money from people, and just training these companies that they can skip due diligence and product maturing steps in order get the $$.
i.e. If one puts thousands of dollars into a developing game, ahem. Chronicles of Elyria, and see nothing in return. That’s the worst case scenario.
If one sees a game released they funded the same way, but not what was advertised/expected, that’s still bad.

It creates a tolerance for companies to be able to over-promise and under-deliver, because they’re still getting money from whales who have a lot of disposable income.
The idea of ‘I don’t care, just let me buy it even if it isn’t finished’ is really not helping…

4 Likes

Maybe but in theory with only scheduling what would have only been 2 to 3 weeks of beta testing tops. Had they been able to release by end of April. Seem to suggest the beta was only being done so they could say ‘see we had one’.

However what were seeing the beta is indeed needed as 50% or more of the hmd is not ready for the beta testers to test drive.

They really need to hire a project manager who knows how to market a realistic timeline. At this stage considering this is a base FoV hmd the ET and other Tobii features should be working.

It seems they might have a micro manager vs having a manager whom understands what there over seeing.

I am overall impressed with what works well and has been shown/independently evaluated.

It is the missing elephants that are concerning and diminishes in part some of what they have acheived.

3 Likes

Nah your giving pimax an easy excuse. This is more pimax still being overzealously immature in there ability to guesstimate timelines as there not estimating them it seems.

The only pressure to release is self derived stemming from poor planning & execution.

5 Likes

Hahaha. Yeah that sounds like Pimax. Somebody had the idea ‘lets do a beta test’ and then they do it but don’t do anything with the results at all. In fact all hardware is already finalized! Then they ship out some lenses with final glass lenses, others with plastic ones (LOL), features not working, headsets not even connecting in some instances. And they call it a day :slight_smile:

Old time “Pimaxians” are not surprised at all. BUT at least some of the results seem hopeful. Let’s hope Pimax can fix the issue’s and get everything working within a few months. But again, old time Pimaxians know that with Pimax, NOTHING is certain :slight_smile: What does seem quite certain at this point is that IF they release the headset within a few months, not all features will work they way they should.

8 Likes

MRTV gets his this week. That should be interesting.

3 Likes

Not sure what they’re smoking at Pimax.

2 Likes

Indeed odd to call it an unofficial official commercial.

:picardfp:

2 Likes

I like the sense of humor. They‘re cleaning up their marketing announcements by removing any specs they fear they may not be able to perform - at the end only „Crystal!!“ is left… :laughing:

2 Likes

Hmmm. @Butters007 Is there an alternative chip to the XR2? remember this chip handles a lot of the features Pimax designed into the Crystal. The xr2 handles eyetracking and inside out tracking. Without the XR2, or some equivalent chip, Pimax would have to make the Crystal a strictly PCVR tethered VR headset, and would require base stations. Having worked with the inside out tracking on the Crystal for a while now, I’m quite happy with it.
So… I’m not sure what the alternatives are for pimax.

3 Likes

Well for an alternative idea would need to revisit Sulon-Q; however since the xr2 is used in cheap Quest 2 hmds. The price would be hefty compared to the Crystal’s reasonable price point with the clearer target bring an Aero with potentially far mire goodies and being a complete vr hmd set.

Yeah, it sums up everything happening in Pimax.
If there is a planet called “Pimax”, and we are all Pimaxians, I am sure that planet is circling the Sun every 635 days. Everyone on that planet smokes something to relax, because though the days are mostly sunny, but the time flows very very slowly…

From the day they announced that “There will be 30 beta testers…” We should have known that the official release were still many months away. Right now the beta testers just barely finished the testing. We still need to give Pimax time to process the feedback, find out the problem, then improve the final product.

I am not discourage any buyers here. Just want to state the timeline realistically. If you want to own the goodies of Pimax, you must have the patience.

2 Likes