Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I have the stuff here at home to make my own lol

1 Like

Gasket sure but what about a new frame if ipd is not the same? ie your ipd is not a common one.

2 Likes

@Atmos @dogbite

I think a Crystal Lite model might be an idea perhaps using something like MegathanX(?) like the XR1 chip just for Tobii Foveate Transport and the Wifi/wigig and of course Researched DSP for the DMAS to match Index Audio level.

They might be able to also create a smaller Formfactor and keep module options limited ie No face plates like mainline of Reality.

That could maybe get it closer to 8kX retail without controllers & Lighthouses.

2 Likes

dan had linked a great video, with a person who really also has an idea and sense. the most important question when I design a product: for whom, who is my target group? Pimax is fighting on all fronts at the same time and will not win with it. some are already laughing about the fact that this device has fallen out of time. this device is intended for naive people who are able to hide everything disturbing, who in reality already have a problem, and spend too much money on the unimportant things.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if, whenever somebody does a teardown, the factory IPD setting of Bigscreen headsets were to turn out to be done using a lead screw carrying each optical assembly, just like with many other headsets; Them just just not being accessible from outside the HMD, requiring a screw driver to adjust, and being locked and sealed with a drop of lacquer. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The Crystal while really nice in many ways. Imho is to give more time to refine/develop the 12k; but like you said in a lot of ways the target group is the ones that “spend too much money on unimportant things”.

Which is true imho on any hmd without a full package less than $1800USD(Taxes included for @Atmos :wink:). But we all usually have some kind of vices like this. It becomes more of an issue with folks whom over extend themselves just to be part of the conversation.

If you can indeed afford and want fancy toys as they say go nuts. Though might be an idea to hide the receipts from one’s significant other whom mught not approve. lol

The simplest truth if a Quest or Sony PSVR2 works well enough for fidelity and xp; why would you go big needlessly?

3 Likes

i would be a beyond buyer. there are probably 15sku with different widths. it would be smart of bigscreen to be the return buyer himself. Clean the equipment, repair the necessary equipment, upgrade in the future and sell the equipment several times. to the same customers. you just have to do something really well once.

1 Like

i wanna know if it chargers for eg after you play 3 hours,you take a 2 hour break and its charged back up,if that happens then i can live with it cause wont be much difference than what i do rn with the 8kx.

but 2 batteries should be a must in the package in case you wanna play more and hot swap,and a outlet charger too.

1 Like

this was from the beginning confirmed.

1 Like

Watching Bigscreen. Assuming I can find someone with an IPhone to scan my face. Tis of interest but It’s early in the year so lots to glean yet.

1 Like

The external Charger? I know the battery was in part though there was some confusion claiming it was not said. Though @Butters007 iirc did then post the time stamped video from @mixedrealityTV where it was stated 2 batteries.

So as often details have changed it is best to have it reconfirmed to be sure the info is still accurate that 2 batteries and possibly a charger is included or what specs the charging requires if one is required to buy one to use a usb-c to charge battery when not in the hmd.

Also how long on slow charge vs using the rapid charge which is hard on battery longevity.

Thomas has shown the charger in the unbox vid.
I mean, it would probably be too silly to send none. :joy:

2 Likes

Okay cool. But keep in mind with today most things charging via usb-c no real need to include one. ie Index & Sword controllers don’t come with a charger. An environmentally friendly cell phone company Terracube also doesn’t include a charger either.

Plus we know pimax does prefer to avoid needing to supply regional wall power adapters due to how easy it is to mix them up or be out of stock.

2 Likes

hope so cause in MRTV interview one of them said just 1 battery.

Yes, he misunderstood the question.

1 Like

BlockquoteThough @Butters007 iirc did then post the time stamped video from @mixedrealityTV where it was stated 2 batteries.

It was mentioned in the video by PIMAX that it was only ONE battery.
While previous iterations of what was announced on PIMAX’s website stated TWO.
Thus the confusion from the video of having PIMAX Reps say ONE, when it was still TWO, and it took a completely different PIMAX person to come in and re-verify it.

1 Like

huh…? Not sure how you think this could have been misunderstood.

1 Like

Well his spoken/listening English is about as good as mine. :joy:

1 Like

It starts at 10 instead of at 0 lol. It was fixed long ago, but Voodoo uses the same version for consistency with his results (but really he could just -10 from the vertical of them all and give actually accurate numbers, kinda odd tbh).

2 Likes

There is any news about the units for the western testers? Or you’re already under NDA? :grin:

1 Like