Pimax 8KX testing progress December 20, 2019

Could be - the past year, I have, as is common at my age, begun to go off in the opposite direction, and now need reading glasses for anything that is closer than 40-ish centimetres (anything farther than that is perfectly fine, though (EDIT: without any visual aid), so your myopia case and my progressing farsightedness one would explain things if the virtual focal distance of the 8k/5k was less than half a metre.

What speaks against it, is that that distance is supposed to be between one and two metres (according to a half-or-less-official comment from somebody from Pimax, sometime in the past). :7

(I have tried both positive and negative reading glasses with the 5k+, by the way, but they all only make the matter worse ā€“ canā€™t seem to cheaply source any that are weaker than +/- 1, though. :7)

(I could also clear as day make out the SDE and dark dots in the 5k+, so by that indication, itā€™s not like I should have been off focus to begin with; Things were perfectly sharp in the centre - it is the falloff that started early and progressed rapidly.)

1 Like

Yes even the og vive I couldnā€™t see it. I literally had to google what is sde lol. No matter how hard I look I cant see it. Maybe people with 20/30 vision cant see it? I remember there was another person in here with 20/30 and he couldnā€™t see it either. Guess weā€™re the lucky ones.

1 Like

My best vision is in the range of ~.7 -1.2 m, so if the Pimax focal distance was ~1.0 m, that would explain why I can see the SDE so clearly on my 8K. SDE was the reason I kept my 8K pledge and why the 8KX is so appealing to me.

I still strongly suspect that the ā€œwidth of the threadsā€ in the SDE is actually wider in the 8k than the 5k+, by the way, just like it appeared in some through-the-lens photos - only maybe one can maybe still perceive that as more ā€œpleasantā€ to the eye, with the diagonal orientation, and the alternating colour subpixel pattern (EDIT: ā€¦next to the harsh orthogonality of the RGB stripe)ā€¦ :9

FYI thereā€™s now AI in iRacing for the MX-5 cup car (comes free).

2 Likes

Waitā€¦u mean we can finally play it offline? Thats great news! One thing that always kept me away from digging deeper into iRacing was the fact (or my impression) that you had to race online, which I never found time for to practice on and get betterā€¦

3 Likes

The only question I would maybe raise here is how much more demanding it is doing that vs racing with other competitors. There are limits even with The 5k plus when it comes to a test session vs an actual race. I have an 8700k at 5ghz and a 2080ti with a modest overclock and still canā€™t run everything maxed out in an actual race. I run dirt mostly and that is a bit more demanding

1 Like

On the bright side, you will have 15 less frames to render every second. Thatā€™s automatically 17% less risk for stutters :yum:

2 Likes

Something I find interesting is that Aerofly FS2, using same settings in-game, using SteamVR SS 100% and PiTool at 1.0, i get these results:
8KX: Mostly smooth 75fps, occasional frame drop
8K+: Constant loss of frames (80-90fps)

1 Like

Thatā€™s if I switch back to the 8kx :wink:. I changed my order to the 8k plus after the early Dec report of delays. That being said it would seem as though even the 8k plus wonā€™t ship until after the 1rst of the year. More than likely I will end up with both :joy:. A good SweViver review will help influence my decision

2 Likes

Not sure yet if itā€˜s due to the new panels or indeed due to mas+ck.
Iā€˜m pessimistic and say that the new, more utilized panels are the reasons for those improvements but weā€˜ll see.

Is it possible that Pimax enhances or optimizes Parallel Projections so that it doesnā€™t utilize so many resources in the future? Or is that just not possible?

1 Like

Maybeā€¦ but it will still require a lot of extra pixels to be rendered. The only real solution is to encourage VR developers to do adjustments in their game and remove the need of PP, like some has done already. Like DCS World, rFactor2, Obduction and others.

Valve Index uses parallel projection on default and losing performance, so its just a matter of time before developers understand the need of adopting their VR games for canted displays/wide FOV.

As a side note, Elite Dangerous straight out (more or less) said ā€œFUā€ to me when I personally asked them about it. Despite hundreds of Pimax users asking for it in ED forums.

Btw, official support for canted displays (no need for PP) came in Unreal Engine 4.18. Some games just might need to get updated by the devs.

4 Likes

Myself and several other pimax owners went to IRacing with this subject and they were very quick to remedy it and no longer requires PP. Another reason itā€™s my preferred sim. They seem to understand that VR is the future of the sim experience

4 Likes

The official answer from Pimax is approximately 2 meters. I donā€™t have the quote handy but it was posted last year some time.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I believe 2 m. Thatā€™s fuzzy for me w/o glasses. It seems much closer to 1 m, given my near-sighted experience. Iā€™m happy about that, since it means I donā€™t need to wear glasses in my 8K.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure this could be answered objectively by anyone with the skill to measure it. Until then I have no strong opinion

@risa2000 has already submitted a potential solution with Modified Mask & a couple other ideas.

1 Like

Yeah iRacing is all about the competition online. I enjoy trying to get my laptimes better, but thatā€™s only half the battle when playing vs actual people. This new iRacing season is introducing AI, some of the best around too, super customizable(according to what Iā€™ve read at least, havenā€™t tried it yet). Right now only the Porsche 911 gt3 (paid car) and MX-5 cup (free) has AI on certain tracks. Tons of info here: AI Racing - iRacing.com | iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations. As of now (12/21/19) the only free track for AI is Lime Rock Park

You can even make entire rosters of drivers, and set many different attributes:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s sad to hear. I can only say that I had a chance one evening back in Feb to meet some of the Fdev senior staff and asked their community manager Will (who was new at the time) about VR and Pimax. None of them had ever heard of Pimax, which didnā€™t surprise me, but worse was that the guy didnā€™t really know VR was a thing for the game. It seems no one at Frontier had mentioned that to himā€¦ :roll_eyes:

Theyā€™re very smart, but many of them simply donā€™t play their own game very much and donā€™t understand what appeals to many of their players about it.

He even then suggested ā€˜Hey sounds fun we should have a YT VR livestreamā€™, but I pointed out that itā€™s probably not that fun for the audience to watch him for an hour with a headset on. Not sure heā€™s ever tried VR to consider stuff like that. Ah wellā€¦

They also announced that they would not be supporting ā€˜unofficialā€™ headsets despite it being Number 3 in their list for months, although they seem to have recently added the Index as a supported one https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/848. Overall, the development support for the game is being scaled back except in specific areas

Bring on Star Citizen, it gets massively better every quarter and VR support is still theoretically in there somewhere :crazy_face:

3 Likes