Pimax Crystal - Installed my DMAS from 8KX but Do NOT work on Crystal

I powered everything off and carefully re-screwed my DMAS ear speakers from my 8KX onto the Crystal headset. Went on no issue, tightened securely.

Reinstalled the Nvidia driver just to be sure. They are now identified in windows sound as Pimax sound default and functioning but only as Stereo speakers, no 5.1 and 7.1 option like I had on 8KX.

I removed them and then reseated them again, rebooted and same problem.

So are the DMAS from the 8KX different or not compatible ? There is no information anywhere about this and one assumes they should just work as the connector is exactly the same.

Any help appreciated.

Update - I have tried everything, uninstalling drivers etc. and reseating DMAS in Crystal headset. My 8KX DMAS definitely do NOT work on the Crystal correctly. I have them working in Stereo but they sound absolutely awful in some games like racing sims. The sound is extremely sharp and distorted with other noise artifacts apparently mixing in.

I can only assume the DMAS for Crystal are a new or updated version. Strange if no compatability and I wish Pimax would explain such situations with hardware oddities, perhaps nobody even tested this !?

Also, off topic, but anyone else find that the top rubber thin strap is too short ? My head is probably bit bigger than average but that strap is fully extended when Crystal is on my head … my worry is it may break and it powers the battery ! The strap under it is also much narrower, lighter and stretchy compared to 8KX topstrap which is very strong. A puzzling design choice which imho feels like a cheap cost saver that should not be on a premium priced VR Headset.

I have already experienced strange white fuzzy glitches on the screen, they went away but it is concerning that it may be degrading over time and eventually fail - I really hope not ! For these reasons I am still undecided on keeping the Crystal despite how great the display is.

1 Like

The Revised 8kX serial 2076 has an experimental thing they tried and was why you needed to do a weird setup

In Theory the DMAS Speakers should be the same as the 8kX ones. But they might have added a pin to identify which module?

@PimaxQuorra can look into it DMAS module in Crystal is the same as DMAS on Vision series.

1 Like

My 8KX is the revised model 2076 version. I actually was surprised that the speakers stock on my Crystal sound really good. They are only stereo but work perfectly with the Dolby Atmos sound app I have installed.

DMAS on 8KX has more boom and wider soundstage but the difference is not that much bigger.

Crystal SMAS is definitely better than 8KX smas, at least to my ears !

1 Like

What app is that, if I may ask?

1 Like

The Windows store app Dolby Atmos or also if you google I think there is a 1 week trial.

1 Like

@Pimax_Josh @PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA

Do I need to buy a different or newer DMAS that will be compatible with Crystal or should the 8KX version I own be working already ?

You should be able to use your existing set.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying. I have no idea why this Crystal headset is only outputting stereo and not the 7.1 signal I get when these DMAS are on my 8KX.

I spent couple days faffing around with it before just going back to the Crystal SMAS ear speakers.

The 5.1/7.1 was only from my awareness something they tried in the revised 8kX. To improve the sound. You only have 2 bmr speakers in total.

The Crystal from my understanding is not using that. They are closer/similar to what Valve did on Index and G2. Reports suggest if you do not have the audio lag issue is that they are on par to much better than Index.

Ok but I thought I read somewhere that in Windows sound there was the same 7.1 option on Crystal like 8KX.

The DMAS when I fitted to the Crystal did not sound good. There was distortion and loud scraping & popping noises like the speakers were being severely overdriven.

I suspect there must be something changed in the newer DMAS supplied with Crystal because these DMAS are fine on the 2076 version 8KX I have. Otherwise I still have no clue other than this Crystal has a fault.

The actual sound module is the same at least Speaker drivers and 2 wires. There might be as I mentioned similar the lenses might have an added identifier?

But Going by @PimaxUSA said it should be the same. It is also possible you may need the change a setting in pimax play

Remember with the 8kX you had no sound without the 7.1/5.1 windows setting. Even try setting volume lower maybe?

@SmallBaguette @Omniwhatever might have some ideas.

There are no relevant sound settings in Pimax play except for the Lag which I tried already.

Thanks for the advice, I have put the original SMAS back for now.

1 Like

Hopefully one of the Beta Testers may have some ideas.

Yes, the module is same.

1 Like

As you may have noticed @blanes is having issues using his dmas module from his 8kX

Can someone confirm this please ? I was told the DMAS ear speakers do not work correctly 100% unless the headset (8KX or Crystal) is running from an Nvidia GPU ? I am on an AMD Radeon 7800 XTX. Thanks.

@SmallBaguette @Omniwhatever @PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA

We conducted tests with the AMD cards, and personally, I also tried with Crystal. However, the speakers did work properly with those AMD cards.

What were the input and output settings displayed in the sound settings?

Should be something named “Pimax xxx”

1 Like

@PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA

I never got my 8KX DMAS speakers to function properly on my Crystal. They sounded distorted and crackly, yet when back on the 8KX they work 100% !!! So that was very odd and I never knew why.

I sold my 8KX DMAS and was happy with the Crystal SMAS where I ran the Dolby Atmos app and the surround sound is incredibly good.

However today I received a brand new set of Pimax Crystal DMAS speakers that I ordered before Christmas from a Pimax retailer here in Queensland Australia.

They do look different in that they now have DTS:X printed on each speaker and they work perfectly on my Crystal.

So my observation & question is, given the DTS:X branding, I expected they would have licensing for the DTS:X headphones surround sound app as other headphones similarly have for DTS and Dolby Atmos. But when I load the DTS app they are not recognised and I am asked to purchase the license.

Do Pimax have a licensing agreement with DTS and was I supposed to receive a redeem code to access the DTS app or am I missing something ?

Appreciate advice from Pimax, thanks.