Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I have an original early release 8kX with DMAS.

The KDMAS looks very close. and Pimax had started to include the foam with both.

Give me a moment amd will get a pic of both on how to identify.

1 Like

DMAS Notice the Grill pattern

KDMAS ignore cup installed.

yes i have the kdmas wassup with them?

1 Like

Okay so you have a later 8kX with KDMAS.

Is yours the Revised KDMAS with only 1 3.5mm jack? or did it cine with a Y cable to join 2 3.5mm jacks into one?

Original KDMAS had 2 3.5mm jacks so you could upgrade to SMAS or DMAS if you for example upgraded to any pimax hmd using usb power before discovery that some older 8kX models had a sound defect.

it has some jacks idk

2? If so then that is an original MAS. Not the modified one they released afterwards that only has a single 3.5mm jack in the left.

Here is the guide @Timo.H1 made to upgrade the Kdmas to a DMAS.

thats cool but i aint doing all that lol

1 Like

I was fortunate that my 8kX did not have the 1.2k noise with the DMAS. Timo like sime others was not as fortunate. But after a bit of a fiasco they exchanged his for the Revised 8kX which the revised one was not identified as a new model for 2 or 3 months later.

We were waiting for example fw 2001 to officially release and had inquired about this new firmware on his replacement.

This caused a lot of problems as you likely know the revised model is only compatible with desktop RTX Nvidia cards.

So ppl expecting GTX, AMD and laptop compatibility were naturally upset trying to get there 8kX working.

1 Like

what youre saying?pimax allways did stuff like that?but in mrtv ceo vid they said its the new changed pimax :rofl:

Can understand that. It is something that can be a bit involved. But as you can see the Off ear Index speakers themselves are not really special. It is how they are dsp’d.

Pimax thought it was going to be simple.

1. They later learned the 5k+ & og 8k could not use the speakers in general DMAS or SMAS(Amp not good enough to drive them).
  • That was a good thing for backers as they had up until then had decided to go from on Ear Speakers to saying we would receive SMAS :picardfp:
  • This forced them to make the KDMAS.
  1. So they installed a capable Amp but no DSP. So was not on par to Index as advertised.
  2. Revised 8kX did some weird things to the sound choose 7.1 downmix to stereo? Not really an improvement depending on whom you talked to.

Crystal they finally found a good recipe and the DMAS now on par or better than Index. According to testers. However there working on it as some testers have xp some kind of latency issue. But not everyone.

so the crystal ones arent the SMAS ones you could buy before?

New but maybe not so new. They have at times made positive changes to often falling back. I will say some of the newer faces are trying to get things fixed up… But it is indeed going to be slow.

The other older public facing reps you know are also been trying to affect positive changes.

Pimax often had gotten in the way pf there own success. It is the main thing all supporters even us crabby ppl on both sides have been pressuring pimax to do better.

Like something as simple as quality release notes.

1 Like

There not visually the same. but from what some testers seem they might be at least similar as in shouldn’t be included with a quality product. But have not reported testing after the audio fw improvements.

And if you look at Varjo and Xtal your left to supply your own audio.

@carnathsmecher it is refreshing to see @Djonko not as confident with his Xtal 3 as at one time he implied anyone whom tried it and didn’t like it was due to they couldn’t afford it like he could.(This made him look horrible)

More recently with another person inquiring about getting an Xtal he has expressed while it is his daily driver(Should be at $11k lol). That he had noticed some issues in the lenses and that he has been told he can ship it back at gis expense to have it looked at.

He said on his next trip to the EU he might have it looked at during that time.

Pimax prior the KS in 2016 and 2017 in terms of tech support was very forward thinking with Remote support and had often spent hours with some users trying to resolve at things that was actually an issue on a game’s end. This was not something then that Oculus or HTC did.

When a user reached out to Steam about an unrelated issue with controllers. Steam support simply said "Wow we didn’t know a headset like that was out there. We can’t help you.

The issue was a Gamepad like Xbox nothing to do with a vr headset.

Sj/Djonko was always a bit abrasive at times but like pimax was much better. The KS seemed to have had some negatives. Too much growth to quickly and has not recovered to there roots.

2 Likes

Ouch someone got butthurt today :hugs:

2 Likes

I don’t think you should feel that way. Kind of proud to see you admit that you were maybe rash when you attacked @SmallBaguette when he was critical about the Xtal. :v::wink::+1:

You rarely admit fault.

I feel pretty good, thanks for asking. I still think he was pretty harsh in his view of the XTAL, it’s a great headset, yet way overpriced. But taking it over the 8kX, even when offered at the same price level, I’m sure not many would do that. They’re really different leagues.

Anyway, not even sure why you needed to drag all this XTAL stuff into this Crystal discussion.

1 Like

Yes subjective experience are often harsh to others whom dislike others xp with an item. No one should make presumptions though it is because one cannot afford one.

It seems there is a lot of folks whom think similar about the Xtal. I myself have not tried it so cannot comment on it.

It fits as 3 testers have mentioned issues with Xtal Optics. Check discord. :wink:

I even mentioned it earlier in regards to it seems the Crystal Plastic lenses seem they might be better than Xtal; but to ne fair Crystal lenses are not as complex as they are not WFoV and even Ben has commented in the past on Xtal lenses.

Why not? It’s what happens a lot, people tend to dislike things they can’t even afford. Not everybody of course but it happens a lot. Not even something to be ashamed of if you ask me, just human nature.

See the slack Ferrari got with their Ferrari Purosangue. People just love to hate on it "It’s just a mazda mx30!!! " LOL