Pimax 8KX testing progress December 20, 2019

@Djonko Im still referring to your example, which makes no sense.

@sweviver @djonko you guys are amazing. :man_cartwheeling:

Idk whats the emoji about.

6 Likes

I just love it. Tells a lot about how stupid this discussion is.

10 Likes

Sweviver, please read this text a few times, slowly and carefully. Because you donā€™t seem to read what I say. In the photo above you post 3 pics of that wall with the clock. However the 3rd time the wall is much more to the middle of the lens. Of course thereā€™s no distortion that way. Distortion happens at the edges

3 Likes

I agree on that. But go on guys, itā€™s fun to watch. :popcorn:

7 Likes

But anyway, @sweviver agrees that thereā€™s distortion on ā€˜normal FoVā€™ at the edges. So discussion closed.

2 Likes

Well technically Sweviver said 130ish. As we do have distortion though not bad in Normal (140 wide). Itā€™s large itā€™s more pronounced as itā€™s 162 wide. Edge of FoV of course. :popcorn::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If you REALLY want to take this further - then fine. Tomorrow Im setting up my DSLR with 24mm lens, and I will show something more closer to what my eyes sees from that perspective.

At this point, I somehow feel that no matter what TTL image I would show u, you will find a problem. Simply because you want to find that flaw so badly.

3 Likes

Well we all seem to experience it in different ways. To me itā€™s the main reason I donā€™t like my 5k+ too much.

I preordered the 8k-X. Why would I want it to have distortion? I just want good VR.

Case closed. Pimax is junk. Index wins. Now letā€™s move on with our lifes.

3 Likes

Yeah yeah Im asking the same question

Instead if Pimax 8K X is distorsion free until 140

then NORMAL FOV is without distorsions

at least for @SweViver

because we have differents IPD, eyes, brains :laughing:

1 Like

Last time I measured Normal FOV it was 146 or 148 degrees.

Yes there is slight distortion on the edges on Normal FOV. Its improved on 8K+ and 8KX but not perfect.

Its a matter of living with it, or choosing a 115FOV headset. The freedom of choices!

5 Likes

Well I know itā€™s there. But think SweViver forgets that @neoskynet pointed out one getā€™s used to limitations in optics & less bothered by them.

After all this was true in part with SDE as marketed by Oculus & htc. Though many couldnā€™t get ā€œused to itā€. The same is true with getting used to moving your head instead of your eyes in gen1.

Which is still somewhat true in gen2 pimax headsets.

1 Like

Well the 5k+ vs index, I agree. But about the 8k-X Iā€™m not sure. Every headset has its strong and weak points. Iā€™m hoping Iā€™ll like the 8k-X resolution so much that the distortion is only a minor concern.

2 Likes

Kinda a silly conclusion above your post. But also true for some & false for others.

The 5k+ of course will show more distortion as we know when even compared to the 8k. The higher panel Res simply has more pixels to smooth things out in the distortion profile.

why pimax do not change normal fov to 140 ?
and put small fov to 120 that is to say ā€œall the sweet spotā€

You will hate your Index after you tried your 8KX. All Im saying.

5 Likes

As soon as we update OpenSource GitHub repository to the latest version of Pimax, you will be able to make your own FOV modes. 140, 145 or whatever.

8 Likes