Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

+100000000. It’s true

Aplushhss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Hello :innocent:

This video is communication and not information!
Large fov in optional novelty:

-Ok but what fov?
Diagonal fov?
Vertical Fov/Height?

Fov ok but what are the 3 values for these new #Grand Fov lenses?

The lady in the video spreads her arms to show the difference in fov?
Is this a joke?
We show calculations of Fov by spreading the arms?
We are frankly in the ubiquitous !!!

Then these new lenses, it starts from a good intention but does it not reveal that the crystal lenses - of 35ppd never had a diagonal fov at 140 as promised in June 2022 during the presentation of the pimax crystal helmets /12k ???
What are the true 3 values of the crystal -35ppd as apparently no youtuber in the world has the right software to calculate it in a crystal

And their ppd has these #Grand fov lenses?
Their price, their sale?
Crystal release date?

End of 2023 or rather 2024 for a 100% functional crystal/12 k?
Finalize 100%, released its 2 helmets in 2024 rather, commercial release more serenely as we see that the development of crystal / 12k are in truth not finished ???

apluhssssss​:innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

do you mean those scenes? reminded me “exorcism” (emily rose)

I’m not going into the timelines from the interview. wishful thinking squared. end date unknown because still under development.

5 Likes

Yes lol :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Fov information =0

Aplushhss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

According to the MRTV interview with Nordic the CEO, the first few hundreds of preorders will be shipped the end of April(= delivered may/june) if you preorder now shipping end of june (= delivered juli/august). When on earth will it be available retail, keeping in mind these are Pimax promises

3 Likes

And in the Nordic interview with MRTV in January he said 200 would be shipped by the end of Jan.

This time it may or may not be true but no point in getting your hopes up.

6 Likes

I’ll have to go back to re-watch, but I thought Seb mentioned that while the new FoV lenses did create a large FoV effect, it was just a stretching of the image.
I think Nordic mentioned that they had chips in the lenses to tell the headset which lenses were in use, and they just needed to get that working in order for the display to be adjusted appropriate based on the lens set.

That sound right?

3 Likes

That’s what I recall. The visual field configuration is stored for each lens I guess. I think the firmware needs some tweaking for the new lenses as well.

That does sound correct, I think the biggest concern wouldn’t be stretching or distortion imo, it would be a reduced stereo overlap. I could see the wider being good for racing sims in particular, but most use cases would probably benefit more from the 35PPD.

1 Like

HI :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

As the French proverb says:

-promises only bind those who believe in them :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

My question last December 7 in Paris at the roadschow at @sweviver had been when the Pimax Crystal would be sold on amazon?:thinking:

• He told me:
    -Around March/April 2023 for standard Pimax!

Well here we are in March 2023!

So appointment for me definitely with pimax crystal/12k in 2024/25 when they will be finalized at 100%.
I just ordered myself an Htc Vive Pro2 out of spite almost to replace my HP G2 as at pimax nothing is ready in the end this year.

Bye and see you in 2024 see in 2025 if by now the Varjo hasn’t unveiled a Varjo Aero 2 at large Fov too :heart_eyes:

aplushhsss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

I think they’re gonna want to get their Crystal out first and selling well to build momentum.
I don’t think they’re (or need to be) in any hurry to get the 12K out at the moment.
I mean, even with a 4090, what PC can really handle to max out for resolution that the 12K will offer?
Perhaps 5000 or 6000 series nVidia GPUs will be better suited for the 12K IMO.

As much as I’m interest in the 12K, what 12K drop dead features are a must have compared to a FEATURE COMPLETE Crystal?

2 Likes

The obvious 1 is the 12K will have a huge fov, the Crystal doesn’t.

2 Likes

At this rate it will be on Amazon in the Fall :slight_smile: I don’t want to preorder directly and get only 1 year of warrenty with a device of 1900 (tax included) in early production.
In fall there will the Quest 3 with high resolution and small formfactor wich is tempting, as maybe a new Varjo?
I dont understand why Pimax would cramp all possible features in one headset,and create all sorts of extra problems . If they just went further on the 8kx concept with lighthouses and the new high resolution panels with new lenses we would have a great headset wich is alligned with there fanbase and simmers who want it.
I don’t see the need for this high res stand alone with such a bulky headset and required to use the battery’s while meanly playing pcvr.
And i think the casual gamer who likes standalone has different priority’s then high fiddelity.

5 Likes

Yeah, though the word ‘supposedly’ has increased in meaning for me when it comes to FoV and PIMAX.
So at the moment I have a high level of skepticism regarding FoV.
Hopefully that will decrease once we see more accurate and better FoV results for the Crystal and their ‘new lenses’.

Other than FoV, what other key feature(s) would entice one to spend more money on the 12K at this point?

I think if GPUs were floating around within some reasonable price-range that could handle the resolution of the 12K with ease. providing a very decent and playable framerate, WITHOUT having to crank DOWN the game settings to achieve playability, then I’d say yea.
In some ways I think the 12K is even more reliant on the next nVidia series, its price point, and its performance.

If things stay as expensive or even more expensive, then that puts the 12K into even a more NICHE market. VR is still relatively niche anyways.
I don’t think at this point they’ll be making money on the 12K at high volume sales, so the price will likely be very high in any case.

2 Likes

That’s a good point.

Though, as you probably already figured out.

I believe PIMAX wants to become a major player in the VR space overall, and not just cater to a simmer audience. Thus the Crystal and the many features (stand-alone), etc to appeal to a broader range of consumers.

Admittedly, if they can get the Crystal working, with all intended features working as promised and working well. Along with sorting out the FoV to be at least half-way between the 8K and the Index etc. Then they could have a major hit on their hands.
It’s just the way they’ve gone about ‘communicating’ it…

Just waiting for the PUDDING. The proof is ultimately in that.

5 Likes

Yes,i would like them to succeed with that, but i remain a bit sceptical because only the enthousiast/prosumers like us would pay such a price. And the Portal is a bit weird and eccentric in it’s own ways. I would skip the portal, develop the crystal as sort of 8kx device at about the same pricelevel and features. And for the consumer a Pico4 like device but with a display port, but who am i :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good morning :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

I, like you, have become even more skeptical with the crystal/12k marketing reports.
And as you say, communication has become very amateurish!
Pimax is a Chinese craft company, which manufactures Chinese VR headsets made in China with Chinese technology.

When we analyze the technical specifications of crystal / 12k, we see that pimax is more than 4/5 years late or even more in Western technology with the company #Varjo.
Pimax often talks about #Varjo in technical comparisons, #Varjo is for pimax their master standard in technology, their benchmark to be reached in 2023/2024.
Varjo in 2020 by marketing in 2020 the Varjo Aero / Vr-3 and XR-3 versions has raised the technological level in vr next gen 3.0 very high.
And for me pimax is trying to catch up with them in technology but it can’t do it yet.
They are still in #BETA mode!!!
Personally I loved my Pimax 5k+ headset in 2017 for its great fov compared to other vr headset manufacturers like:-varjo/HP/meta/Htc/Valve which only offers headsets with a fov-diagonal/Horizontal/vertical at 110 or 120 no more.
It was that which pushed simulators / automobile / planes to the purchase of the pimax 8kx.
This was what differentiated pimax from other VR headset manufacturers since 2017.
Simers no longer want helmets between 90/120 fov.
I do a lot of car competitions on #Iracing in multiplayer and high fov helmets are a necessity for me.
I expect a lot from the future pimax 12 k.
If pimax can’t make it, can’t make it reliable, give all the functions promised, I’d buy myself a pimax 8kx or a probable future Varjo Aero 2 in 2024.

aplushhsss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

that’s a plan. Unfortunatly the canted lenses and design didn’t work for me in the end. I had an 8k 8k+ 8kx, and especially with the 8kx there was always something off wich a couldn’t get right and got the feeling i was damaging my eyes after some time. Then i got a Reverb G2 and it was made for me, it is like looking into the real world without any eyestrain and with the rtx 4090 its beautifull supersampling everything 200%. Great sound and comfort, so that was the choice for me. I will buy and try the crystal when it retails, i remember sebastian saying it’s as relaxed for the eyes as the reverb g2, so i’m hoping for that.

6 Likes

What the hell were you implying? Dji drones are also the same. 90% of the electronic devices selling in Amazon are also manufactured in China with Chinese tech, you got a problem with that?

Obviously you are confused with other Varjo headsets. XR2 and XR3 are the ones which were released back in 2020, but they are selling them for $3200, even today. Aero was the one that could reach the sub $2000 level. It was released in 2021.

After that Varjo seemed to be in a state of limbo: there is no new headset after Aero, which was still using the same resolution like all other Varjo headsets back in 2019. So you were comparing a stalling company like Varjo to the constantly evolving Pimax. Today I don’t see Varjo doing any new developments. The “4/5 year late” you mentioned no longer exists.

Also the “Western technology” sounds strange. Pimax uses Qualcomm chipsets, and that doesn’t qualify as “Western technology”?

Sure, if Pimax fails to produce reliable Crystal or 12k, I myself won’t buy it. But I am more optimistic about them, more open to see that they are just an international company which headquarters in Shanghai, China. I will not give them so much negative opinions, merely based on their locations.

They are managed by an engineer. Not a business man, not a gamer, but an engineer. So the are fascinated by adding features over features w/o really considering if it will work best for the actual users, being either a gamer at a PC, or a stand-alone social VR user, etc… They try to make everybody happy and create a monster with all specs included, but diminishing usability for either use case as a result. Typical engineer trap.

Exactly my story. After having spent many hours over 3 weeks to dial in the IPD settings in hardware & software, I managed to reduce the headache I would get from using the 8KX; but I would still need some 20-30 seconds to adjust my sight to the real world afterwards, which I never experienced with any other headset (5K+ and 8K weren‘t as bad). That really wasn‘t pleasant and worried me - one of two main reasons for me using my G2 currently while the 8KX is collecting dust (the other is the ease of use to not have to bother about PiTool setting per game).

3 Likes