Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Oke yeah that can happen when a engineer is the CEO also :slight_smile: thanks for letting me know you had exaclty the same problems, that’s no coincidence, good to hear i’m not the only one. Maybe it’s because of early production? i don’t know

3 Likes

It’s rather more than that my friend. The Varjo XR-3 (flagship model) costs $6,495 before taxes plus $1495 a year subscription fee.

Source: Virtual & Mixed Reality Headsets for Professionals – Varjo XR-3 & VR-3

1 Like

Without actually intending to throw doubt on anybody’s abilities, nor behaviours (I’m really not; I’m mostly engaging in hyperbole, here, to paint a starkly defined picture), I’m not so much getting the impression of “engineer leadership”, as of the dreaded: “ideas guy”. -The Chris Roberts-y fellow who steps into a toy store, and points in every direction all at once, and exclaims: “I want one of everything, and I want everybody to say I invented all of it!”, without any understanding about the intricacies of putting it all together – such pitiful minutea is for the: “mere tools under the guidence of my unmatched creativity”, to figure out (and woe any who says: “no”). :stuck_out_tongue:

The engineer would more likely be the one trying to restrain any unrealistic tendencies.

3 Likes

Well, yes and no: it‘s true that this behaviour seems illogical for somebody who should actually understand how difficult it will be to implement, integrate the features. But still I have witnessed engineers in big projects get excited about stuff they had read about, just quickly thinking about would this feature be doable stand-alone, then coming to the conclusion that they roughly could figure out how to do it and -boom-, it‘s on the spec list!

This comes from their intrinsic motivation which made them become an engineer - they are like the kid in the toy shop you described, and they get carried away by the thought how cool it would be if they pulled it off, to create such a machine or gadget (and how others will admire them for being such great engineers).

2 Likes

During the French Revolution three men were sent to the guillotine. A teacher, a doctor, and an engineer. The blade dropped towards the teacher and miraculously halted a centimetre above his neck. The committee declared it an act of God, and released him. The same thing happened with the doctor, and he too was released. When they pushed the engineer into place, he craned his neck upwards and said: ‘ Hey, I think I see what your problem is here!”

2 Likes

What happened to Robin Weng? He was the founder and ceo.

1 Like

He still is. Nordic id a co CEO.

1 Like

HI :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

you said it all.:+1:t2::+1:t2:

yes a company of engineers which adds unfinished functionalities and it becomes a gas factory.
Like the 8kx in 2017, promised to us backers in June 2019 and which was finished with an unreliable soft pitool in Nov/2020!!!
And the plastic of my 5k+ which was falling apart, you forgot too??
So these 12k/crystal will be marketed with all the promised and functional functions =

Aplushhss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

Hello

The problem it’s not a drone 50€ In Amazon :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

t is not contemptuous that since 1990 china goes up its abyssal technological backwardness by all possible official/non-official means, it is an observation.
The boss of pimax, I certainly don’t blame him for getting into the niche of high-end high-fov headphones with 5k/5k+.
But we are not children of the last rain, we tested from A to Z our pimax helmets, we suffered from these helmets which were more prototypes marketed than finalized helmets.
So yes our fear of 2022 is confirmed, as in 2017, a Chinese helmet designed in China by Chinese is not finalized:

• Just an observation

Aplushhsss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Wow, just wow ! Your answer just made me speechless… Now I know what I am dealing with. :face_exhaling:

• Dji certainly doesn’t produce cheap drones. Most of them are more expensive than Pimax HMDs.
  • You certainly don’t know what had happened in China since 1990. “abyssal technological backwardness” is the opposite of what happened there.
  • You are “suffering” ? Well, from my observation, using any Chinese product will be a suffering for you.
4 Likes

Unfortunately over the years western media has painted Chinese products in a bad light focusing on low quality knock offs. While most I suspect do not realise how many quality products feature the “made in china”.

The black housing pimax early KS headsets unfortunately did not have consistent quality. This was corrected to a degree with the Vision Housing. Housing wise the Vision series has much better quality. The Black Housings unfortunately are known to have potential cracks.

4 Likes

Whilst I agree that Pimax hasn’t been able to keep the promises and timelines they have put out over the years, I don’t think it’s in any way meaningful to attribute this to a specific nationality.

You are a consumer - if you don’t like a product or a company, don’t do business with them.

I don’t think it’s fair on the level of simple human decency to mix your frustration with what can be considered racism.

After all, as a fellow European, I find it incredible how a nation such as France has devloved into a non-prdouctive strike-force, causing immense damage to its wealth and the wealth of its surrounding partners. But I respect that this is parto fo the required national dialogue to find a common ground as a society.

Let’s please keep it civil and respectful here, no matter how disappointed some might feel regrading Pimax and its communication.

10 Likes

Couldn’t agree more @twack3r , well said.

3 Likes

Uh, you must be relatively young - I recall that in the 80’s it was sort of every two weeks there was some kind of strike going on in France.

At the same time, for some reason, years later France overtook e.g. Germany in some charts related to productivity or something comparable, so perhaps we shouldn’t be too quick to think that the net outcome of such activities is detrimental to productivity, if one doesn’t focus only on the few days when they take place. After all, these are typically related to securing fair compensation & treatment of labor forces, citizens etc. and a employee or citizen feeling well-treated will in average be more productive than a disgruntled one.

But that’s a discussion for another day & forum, I guess…

4 Likes

HI :innocent:

Good evening

Your answer no longer talks about a country’s computer hardware and industrial capacity.
If I was a racist (your words are serious ? ??? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::hot_face:) as you say I wouldn’t be buying pimax helmets since 2014 and having Chinese/Cambodian/Vietnamese friends in Paris since my childhood in 1974 in Paris.

For the strikes in France in the 80s every 15 days, you had to live in a temporal time different from ours, you must have seen FrenchBullshit on your German television channels in the 80s??

Okay, let’s get over these low-level pranks, at the roadshow in Paris I spoke at length and in a friendly way with the Chinese representative of the pimax brand with joy, good humor and a passion for VR.
I assure you we did not get out of the guns lol.

The problem with google translation is that word-for-word translation still cannot understand all the subtleties of language in each country in 2023!

To return to our debates on pimax helmets, we (almost) had our answers to our questions with the video of sebastian from #MRTV with the boss of pimax.
The first 100 crystal helmets delivered in April for pre-orders, then deliveries of other crystal helmets from June 2023, 3 months to have a crystal helmet and the ramp-up for the manufacture of crystal helmets!
Here, it’s concrete finally by an official way and not 5km from mp to know if the earth is round or square.
But uncertainties persist:
The pimax boss didn’t talk about some details:
-the 42ppd lenses?
price delivered when?

• Large fov lenses/availability price, their 3 fov calculations=:
    Vertical/Height/Diagonal .
    -Wigi optional, price and availability?

To finish on the technological backwardness of China, it is not me who said it but the 1st secretary of the Chinese Communist Party at their last party conference.
The Chinese president recognized China’s backwardness in technology and set a target of 2050 to overtake the United States in technology.
I hope so for China, to have more and more countries on our planet with maximum technological capabilities!

aplushhsss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

HI

you lived in France in the 80s :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Aplushhsss :innocent:

1 Like

No, but it is my recollection that we heard of strikes in the news shows from some group, be it train workers, peasants, etc. pretty frequently in comparison to Germany, where it was quite a big story if there was not just the usual threatening with strikes, but actually carrying it out - it was rather rare that it happened.

But let‘s not take this any further - as I tried to explain in my previous post, imho it is not necessarily a bad sign if such strikes happen, it rather shows that possibly some societal developments were overdue and the strikes helped accelerate these.

3 Likes

Hi

+1000000000

Each country has its history for centuries.
It is true that we old Gauls fight very often socially, our country has a lot of trouble socially accepting the loss of our social gains, dearly acquired for 150 years, because of the European agreements of Mastritch which removes them from us one after the other. others .
Our social model is in danger.
Yes we are among the most productive Europeans, for 35 years we have been working like dogs with miserable wages, that is why we are productive, we would have done without this record.
As Germany was after the reunification of the 2 Germanys, you too have worked like dogs!
I am 56 years old, I have been working since the age of 16 without counting my hours and I am tired of working like a dog to die at 65 years old having enjoyed a single year or even none of a deserved retirement!
But hey, I’m more in the 80s of my youth, the era is much darker but I don’t fill myself with what the Ukrainians are going through without heating, bombarded by barbarian cowards for 1 year.
There is more to life in 2023 than VR headsets.
To return to the Crystal/12k helmet, I will see when they will be ready and on sale on amazon to take advantage of amazon’s after-sales service

Aplushhhsss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

3 Likes

None of this has anything to do with the Pimax Crystal.

There was a roadshow this past week, was there any new developments from that?

3 Likes

No, it was very much the same as CES just perhaps somewhat improved software. That’s not a bad thing really, just no new features shown off or such.

2 Likes