Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I’m not sure Seb comparing £1000 PSVR2 and PS5 to a £5000 Crystal and 4090 rig is a good idea. Lol

3 Likes

I don’t see the point personally, they are different categories and target market for the most part. You don’t compare a Ferrari to a Kia for a reason. Doesn’t mean the kia isn’t vastly better value for money, easier to drive, has additional features specifically for that market etc.

2 Likes

psvr 2 still wins with colors and hdr xD But I am super excited getting the crystal since I dont have my aero

2 Likes

Where is the problem, he is trying to make the comparison clear to the users.

Furthermore, you compare here every day the business- with economy class. ^^

Given the emphasis Pimax has given on promoting the visuals and the state at which Seb reports same, it would seem the lenses are what they were shooting for. Unless you have specific info of a pending lens change I can’t see that unless they feel they can improve even more.
As for comparing visuals with PVSR, I felt it was fair to offer a comparison as it’s a current tech, if only to compare visuals. Not concerned it’s a different platform. Still of interest from that perspective.

1 Like

Well I came up with the RoS scale for this very reason. PSVR has a RoS of 100 compared to Crystal on 20, when you take everything into consideration.

Even now in mid March we don’t have any reports on wireless, stand-alone, streaming or a shipping date apart from Testers in April if it happens. Wide FOV lenses are now only just being talked about.

Sebs next video will be an eye opener I’m sure.

1 Like

Yeah, we need the same game running side by side.

No doubt 2880x2880 aspheric lenses and a 4090 make the difference but 5x the difference? Maybe if clarity over price is the priority Crystal makes sense. As a profitable sustainable business model goes £1800 and a niche PC it is not. But let’s go another 3 years and wait for the next round of sell offs because it’s guaranteed.

1 Like

to answer such questions was indeed his goal of the trip. the first episode of the series disappointed me a lot.

3 Likes

Errr, that‘s what we call enthusiast products. In other industries you may also see it being labeled as prosumer, premium, luxury, etc. goods. The relative gain in quality is substantially smaller than the increase in price.

Seems sustainable enough for a fair number of brands out there.

The big difference though is that those in most cases do manage to keep the quality higher than the budget competition consistently throughout the different features and components of the product. This is an area where Pimax has struggled in the past and we will have to see if this has improved enough to warrant their pricing.

2 Likes

That’s always the way with these things. A high-end GPU, a luxury car, first class on a flight etc etc. The higher end you go the drastically less value you get, but if you have the money and absolutely want the best then it might be worth it for you.

What do you mean by sell offs? Like discounted headsets?

1 Like

If price is no object why didn’t everyone go buy a Varjo VR-3? That had 2880 OLEDs and Aspherics 2 years ago.

It’s actually fun to watch Sebs reaction to the VR-3 as it’s extacitly the same reactions he gives Crystal.

2 Likes

Selling portions of their business to investors every 3 years regular as clockwork. Varjo have done the same so not picking specifically on Pimax.

Because this is a product to work with, the special features are not usable for games anyway, and the FOV is only mid-range.

2 Likes

Did you watch the MRTV video I posted? He was blown away and mirrored the Crystal reaction.

If the VR-3 was reduced to £1800 then what for Crystal?

You see price plays a huge difference and it’s not all about who’s classed as enthusiast or not due to their entry level price.

Until Crystal ships in large numbers other manufacturers can sit and watch until the time is right. And I don’t see large numbers coming until the end of 2023 the way things have gone so far anyway.

Investment rounds are a positive sign for a company like Pimax imo. How do you feel about Public companies selling shares? That’s the ultimate selling out I suppose. Can often stifle innovation and leave companies chasing short-term profits, it’s a very mixed bag.

1 Like

I have tried the VR3 and XR3. Honestly, I would rather an Aero, as the clarity for non-custom software (which is all I would be using) is the same as the Aero but with much more weight.

The aero is the VR3 with the enterprise stuff stripped out and it’s still not many people’s first choice. It has terrible stereo-overlap (literally the worst of any headset), poor vertical fov, distortions and lacks any audio (including even a mic!).

For some though, that still makes sense. It has fantastic build quality, clarity and is colour corrected. So it’s like a high end sports car that has no boot (for day to day functionality), smashes into speed bumps etc but has the acceleration and trim that that customer is looking for.

Also no one has ever said price is no object. It’s just that high-end stuff having a rapidly diminishing value proposition is the normal across essentially all products. I’m quite certain this isn’t a new or novel concept to yourself.

1 Like

Personally, I would go for the crystal everytime. I want the audio, the larger FOV, the option for standalone/wiress, the (actually enabled) local dimming, the QD layer etc etc.

Price does play a huge difference but it’s not everything. You also were the one that bought up the “5x” value idea that was the basis of this discussion. Not really sure what your point is.

All anyone has said is that value isn’t linear, high end stuff always provides much less bang for buck. You don’t seem to be arguing against that though, maybe you just like to debate in general so it doesn’t really matter what is said or meant?

1 Like

Your first one id easy to answer the price is astronomical compared to the Crystal. Which now your 2nd comment just shows how good the Crystal is shaping up compared to it’s visual clarity competitor at a fraction of the price with more features and much closer affordability as a result.

Still big shoes to fulfill with the other features still being worked on. But definitely a nice start.

1 Like

And then there is the subscription unless you pay an even more astronomical price for the Varjo VR-3.

1 Like

Also VR-3’s 2880 panels are LCD, same ones as the Aero. The uOLED panels (not OLED, different display tech) are for the center 70 PPD portions but these are only enabled on custom enterprise software, so useless for a consumer.

2 Likes