Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Lol, it’s makes no odds to me one way or the other. My bias has nothing to do with Pimaxes announced specs or what people reported at the roadshows.

If Pimax say Crystal is finished as their chart suggests then bang them out asap.

But if you take my list and see the cable listed and then look at Pimaxes list and see it missing is that down to my bias or my interpretation?

My chart is to reflect reality. I’ve asked questions in PM and told no I can’t see that or no that is not ready.

If Crystal has Wifi6e working, lenses with no eye strain, a cable with power and tracking that works as good as Pico4 then Pimax will be onto a winner and no one need worry.

So in 3 weeks we get to see who’s chart was closest.

2 Likes

I meant changing the plastic mould for the part holding the lenses is easier and trivial in comparison to the headset housing itself, but I guess it might not be much different.

1 Like

i’m a bit concerned the official list doesn’t mention the controllers whatsoever afaik. i won’t buy it without bundled ok controllers, i don’t really like knuckles.

1 Like

So if this list is supposed to have any objective value for a customer contemplating to (pre-)order a Crystal, it can only be based on hard facts, confirmed by un-biased users and not only based on Pimax marketing talk: is it there yet, or is it just being claimed by Pimax to be there and that may or may not be true.

I deliberately ignore the part where you suggest that we as customers need to anticipate which of the features Pimax announced are dropped silently by them while they continue to market their product based on the information & specs announced and subsequently detailed. This simply doesn‘t connect with my understanding of the general commercial rules of engagement between vendors and customers, and I wouldn‘t even know where to start to explain how awfully wrong such an approach would be. That would be right up there with alternative facts bs.

…and if Pimax does end up making the excellent move of offering something that lets the user adjust diopters, AND doing this adjustment causes changes to the view, which need to be accounted for with corresponding adjustments to the barrel distortion profile, and/or camera frustums, it would be really nice if one could match these diopter/software settings independently per eye, for those users with different prescriptions for the left and right eye.

1 Like

I honestly feel that without myself and some others pushing PIMAX, it would have been unlikely we would have gotten any update quicker about the AMD GPU compatibility in some ‘official’ sense from PIMAX.

I and others have been asking for over a month for them to throw us any kind of bone about it in an ‘official’ sense and finally just a couple of days ago, over a month after they started taking pre-orders for the device, did we get anything really official about it.

I feel that how PIMAX communicates to the public really needs improvement.
Still now, why are we getting some crappy robotic voice-over in their small update videos.

Surely in some hotel room, Josh (who’s become sort of the spokesman/public facing figure of PIMAX), could have just taken a few minutes to record his voice for the video. :stuck_out_tongue:

Please don’t misinterpret my criticism as any kind of hatred or combative agenda against PIMAX. Honestly in all respects, I am routing for them and have high hopes their PIMAX Crystal product is a success. I would like to buy one, most certainly.

However, again, the way they go about their communication to the public, in my opinion, can be at times more harmful than good, and it doesn’t help them.

2 Likes

I’ve made an AMD Compatibility List and attached it to the OP. Input welcome.

2 Likes

what do you want with the RX570? :rofl::joy: It’s weaker than a Gtx1060.

1 Like

Dunno, Pimax tested it.

2 Likes

I’ve jiggeled the chart by generation.

1 Like

For the untested cards with the more or less identical chip, I would go with Amber. The architecture is similar enough that there should be no/few problems.

1 Like

Surely then you just list 7000, 6000, 5000 series instead of going card by card?

1 Like

They probably only list the cards they have themselves.

AMD’s core chip strategy will probably be the same as Team Green. If a 1070 works then a 1080 and 1080ti will also work as it is the same chip just unlocked differently.

However, in the 6000 generation there were 2 different chips if I remember correctly.

1 Like

@PimaxUSA
Yeah, having an AMD 6900XT GPU at the moment, I’m keen to know what I’ll get and not get, especially if there are two chips that may cause some issue somewhere.

1 Like

I’m not sure why Pimax would release this chart.

It tells you absolutely nothing without knowing what 100% is.

Is 100% 10, 100, 1000 units?

Production capacity is not fixed so you could have 100 people producing 100 units at 100%

3 months later you employ an extra 100 people making 200 units but still be at 100%

Using percentage for anything is pretty useless, unless you are internal and have the figures attached making such a chart relevant.

Well it does tell us that they have started to ramp up production now vs in Sept/Oct/Nov as originally was the plan.

It also with the projection that matches the update that Crystal will not be shipping this year.

That being said it should show a slump in 02 at least to accomodate the shutdown for CNY and Spring Festival as China pretty much shuts down almost completely during these windows.

So in my opinion the graph maybe has some misses.

Production lines often don’t grow much. However a company may start new production lines to meet demand. Iirc I think pimax haa said in the past they have 4 production lines? @PimaxQuorra ?

What company takes more than 6 months to get to 100% production?

Even when you break it down further do Pimax mean Crystal production will be at 100% because where does Portal factor into this? With 300 employees how does that split between the two?

It’s like a weather man saying it will be hot this summer. With a chart saying in July it will be 100% hot.

You’d be surprised. Though it also varies depending on what your manufacturing.

As pimax will likely still be making p2 hmds and other accessories they sell. Lines may have change overs. Since they have taken reservations on the Crystal they have an idea on initial and potential demand.

I would imagine there are plans in place to expand/increase production capabilities.

This is a poor comparison as 100% production to compare with a season temp would use an estimate heat measurement (°C or °F) and not a %.

My point is there’s no context what 100% means.

Metas 100% could mean 1 million units.
Pimaxes 100% could mean 100 units.

1 Like

…and tomorrow Pimax could add assembly line staff, and suddenly their 100% is another 20 units daily…

2 Likes