Pimax crystal review

Pimax comment about the battery pcvr situation :

“The batteries are not required in PCVR mode. As we have stated in official press releases, interviews, and hundreds of live demonstrations, that cable is not the final cable. The custom made cables for PCVR aren’t ready yet. The one used in this review is the old 8kx cable.”

Who said that and when? If it was Joshua under VoodooDE’s video then he backtracked on that as he had information that was older than Voodoo. Robin himself has confirmed that the battery is needed, it also seems like the cable thing isn’t really part of the issue anymore.

It was a comment under the VoodooDE video according to someone on the msfs forum and a reddit thread, not sure if it was Joshua or “Pimax”.

Well, that person was correct 2 months ago but not anymore. The battery 100% is required for PCVR, and it 100% will drain over time.

ah ok point taken. that’s not ideal, but for me i wouldn’t consider it a deal breaker as each battery lasts?..i’ve seen 2.5 to 4 hours quoted, and they’re hot swappable so u have 5 to 8 hours continuous playtime in 1 session. that’s far more than i’d ever need, i appreciate it might be an issue for some though but i don’t think many play up to 8 hours in 1 go?

Right now they last 2-2.5 hours but Pimax’s goal is 6 hours. So I think 4 hours is reasonable to expect come to fruition, personally I am fine with 4 hours.

And yeah, I don’t play more than 8 hours myself. I guess the second battery would be charging also while it’s out, so I suppose at 4 hours per charge and worst case scenario that the battery only charges to 50% at 4 hours then you’re looking at:

4 hour session
4 hour session (other battery charging to 50%)
2 hour session (other battery charging to 25%)
1 hour session lol.

Anyway, that’s over 10 hours. And surely people will take a break or something. So yeah, I really don’t think it’s a big deal. It’s a bit of potential added friction but might be very minor to nothing. If the battery charges in the headset when not in use, then for me personally I will probably never be swapping it (until the battery degrades down the line in a couple of years). My VR sessions are almost never over 3 hours, so I’m fine. My only desire is that it charges when not in use so I never have that situation of wanting to jump into VR but my headset is dead.

Also, hardcore users can just get a 3rd battery with another charging dock and they are going to never run out really. Of course that’s a bit ridiculous for a PCVR setup but when you’re at the enthusiast cutting edge there tends to be weird things to deal with.

If the unit needs the battery even WITH the link(power) from the PC.
I start to get concerned about just how well/long the unit can be powered in stand-alone.
It sounds like it DEFINITELY needs two batteries and the swappable system it has.
Thank god no one from PIMAX ever said we’d only get ONE BATTERY.

3 Likes

Wonder how long a battery lasts when you start plugging things into all those ports.

1 Like

Hm. I thought Robin said this was a temporary ‘fix’? Sebastian said Pimax was sending him more info today.
6 hours would be fine tho. How many people will wear the HMD for two batteries worth of time in one session? (12 hours?) Still not ideal.
It’s another wait and see situation. Not something to get stirred up about right now- for me anyway.

No, they never said it was a temporary fix afaik. All the said about “later today” (which already got delayed btw, so just indefinite now) was that they would show off the power adapter. Which is just a, perhaps pimax branded, normal phone fast charger. There’s no way that Pimax have made their own quick charge protocol, so it will just be a normal adapter. And for that it still has the battery drain, just a lot slower (apparently).

@SmallBaguette Hm. Discord
Sebastian says it’s a temporary fix here. No mention of whether a permanent fix that will not deplete the battery though. Still, ‘temporary’ to me implies that a better solution will be upcoming. As I said tho’, if they can get the batteries to last 6 hours while playing tethered, for most of us, most of the time, that will be fine.

1 Like

How good will those batteries be after a couple years of use… needing batteries for wired PC VR is kinda of a definite no buy for me.

However i still think they will fix this. Information on this is all over the place and a bit confusing at the moment.

Can someone from Pimax please put this discussion to bed and fill us in?

Longer Runtime - only in German
Note - is still the old 8kx cable! So still progress in work :wink:

My concern here is the Spec of what power delivery is appropriate for the battery.
Depending on how many amps you’re pushing through, you could damage or reduce the effectiveness of the battery over time.
There may be a risk here due to that. People just using any such thing with an extra cable for power etc.

2 Likes

It’s not even the final cable. The video only shows that the battery life can ultimately be improved by Pimax.

Always keep in mind, this HMD is one of the first demo models from last year.

Let’s see how this pans out when the device eventually becomes available via Amazon.

There are so many details that still need optimization that I will definitely not be purchasing before the end of the year.

The lenses and panels appear to be absolutely top of the line; if Pimax manage to get the rest of the device to a similar level, this might be a good choice.

As it stands I just renewed my annual license for the VR-3 and I will continue to be on the lookout for a worthy successor.

1 Like

why did you renew the license since you cant use that bionic display ? :thinking:

Sebastian will be in Shanghai soon and will get his hands on the current version.
I’m looking forward to the actual development.

As I already wrote in the discord forum :

Simply get rid of the stand alone mode .
Getting rid of the stand alone mode will make the device 200$+ cheaper , will require less cooling + will make it lighter and you won’t have the battery discharge issue + will safe time and money on development of the stand alone store

Getting rid of the lcd displays will fix the local dimming issues because you can build in Mikro oled Display . The pimax team won’t need to spend their time to develop a local dimming algorithm .
They will be able to focus on good sound that might even surpass the index sound by developing a build in DSP