Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

There really doesn’t need to be. These are projections given to share what the plan is.

As for weather I could say it is going to be 50% colder tomorrow than it was today and you’d have a value. So -2 becomes -3 or more accurately it will be 1 degree colder tomorrow than it is today.

Now if we use past data we could estimate what 100% might be based on past data that was shared on previous products. However things have changed. New lines added. Are the newer lines dedicated or do they do change overs to other products?

The main purpose is simply to give an idea of when they feel they will be producing in stable volumes.

To which demand will be ideally matched/met or they might find demand higher or lower than expected.

If In 6 months we ask Pimax if they reached 100% they will undoubtedly say yes because we have no idea what scale 100% is. So it becomes a worthless chart. Predicting what 100% is six months before hand is pointless unless you calculate manpower v time v unit’s produced.

If in six months Pimax says we have now reached 100% production capacity and now make 1000 units a month with 300 people then there is value in that data.

1 Like

BTW I’m going to be 100% richer in 6 months.

Of course a new line a 100% output might not be what was projected it could have been found to be less or more.

You can’t even use manpower v tine v unit’s produced as there maybe new factors that affect output. For example an Automotive line might have employees install fasteners initially manually which can take much longer than using say a pneumatic torque gun. Later on they might upgrade to the pneumatic which changes flow.

So to have a complete picture you need to know current capability with existing produced products and the new differences say with the Crystal. During the early production usually companies will try to have more quality checks until the process is deemed stable to adjust less frequent sampling.

Now add in that there are new things to test and check for. Add in training workers on making a new product and the time needed to learn a new work flow pattern & new or changed procedures.

As I said you can get a very rough idea based on old previous data. But only an idea. Without direct involvement or in depth sharing on things one can only have an idea.

Keep in mind there will be checkpoints/goals for output during the ramp up. If the goal is met at that checkpoint they have on that given day 100% production and if doing really well may have over 100%.

Once the final checkpoint is reached they may have hit/exceeded the early goal for that time. Or may have had to adjust to a lower number for what is established as new current max output. It is a learning process.

I think it was just meant to convey a general idea of how they will be ramping up over the course of next year. I wouldn’t read too much into it, I also wouldn’t expect any real specific details or numbers as no company ever provides that. The rest of the post was great imo, so maybe in this one instance we should focus on the positive to re-inforce that type of communication rather than latching onto the negative.

Of course the key is to see how well the post ages and if crystal units are indeed sent out a few days after CES but I think that might be the most specific date we have gotten so far so I am feeling like 70-80% confident that some units will go out then (to actual normal consumers).

1 Like

I’ll be amazed if any units go out straight after CES 2023. Is the powered cable fixed for one?

Yeah, I forget who said it a few days ago but apparently it is. Although it was never “broken”, it was just that for the roadshow they were using the old cables (for the 8K X etc) which didn’t deliver enough power, so the new cables don’t have that issue and are the actual cables for the crystal. Not sure why they wouldn’t have any cables ready to go, and also the impression before (directly from Pimax on discord) was that old cables work just fine with crystal and they are actually the same cable.

So, not sure what to believe tbh haha. I do recall someone saying the issue is resolved now, not sure if anyone at roadshows or such recently could confirm.

3 Likes

Lol basically what I think every time pimax communicate. Wait and see, do not preorder, and continue using your money wisely.

3 Likes

I should mention how above it was stated that the poster liked pimax while criticising them, as if any criticism given could get the label of a disruptor troll toxic individual. That’s what’s wrong with the world today, it’s going down the path of as if you should not have an opinion unless it’s glowing.

When the crystal is done I will consider buying it, but I will actually wait too until the 12k is available to judge both on value/usability. I will certainly need a gfx card update for the latter meaning it may be out of reach. If I need a new motherboard too - Too much cost to use ratio.

Is there anything actually wrong with expecting what is offered? on time? After you have invested?
This question and my answer to it is is why I complain. And still hope that Pimax do well and I get another sometime soon- only when it’s finished and provable though.

4 Likes

we’ll have more video update from product team in these days. I’ll post it in this thread when the video is ready

9 Likes

Maybe have them do a video explaining the chart. :grinning:

Just a quick one.

It seems the Crystal will ship with the 8kX cable.

This cable will come with a hub that will connect direct to the mains power for a more reliable power delivery.

Wait, what?

What is the source on that and why are they planning yet another botch job?

My source is direct from Pimax.

It’s possible this might be the breakout box folks wanted with the ks hmds like what vive has.

Fiber or classic cable?

Enough power for the beast?

Will be enough for 3090ti, 4090 or even 3080ti?

The classic 4.5m 8kx cable is what comes with Crystal. The 6.0m Fibre will work but won’t deliver enough power for stability.

I don’t have either so we’ll have to wait for user experiences next year for real world results.

1 Like

So classic ( and short) cable seems better than new technologic cable.
Isn’t it?

power supply is normal in VR headset. I’ve G2 and use it. If is powered as it needs, seem no problemo…well, i guess

Hey, now i enter to pimax website and see a bunch of sales for Crystal preorders. I just received a coupon for headset itself when will shipped, when i made my preorder two days after announce.

Are preview preorders gifted with all those sales?

1 Like

I’m not sure if people realise so i’ll point it out here.

You only get the DMAS with a reservation. When the reservation period ends you then only get the new Spacial Audio Module.

1 Like