Pimax 8KX testing progress December 20, 2019

Agreed as Normal FoV is around 140 wide & has minimal distortion. Where as Large FoV is 162ish wide.

I dont know why Im even wasting time on this, but as some people have a hard time to understand how optics work, I will give you a visual example and proof why you saw “distortion” on the Pimax 8KX image. Here we go:

1. Smartphone camera far away from the lens: OH NO, Pimax is full of distortion!! What a small sweetspot!!

2. Smartphone camera closer to the lens. Oh no still distortion everywhere!!

3. Smartphone camera more closer to lens. Similar to the original shot (but horizontally held camera)

4. Smartphone camera even closer to the lens now. Oh… suddenly things makes sense, right? :slight_smile:
    WHERE IS THE PIMAX DISTORTION NOW??? HMMMMMMM…

And remember, with a proper lens and DSLR camera, you would hardly see any blur within this FOV at all. Why? Because it doesnt exists when you see it in VR. At least not until you pass 140-150 degrees or so

26 Likes

I’m going to call the police.

8 Likes

Really? Look at the right of your photo, there it is, more obvious than before

Of course it doesnt happen on the wall now since that’s now very close to the center, where no distortion happens. Distortion happens at the edges. Not sure why you don’t understand that?

2 Likes

Just for you my friend. Taken from the last image above

12 Likes

Maybe this is because this time its not at the edge?..

1 Like

Wow good eye, I hope its just the camera and not the profile

Again, distortion happens only at the edges. Not in the middle. So if you center the wall in the middle of course it has no distortion.

Because you said you saw distortion on the clock. Which does not exist as the clock on the wall is barely 40 degrees to the left.

It would likely be best to get Shots made by Doc Ok or using the RobotVR headset testing unit.

As said all TTL shots don’t generally do justice to what is seen or measured. @OlivierJT evaluation pointed out & Xunshu said herself. HiFoV headsets come with compromises & tricks.

Some have acute enough vision to be affected by the optical tricks short comings.

Ie 8k Wobble, greater sensitivity to geowarping
, SDE, Colour Vibrancy etc. causing the VR world seem less real.

@Possyguset remarked after a time away from his 5k+ he now sees issues with the 5k+ that he had become accustomed to.

@Neoskynet said folks will get used to a variety of visual effects with projectors to not notice them.

3 Likes

So you’re claiming there’s no distortion on the 8k-X and that it’s all caused in the photo by you holding the camera too far away, while ALL of your 8k-x photos above show distortion (even the one you claimed has no distortion) and the index photo shows no distortion. Ok.

???
You never saw any wall on the original image.

1 Like

If you calm down a bit and just read above what I said, where I drew the lines you’ll get it.

1 Like

The bookcase is where you could see the warp in the straight line

2 Likes

Up to around 140 degrees or so, yes.

The blur you see in the last picture is because of the fact I cant reach the smartphone camera all the way to the lens.

Could you PLEASE point out the distortion for me in the last photo?

Take a look at the wall to the right and where I drew the red line. I’m really not sure why you get always this hyped up. Just calm down a bit and discuss it like adults do. Even if you think the guy you’re discussing with has it all wrong, just show him where he’s wrong in a normal way.

3 Likes

Here is a normal way to show that you are wrong:

If you have any idea about how optics bend light, then you should understand the relationship between these 2 images above.

1st image with camera further away from the lens. 2nd closer to the lens. Does make sense, right? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually I think that you both are saying the exact same thing…Sweviver is just saying that the 8kx is distortion free up to around 140 degrees. Note that 140 degrees is NOT the edge for the 8kx. You are saying that the Pimax headsets have distortion at the edges. Sweviver is not denying that.

6 Likes

Yes correct.

All Im trying to say is that ALL the above images only show around 110-120 degrees FOV or less.

Which in real life, does not show the distortion you would see if you just take a shot with a cheap smartphone camera.

4 Likes

Well if that’s what @sweviver is trying to say I totally agree of course. I said that in the beginning: the smaller the FoV, the less distortion. I also said, if you want a small FoV why buy a pimax? I run my pimax at ‘normal’ mode so I don’t care about small FoV