Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

That’s interesting, I had one last month and used it as my main headset for a bit and can’t say I noticed any distortion or such. Never tested it in TestHMD or such. At the very least, the rendered FOV matches the advertised, which is good enough for me.

3 Likes

Distorted isn’t quite right either, the lens doesn’t enlarge it properly. So, the proportions are right, but smaller. (so the default position of the eye is not quite right)

But these are all things that we will never find out without a built-in protractor in the eye anyway. :joy:

I would consider a launch to be a final spec, final price and a release date. Pimax has has more than one of those but the VR1 has not so far.

1 Like

I don’t think I’d ever pay around that price for VR. I’d go around the £1200 mark tops. Not that don’t have the money as I bought a £5k 4k Video Projector last year. I just don’t see the value in VR when Pico4 does a great job as a bargain price while I wait for a higher end HMD to replace my Index.

2 Likes

So $1200usd + taxes. As currently £1200= $1453.10 USD.

Still a very high price once you add LHes + Controllers will put it up to over $2

1 Like

Personally I think about 800 sterling is the sweet spot for decent PCVR. As in that would be my ideal price for a head that had most of everything decently but didn’t need to be absolutely the best of the best. Unfortunately it seems like we’re only getting the 2 extremes of either 1500+ or sub 500. No real middle options.

2 Likes

1000-2500 is the middle option :wink:

1 Like

Seb is at Pimax HQ going wireless.

5 Likes

Index in £919 including taxes LH and controllers. I don’t think Index 2 will be much more than that.

I wouldn’t count on that. Plus not likely to see a new Valve hmd til late 2024 to mote likely late 2025.

2 Likes

I agree with Atmos, just because of the aggressive steam deck pricing subsidized by the store. I think Valve will try to keep the 1k price barrier in tact. Who knows though, they might even have different skus if the rumoured onboard SoC is a thing.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Quite possible. But in truth with so many VR HMDs out or coming out. Valve doesn’t really need to release a headset. Valve in all honesty imho released the Index due to LG bailing on them with Ultragear and there failed vr hmd dev kits not taking off.

With the Deck selling like hot cakes they don’t need to worry much on income. Every vr d that is not locked to a standalone xp makes Valve money.

Now I do see the Steamdeck 2 whenever that comes will likely have the ability to be used minimally as a brainbox for vr hmd or will offer detactable controllers like Portal for a vr insert idea.

Though am leaning on the brainbox idea with more likely a glasses idea luke the LG 360VR? thay released and faded quietly on the LG G5 Phone.

1 Like

Stoked to see @mixedrealityTV this enthused by the visual quality!

But really worried what he means claiming the HMD is still early in development :thinking:

2 Likes

I think Index 2 is just coming for themselves and not really for profit reasons, Valve have that kinda money to just fund what they want. Could be totally wrong though and just wishful thinking haha

2 Likes

“Gamechanger” Marketing video #99999. i’m so tired.

1 Like

Its not marketing , its true

aero clarity without distortions or CA and better colors could be game changer,if it works

“pre-order now” is his only message.

2 Likes

I really like Seb - but I would be featuring a collection of 90% of all VR headsets ever released if I had based my purchasing decisions on enthusiastic videos from him…

And it‘s not the final production version yet, so we can‘t tell if this is really featuring mass produced lenses, etc. etc. Once the headset is commercially available and people review those units, it makes sense to make your decision. I have seen weird things happen before with early versions with the 8K: when I tried the prototype at VR Days the E2E clarity was great, and when the final production versions appeared it wasn’t that great anymore, so I will be patient and careful.

5 Likes