Pimax and Marketing Strategy 101

The best solution is Pimax should hire a marketing/pr professional, as it is clear their entire staff has no clue or are too busy to do it properly as they still haven’t been able to present themselves or communicate in a way you’d expect a company like this should.

1 Like

Or at least a volunteer(s) to go thru the marketing material before publishing it online.

4 Likes

It is crazy though, that they have received millions of $ in Kickstarter funds, and millions of $ in outside investments, and have invested millions $ into development and production of their 8K HMDs, but they don’t invest at all into marketing to the point where we are suggesting to volunteer for them?

If they can’t even pay a professional to proof read their stuff and resort to volunteers … I think that is just insanely bad prioritization, as good marketing is of course very important and they don’t need just proof readers … they need someone to plan and execute an actual marketing and messaging strategy.

Even right now they could be building tons of hype for the 8KX. Instead of just showing SweViver screenshots to us forum users they could be creating awesome reveal / promotional videos showing how much better the 8KX is and sending them to press websites, posting them on their own Youtube channel and build an ongoing hype cycle up to release.

6 Likes

Well, whether they have money or not, apparently they haven’t hired a marketing professional.
And if the management is not going to do so and the current crew is struggling I see no shame in asking help from the community.

2 Likes

To be honest. I dont think Pimax has anyone skilled in professional video editing. They should hire someone but at the end of the day I personally dont think its that big of a deal. For the 5K+ I’d definitely push harder but for Pimax Day 2 and the 8KX headsets. The 8KX is so out of the average consumers price range its not even funny.

I hardly know anyone with a spare 2 grand to drop just on a headset with controllers and base stations. Thats assuming they own a decent rig to run it.

2 Likes

Idk if stupid idea, but to make the Pimax brand more known to the basic consumer, maybe they should have an entry level plug&play headset with a bigger fov than mainstream competitors. Maybe a WMR headset.

2 Likes

I dont think we want Pimax making anymore SKUs for the time being.

They already have enough headset variants to confuse most people.

4 Likes

Agreed, too many (edit, similar) headsets.

4 Likes

Cut the fat, Improve the overall build quality is the proper way to establish Pimax’s unique position and what I’ve always advocated.

Pimax has good headsets it’s just so many things around it are either troublesome or frustrating.

1 Like

Right. The PC is another 2 grand at least. They should be marketing the 8KX to enthusiasts, especially simmers, who have plenty of cash for HOTAS, driving rigs, etc.

3 Likes

I like where you are heading with this.

1 Like

That’s the spot I find myself.

I’ve spent $1000s, mostly to play Elite D: HOTAS, 8K, chair mounts for my HOTAS (which cost more than the HOTAS itself !), i7-8700K, 2080, RAM, SSD, etc. and I plan to get an 8KX, once my family has recovered from some major unexpected expenses.

4 Likes

Best of Luck! Speaking of which I think it might be a good idea for Pimax to start partnering up with some of the more popular VR Sim Titles.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly! DCS players for example are exactly who Pimax should focus on. It seems DCS players spend tons of money on extremely expensive HOTASes, complete rigs, and the DCS expansions themselves are actually some of the most expensive ‘games’ on Steam and (surprisingly for me to see) these players buy them up like candy with little complaints. (The new F-16C Viper expansion for example is $79.99!)

And the advantages of 8KX are especially important for DCS as the ability to read all the gauges and better see enemy planes in the distance plus the wide FOV is so good, both for competitive play and immersion.

My 8K is already very immersive for me in DCS, so I can’t wait for 8KX!

1 Like

Honestly I want to test out Virtual Desktop for myself. If the 8KX can double as a really expensive desktop replacement I can see value in it outside of gaming.

3 Likes

To me where all this went wrong was with the naming of the 4K.
It had a 4K screen so they pitched low SDE and named the headset a 4K VR headset. But that too was upscaled. But fair enough.

But now with the Pimax 2, they wanted to do the same trick and name it 8K. And then things went all over the place.

I think it would even be better to call it the Pimax 2 and then just have flavors and prices with cute nick names like ‘5K’ or ‘Full 8K’ or whatever the community comes up with. Heck, I even like the term ‘hammerhead’.

Anything is better than the naming they went with, what seems to be a try to get weight from established names with a ‘Plus’ addition like Apple uses. I feel like the 8KX could have been the 8K Max Pro

2 Likes

If there’s one thing Pimax likes, it’s resolution no.s and Xs and +s.

Calling them ‘Vision’ headsets seems to be the way to go.

Personally If I was them I’d trademark the words ‘Wide Fovea Display’ and pretend to create my own category. Like what Apple did with the ‘Retina’.

1 Like

I think it is not so much about hiring someone, it is more about workflow (English texts going out without being checked). PimaxUSA should be able to spot such glaring mistakes immediately, even Sweviver should see them most of the time. English is my 3rd language and I can easily see what nonsense those slogans are.

5 Likes

I’m going to come back to this and say it’s a good thing Pimax is NOT in the media spotlight. Just imagine the Crapstorm they would create from their bad PR Practices.

4 Likes

“Unrivaled”

Not "Unrivalled.

1 Like