Pimax 8KX testing progress December 20, 2019

It is 140 in Normal. @SweViver is not using a tool like Hmdq which shows what pimax is requesting to be rendered.

1 Like

Up to 162 wide. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

If Normal FOV is 140 now, then Index FOV must be like 100…?? I mean Small FOV is significantly larger than Index FOV

Check hmdq database. It’s if mem serves same as either Vive Pro or og Vive which was slightly bigger.

I think it might have been 108? @risa2000

If Index is 108 FOV, then I doubt Oculus Rift S (or especially HP Reverb) is even 80FOV

1 Like

It has all the headsets tested so far.

5k+ 8k, Og Rift, og Vive, Vive pro, Reverb… And more.

Almost had Xtal. But fellow to my awareness hasn’t gotten back.

But no a 5" screen provides around 90 to 95 as we know from OSVR.

You really need to use the tools that are freely available.

Og p4k has around 95.

Pimax requests from OpenVR the values that Hmdq pulls & displays. This is what is rendered.

2 Likes

According to the new OpenVR Benchmark, 8KX renders 113 degrees per eye horizontally.

3 Likes

I do not want to open another discussions about numbers of FOV

Sweviver is saying he see some distorsions on normal fov at extreme edge of normal fov

that is a little % of it, I am sure they do not disturb,

but at pimax place

I would cut the distorsions at normal fov. How much measures then normal fov is not important.
while at small fov i would take all the sweet spot How much measures small fov is not important.
and potato/micro/mini/nano fov would be for compatibility with old pc and test purpose

to end the discussion
if distorsions above 140 , there is an area where they are less strong i would take that part making another FOV
and last fov is 170 fov horizontal/200 diagonal

There is really nothing to discuss. The Hmdq pulls what each headset requests to be rendered for FoV from OpenVR. So that is what is rendered.

Large is 162 wide.

It’s also why it’s unfortunate the fellow on Reddit whom bought the Xtal hasn’t gotten back to if he used the hmdq program.

1 Like

As the maximum fov. What you see can be smaller though.

2 Likes

Whatever it might be, barely anyone uses it. Not because of edge distortion, but because we dont have hardware that can run it. I must say I almost never use Large FOV. Because I hardly feel the difference anyway, and it tanks the performance, especially with PP enabled.

2 Likes

Same for the small bit of extra FoV not really needed. Though have heard SkyrimVR works well with it.

1 Like

Well Skyrim can do it, especially with FFR enabled. But yeah, it’s really not needed. The only time I feel the extra 20 degrees adds something is in racing simulators. Assetto Corsa races feels faster in Large FOV :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and its one of the very few simulators that can handle 90fps with such resolution.

3 Likes

Here You go guys:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/halflife-alyx-tested-on-8-headsets-included-the-pimax-5kplus-see-here/24526/16?u=drwilken

6 Likes

For reference: Standing up (I’m 1.80), at the center of the grid, I can count 26 rings in the Index, before I have to squint to resolve the delineation. Don’t know what the framing and focus of the photo is, nor the virtual-world height of the headset. :7

I tried 12288 for a little while, but really didn’t find the witchspace passage effect compelling enough to spend that much time in it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahem…

First of all: I really wish everybody who persists in using the wrong definition of “sweet spot”, would cut it out, and take what Risa wrote to heart; We do not need the ambiguity, that keeps tripping up discussions with misunderstandings over and over again.

Then:

I don’t know about all the units you have been trying, but my p5k+ (no matter how close and well aligned my eye is to the lens (EDIT: …and we’re being told the 8k+ and 8kX have the same lenses)) had about the same per-eye cone of clear vision, and falloff rate of it, as my old Vive and Rift CV1 (in degrees - not percent or something like that), whereas with the Index, properly fitted (and it has a tiny sweet spot (by the proper definition), within which one must be for the desired result), I can easily read text almost all the way out to the edges, before it gets too blurry – unthinkable with the 5k+, whose rapidly degrading focus makes it so that you quickly loose a sense of 3D, just a few degrees out from the centre – an impression I see Pimax users describe again, and again.

…and this is very much evidenced by all the people who shove their lenses together, far closer than they should be for a correct projection (setting themselves up for tons of distortion), just to alleviate this matter (which is exacerbated by the canting of the lenses), just so that they can get the narrow bit of view straight ahead in focus in both eyes simultaneously.

The “pretty good” edge to edge clarity of the index’s lenses, is what really sets it apart.

3 Likes

Thanks. Interesting!

By the way, regarding that thread and video. Gotta love Norm for his statement. Made my day

4 Likes

@jojon somehow this tells me you are not wearing your Pimax correctly. I can read things clearly on the sides even beyond the binocular overlap (maybe 120-130 degrees out.

On the other hand, my Index is blurry at least the last 20 degrees around the frame, no matter how I adjust it. I can definitely say my old Samaung Odyssey have a larger “sweviver sweet spot”

We are all very different it seems.

2 Likes

You’re welcome… :wink:

It (hmdq by @risa2000) was announced here:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/hmdq-a-new-tool-for-an-openvr-headset-and-other-hw-introspection/21485

I don’t know what to say about that other than I was kinda disappointed that someone like him, on a show like theirs would say that about Pimax (I’m guessing we’re talking about the stretching/zoom-in of the image, right?)… :man_cartwheeling:

1 Like

We are all different, but you can rest assured I leave no stones unturned, when it comes to finding the sweet spot.

1 Like

It was initial meaning but when VR has evolved ppl starts name “sweetspot” area without visible blur.

You’re both right.

2 Likes