Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

If that’s the case and what I tried were the wide fov lenses… that’s not to be called wide anymore.
The image quality was on par with the Aero though, so that would mean the small fov lenses would be even better.

But I still think only the small fov lenses were present in Gouda.

It’s a shame no one went into the ROV Test room and checked the FoV.

3 Likes

what do you expect at 105-112 horizontally. (depending on the face)
The 140 is diagonal and since the Crystall has a lot of vertical content, that’s where the numbers are eaten.

The 42ppd picture will be much smaller. Ok for Movies und Science.

2 Likes

People who tried it said the FOV was bigger then the varjo aero…

3 Likes

A bit bigger yes, especially vertically. But because it was a lot smaller than my 8KX I didn’t really bothered to judge it further

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m fairly certain that I read they were only demoing the 35ppd lens because the distortion profile for the 42ppd one isn’t done yet. If what you saw felt slighter bigger than the Aero then that sounds about right for the 35ppd lens. The 42 lens will have a smaller FOV

how about compared to 8kx small fov setting?is it noticeably smaller than that?

2 Likes

p
Potato+ FOV

The 140 diagonal lenses would be similar to the Artisan which us around 125? wide iirc.

Which is between small and normal

1 Like

There’s a very good reason. The duty or illumination cycle of the display panels themselves! More HZ is not better in many cases. For example, if you want to run MSFS at 60 or 75hz, you’ll find that that’s MUCH easier to achieve then 90FPS. In fact, I cannot achieve 90 fps. Thus frames are dropped and it’s a stuttery mess at 90hz. 75Hz is achievable on the other hand and then it is as smooth as butter. 60hz would be even easier and possibly better in my opinion, but it causes flickering on the KDMAS I have - the reason goes back to the duty/illumination cycle of the display. It’s a rather nuanced aspect of HMDs that get’s little attention. Until they release an HMD with freesync or Gsync, we’re needing to do the vsync ourselves…

1 Like

But it may relate to the displays themselves. It may “work” but result in flickering. Sadly I cannot purchase another HMD without being sure it covers a range from 60-120 (where you can use either 60 or 120, as you can frame double sixty on 120hz display. The 8KX I have luckily works with 75 and 90 hz. But I have to shoot for 37.5FPS and 45FPS with motion smoothing, or 75 and 90 hz without. Regrettably that leaves a crap-gap around 60hz where effectively I have to crush my 60FPS games down to 45 FPS with motion smoothing to get smooth frame pacing.

I bought a 8KX DMAS to try the 120hz, which worked for a bit but then bricked itself and I had to return it within the window.

They have to either get 60hz, 75hz and 90hz working, or perhaps 75, 90, and 120hz working. Or if we’re really lucky 150hz, which could serve well for 50hz, 75hz as well.

This is the minimum bar I would accept before purchasing any HMD in the future.

5 Likes

Yes you want consistent frames even if they are fewer, then more frames that are inconsistent. 60 Hz, 72 Hz 75 Hz, 80 Hz 90 Hz all of these have been demonstrated to be good refresh rates for VR on various devices.

I absolutely think the pimax Crystal should support 60 Hz and 75hz especially for games like new retro arcade, neon the emulation front end. So much content that was mastered for 60 Hz on a CRT can look good on a high-end back light strobe LCD, because all the pixels have time to complete their transitions, and you get the fluid motion that the content is designed for.

That is, of course, if the LCD can handle variable overdrive, and has minimal overshooting undershoot at lower refresh rate

1 Like

Just read on discord that Pimax fixed the focal distance issue by removing the 2mm magnets that were on the lens. This is just a temporary fix for the roadshow units. A user who had a big problem with it before reported that the issue is completely gone with this temporary fix. They will be implementing a permanent fix for it. Glad to see that it was something easily resolved. With that out of the way the Crystal sounds like it will be an awesome headset…except for the more limited FOV :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds good. As soon as Pimax has production units I’ll update the chart.

1 Like

People also love the updated lenses we have at the usa roadshow and yes every person said they could not detect optical flaws in the image. We did instant A/B’s with a Varjo Aero for a lot of people. The Crystal aced the direct comparisons for every person who tried it and not one person who tried it preferred the Aero.

9 Likes

So was the problem the lenses or the distance between the lens and panel?

2 Likes

I do not know. These are the calibrated version and also have the space change. From my own testing I think they are optically better than the previous ones. On the Aero in A/B tests same software I could see some chromatic aberrations in both units and now you cannot see that on the Crystal. It’s like looking at a poster or magazine or something.

7 Likes

I hope calibration can be done on every production unit or is it a one calibration fits all fix?

Do you have any information on the calibration process? Ie is it the spacer that’s calibrated or the glass itself? Genuinely curious.

4 Likes

Hello

I’ll go to the Paris/Roadshow.
Will we also have modified lenses??

Thanks to #Team Pimax for resolving this lens issue so quickly.

Aplushhss/Laurent :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

Back in the EU @SmallBaguette has added this pic which show by spacing the lens further seems to fix the problem.

4 Likes