Pimax Crystal Launch Event tonight!

I’m wondering what module and mode (standalone, PC) combinations will work.
For example will inside-out tracking (4 cameras) with mixed reality video passthrouggh (2 cameras) and eye-tracking (2 cameras). I don’t think that this setup would work in standalone mode as the XR2 chip can only handle 7 camera feeds.

2 Likes

Hi!

Will the Crystal be a part of the trade-in program for the 12K ?

There would be no need to search for mod/hacks as it can be natively supported as pimax is not WMR or Oculus that do not say intend to have native support for tracking outside of there closed eco systems.

1 Like

Whattt? You want to trade in what you just received?lol

Well those features might be added later on, just like we could play with SteamVR lighthouse tracking and WMR headsets. May be fully possible without the accessory plate, but may not be officially supported since thats basically a “hack”.

Yeah but as you are saying, that could be the only option if you want both pass-through AR face plate and SteamVR tracking simultaneously. Since both features (for now at least) needs a separate front-plate.

1 Like

Martin, when are you going to show the demos of both headsets?

1 Like

I have to say for 99.9% of people who have never experienced pimax wide fov this will probably be their end game headset if it delivers. have they said that the 12k and this crystal headset will use the built in eye tracking for foveated rendering?

The Crystal looks amazing, I think it’s probably my idea headset right now even over the 12K.

That said, the 12K would actually work out cheaper for me, thanks to the higher trade in value of the 5KS (I would never sell it for the trade in value) so now I’m conflicted haha. I think the interchangeable lens is absolutely genius and would suit me perfectly, I also like that it will be significantly easier to run than the 12K but the 12K actually would be basically cheaper for me to get, so not sure what to do lol. Pity we can’t do a trade in for the crystal also but I guess the margins are slimmer.

The fact that it’s launching in the next 4 months is crazy.

2 Likes

You are so right man, I am over the moon about this. Ppd of 42.is better than Aero. Vr desktop is going to rule.

,This news was especially good for me to hear as.I am presently laid up with Covid in bed. Thank you @PimaxUSA @SweViver @PimaxVR

2 Likes

For me the Varjo head strap is the most uncomfortable one of any headset I’ve worn, no matter how I adjust all those knobs. Having the direct plastic against my head sucks

Thats up to my bosses to decide :slight_smile: All I know is “soon”. Im sitting like Gollum in a cave testing samples but unfortunately Im not allowed to show anything yet.

5 Likes

Oh crap, hope you get well mate! I know how it feels. Got that thing after CES, its never fun.

2 Likes

Well yes and no. Yes, the default headset has a flaw. But simply buy the strap from studioform creative and then it’s just the most comfortable headset out there. Too bad they didnt ship it with such strap as default, it really needs it!

2 Likes

Agree. Yes foveated rendering will be a part of the Tobii eye tracking capabilities. But it will be far more useful on the 12K because of the wider FOV.

3 Likes

good because my 3080 already crys with the 8kx. gonna be going 4090 when that comes.

I know haha. My 3090 feels old already!

1 Like

4090 proly right on time for the crystal from the leaks,supposed to be announced in july too

Yep, Im just curious what the 4080/4090 price will be. Hopefully its not another record-breaking price tag.

1 Like

Except ir would not be a hack luke it is with WMR and Oculus. As pimax already uses a sort of “hack” with there own implementation ti use Lighthouses. For example SteamVR native you get battery level states, where as with Pimax no battery status.

Valve has even said pimax does not use Lighthouses fully as per there specs. And no I am not referring to BT control and updating as that is only on Valve sponsored Headsets. Ie Varjo, StarVR One, Xtal and Arpara as far as I am aware like pimax lack these BT options.

However these headsets do just use SteamVR tracking in SteamVR.

Where as pimax’s “hacked” LH implementation allows pimax to use LH tracking without/outside of steamvr for Oculus mode.

2 Likes

itll probably be 3k. lets be honest. hey I see there is adjustement for the screens to come closer on the crystal. will that functionality be on the 12k?