Pimax Crystal - Installed my DMAS from 8KX but Do NOT work on Crystal

My early DMAS also has that gimmick logo.

Yeah my 8KX DMAS 2076 Version did not have the DTS X logo on them so it is puzzling because I own other headphones with Dolby Atmos logo and the headphone app was licensed for it.

However I purchased the DTS X headphone license yesterday. This app has custom profiles for a huge list of branded headphones but strangely, not Pimax DMAS. The DTS X branding is a registered trademark so you would think a profile would be there else why are Pimax using the trademark ? It sounds okay but a custom profile would get the best out of the dmas speakers.

Pimax does a lot of strange things. Like remaking the VP strap as the MAS.

Then the bizzare attempt to fix it up with odd audio processing requiring you to set audio to a 7.1 in the revised 8kX

Yeah they have some bizarre ways of doing things ! These new DMAS speakers are definitely different to the DMAS from my 8KX as they sound totally different. I know because I had already tried them on the Crystal. I do not understand why Pimax cannot get their facts straight ? I do not believe they deliberately misinform but just think that the communication within the company is very poor so they do not get the information correctly tested or formulated before they answer user questions.

I have my Crystal working really well now but it was not easy and I sought bits & pieces of info gleaned from multiple sources. My Crystal battery is now staying charged and I have 2 ways to achieve that, either charger directly connected to usb 2.0 cable (thin one) or leave that unplugged and connect the charger to the faceplate right side usb c port.

When you read far & wide about Crystal on reddit and other places, you cannot help but think Pimax would be selling far greater quantities of Crystal if they only could get simple things sorted properly. Anyway it is useless to talk about it too much. Cheers.

2 Likes

@PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra ~ Having now tested both I will say you appear to be wrong or mistaken, I do not know what was changed or upgraded internally (DAC ?) but they are different because the original DMAS worked perfectly on my 8KX and yet sounded very bad on the Crystal, and yes I had them firmly and correctly connected.

Physically this new set of DMAS has DTS X printed on each side (my 8KX 2076 version did not), yet that app is not included and upon purchasing it for $30 I found there is no unique profile for DMAS. The generic profile works yet how is Pimax allowed to use the trademark licensing when they do not include the DTS X app ? Other branded over ear headsets (I have a few) using such trademarked logos of both Dolby and DTS, include the licensed app as part of the purchase bundle. It is somewhat confusing as a customer and Pimax should be honest to their customers if they are going to include the actual DTS X trademark logo on the DMAS otherwise why not put the Dolby logo on as well ? At the very least it is misleading as it misinforms the customer. Surely you guys can see or is there another explanation ?

The Sound of Pimax caring about customer concerns and opinions ! … [crickets] zzz zzz zzz

My 8kX DMAS has the DTS on it. In later batches they removed it.

As the dmas modules are simply a bmr speaker with 2 wires. Only thing maybe is the og is not wired properly as to polarity?

Difficult to say but early beta testers iirc used there 8kX DMAS on the Crystal.

Hello Blanes,

Could you kindly share your email address with me through private message? I’ve escalated your case to our support team, and they would like to get in touch with you to resolve the issue.

In theory, the original DMAS should function exactly the same when installed on the Crystal. However, there may be an issue with yours.

Our support team is eager to speak with you to explore potential solutions. Alternatively, you are welcome to submit a support ticket at your convenience.

1 Like

I can fortunatelly say that my old DMAS headphones first version (i preordered hem with 8kx and i had to wait for them) are working with Crystal. Sound is even better and louder so i suppose they used better audio chip than in 8kx.
And pimax support has been very fast and helpful everytime i had a problem with 5k+, 8kx and now with Crystal (i needed some cables replacements and one DMAS was not working so they sent new one). Iam writing this to let people know that imo they dont have to be afraid of pimax support, they were less than ideal long ago but they are great for several year now.

3 Likes

Thanks but I no longer have my 8KX DMAS as I sold it along with the attached DMAS speakers after I purchased the Crystal headset. I recently purchased a set of the new DMAS speakers and they work well on my Crystal. They have DTS printed on them whereas earlier ones did not. My question was regarding why the DTS audio app was not included seeing that the licensed DTS logo is on the headset. Nobody can explain that it seems.

4 Likes