Pimax 8KX testing progress December 20, 2019

It’s strange how much people’s experiences differ. For me (on my 8K) the area that is in-focus is at least 80% of the distance to the outer edge. It must be related to face-shape or something like that. Honestly, I wonder if people haven’t got the headset fitted properly.

As for the “sweet spot” location, where the eye must be to have this wide area in focus, it seems to be very small within ~1 mm or less. Once my headset is in position, I rarely have to adjust it.

5 Likes

If this was 1 year ago, long before I was working for Pimax, I would probably lesson up Norm about the Pimax FOV in a video, dedicating a week for that video.

Today Im just laughing loud when I see so called Youtube VR experts to claim something like Norm did. It just proves a lot about his lack of experience and knowledge. Either that, or someone’s paying him enough to play stupid.

Either way. I doesn’t bother me at all. Its just funny. And painfully embarrassing at the same time.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s probably a better way to handle it… :smiley:

It’s not like I’m crying myself to sleep over it. It’s more like I’m facepalming a lot… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Not face shape as such. It’s all about the position of the eye relative to the lens; And the shape of one’s face absolutely makes it more or less difficult to get into that position, but that is the only way in which it has influence - more of an intermediary in the cause-effect chain, than the cause itself… :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, the optical properties of one’s eye is a different matter. :7

I have been trying with just one eye, and looking through the lenses from every conceivable position and angle, and as I mentioned: There are many who report bad experiences with the headsets.

I envy you your experience.

Now: There is another factor to the matter or seeing clearly across the FOV, which the Pimaxes happen to share to a degree with the Rift CV1, and that is that the centre of the lenses being offset between the eyes, can give you the impression that the clear area is larger than it actually is, since one’s brain can “decide” to fuse the distance that seems clear to the left for the left eye, with the distance that seems clear to the right for the right eye, and take that sum as the width that is in focus, even though the focus fallof in the opposite direction for each eye is significantly shorter, causing really bad binocular disparity, where a seen feature is sharp in one eye, and blurry in the other.

6 Likes

What always hits me is… ehm, how to say this without upsetting anyone…

I’ve never had glasses. Never needed any. Only sunglasses of course. Many of them. I brake them often.
Anyway… Not a single pair of the sunglasses that Ive had gave me a distortion free peripheral view. Nor the original $250 Ray Bans and Oakleys or the cheap $3 Dolce Gabbana Thai copies. Some of them cut off a lot of the horizontal FOV. Some gave me a weird perspective, it didnt feel right. Others gave me weird reflections, optical illusions and even headache. Some of them were seriously distracting me when driving my car. Still today I feel uncomfortable driving with sun glasses.

Im just thinking. How come people can live with those glasses and be happy people, when any kind of distortion or abnormality in a VR headset is a disaster?

And another question would be… how come we rely on VR headset reviewers with glasses, while we never benchmark or evaluate their glasses in the first place?

Just some food for thoughts…

10 Likes

And without even talking about that Pimax headsets have more FoV that any glasses or sunglasses.
When wearing glasses in a Pimax, you get really annoyed by the glasses frames.

3 Likes

You shouldn’t have to repeat yourself. I think most people would trust the opinion of the guy who’s actually able to compare each headset over someone who hasn’t. We definitely appreciate you sharing the details of the 8KX!

12 Likes

Ur jelly about my Saints Row IV sunglasses.

4 Likes

By the way, back on topic. Tested Stormland today, through Pitool with Pimax 8KX.

Beautiful game, the sharpness and the details are amazing, especially running full resolution. Too bad we need Parallel Projection to make it look correct, and even with PP there are some minor problems, but I can live with that.

Performance is quite low on full res (4196x3160). Probably around 45-50fps, even after tweaking shadows etc. Running PiTool at 0.75 though, with Temporal AA and some custom settings is not exactly as supersharp but still free of jaggies and makes it running mostly smooth in 75Hz. Still looks beautiful, no doubt. Lack of visible SDE really makes it look cinematic in the first 15 minutes of the game I tested.

But if you are considering to play this on 8KX, be ready with an overclocked 2080Ti - or better. Especially since we are limited to just adjust the PiTool RQ slider for now, and not SteamVR SS. At least until Revive version starts to work. FFR doesnt kick in. Smart Smoothing does and helps making it smooth while walking, but I prefer to play without it enabled.

I just wish I had time to play this game now. It really looks fantastic.

12 Likes

Sorry I missed this one. New 8KX cable is as thick/thin as the original Pimax cable.

7 Likes

Are you planning on reviewing iracing with the 8kx? I’ve pre ordered the 8k plus because of concerns about being able to run native 4K with iracing. My system is similar to yours so would be interested about wether you could run that sim smoothly with out dumbing down the graphics options

3 Likes

I will test it. Im still paying for that damn iRacing subscription every month without any use for the past…8 months maybe? :joy:

And I totally forgot the fact that iRacing has always been the racing sim that looks sharpest of them all on the 5K+. I cant wait to see it on 8KX. Probably gonna check it out later tonight!

7 Likes

Thanks, I know there are several members on this board that will appreciate that. Sims like that are certainly the best suited for what Pimax offers in a HMD and the reason I have both the 5k plus and original 8k

5 Likes

I think one of the biggest issues we face is the perception; if I can see it so should you.

Toba whom has said according to doctors has good sight. But because he states he can’t see SDE even I think he said og vive. Ppl jumped on him claiming his vision “has” to be defective. Which is false.

Much like during the testing you couldn’t observe the moving world phenomenon. Or that while Seb could see 8k wobble & the majority couldn’t without a special test.

One’s experience while maybe similar to others is unique to their unique PoV.

As I told one member whom couldn’t see some of the issues others said were clearly there. If you don’t see it, then it’s not affecting your enjoyment. It’s best not to focus on seeing it. As once you see it. You can’t unsee it & may affect your enjoyment. Consider it a boon.

8 Likes

I hope not, but as stated by Sweviver and others have stated the better distortion profiles and different panels with the KX are “supposed” to make the distortions less…We shall see with side by side comparisons soon!

1 Like

Thats a real pitty about stormland,i realy hope i can play this game fluid someday on my upcoming pimax 8kx and hopefully with good sound with the audiodeluxe headstrap from pimax…

Maybe eyetracking can help @SweViver?

2 Likes

It is also not inconceivable that there has been extreme manifacturing inconsistency between devices…

After Neal’s positive testimony above (sorry, anybody else, whose judgement I trust less :P): Regardless of whether it is just my particular delivered unit, or my aging eyes, or my psychovisual faculties; If, when I get my 8kX, I experience the same optical impressions as I got from my 5k+, I just may take a knife to my expensive new toy, and experiment with adding or subtracting half a diopter, or two (by modifying how high the lens sits over the screen).

1 Like

Last time I bought sun glasses I spent like 2 hours searching for the ones with the minimum amount of distortion. I just NEEDED sun glasses for protecting my eyes against the bright sun. Otherwise I would not wear them, just because any glasses distort the light, no matter how expensive they might be. What’s necessary for distortion free HMDs is eye tracking. Because when you look towards the edges, the position of the pupil changes as the eye rotate. So the projection matrix of the frustum needs to be updated accordingly, for the location of the pupil.

1 Like

Olympic farting. :man_cartwheeling::woman_cartwheeling:

5 Likes

I had another thought. I’m quite near-sighted, after decades of staring at computer screens, so I don’t need to wear glasses in my 8K. I wonder if that has helped my experience in VR.

3 Likes