Pimax 8KX testing progress December 20, 2019

( oups more replying to Helio then you :wink:

The best example I can give is in astronomy if you use cheap oculars the sweet spot will be very narrow and only a few degree wide from the central axis of the optical apparatus

The sweet spot is not directly related to the sharpness across the field of view itā€™s simply the localization in space of your eyes vs the lens where the displayed images have the best quality possible for a given headset within a acceptable margin toward translation in the X/Y axis of the observer for a given best Z distance.

Unless you have extremely big or small eyes it should not change much. Itā€™s more a property of the optical system. For the same sweet spot size perceived distortion/sharpness could vary from person to person this could influence what is seen as an acceptable sweep spot size but the optical properties wonā€™t changes

3 Likes

This unfortunately is the feeling I share too - there whole season concept seems to be being dialled back year after year, and I am convinced the next big update, now slated to cme end of next year, is the last substantial addition to ED. After that they will at most provide updates & big fixes to secure compability with new hardware & software. I guess they donā€˜t like the business model because continuously paying for servers while the customers only paid once at the purchase of the game is not ideal. They had the brightidea to push paid seasons but only once did so with the horizons season, and the next one will be the second and last paid season it seems.

Itā€˜s a pity but not much we can do. Hopefully others like SC will step in with substantial game play and simulation - I donā€˜t really care about the action-packed Eve like combat simulators, combat is not my primary, not even secondary motivation to play the gameā€¦

2 Likes

Heh, replying to myself, with a silly little thought experiment. :stuck_out_tongue:

So, say Robin has acquired myopiaā€¦ That does not strike me as a far fetch - he comes across as somebody who have most likely worked behind a computer monitor most of his career, and he does wear glasses ā€“ heck, increase in cases of near-sightedness has supposedly also been markedly higher in China over time, than elsewhere in the world.

So carry on the loose reasoning from that, and figure that he has designed the Pimax lenses tailored to his own eyes - maybe his engineering team are all similarly afflicted - we are all nerds here, after all. :7

One could easily imagine that should produce something much like what we seem to be having here:

For people with elongated eyeballs, after years of office work; The view is perfectly fine and sharp, falling focussed onto their retinas for imagery from a long radius away from the centre of the lens.

ā€¦but for everybody else, who still have fairly round eyeballs; Theyā€™d still have a sharp image in the exact centre, but then, outwards from that spot, the light would be focussed to a curving plane that lies a bit behind their retinas, producing just the severe falloff in focus many of us seeā€¦

Yeahā€¦ Just brain-barfing hereā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah indeed, and Iā€™ve been an Elite fan since the BBC days. Donā€™t want to go too far off topic but now I feel a tortoise and hare analogy makes sense. SC 3.8 released last night and the additional thought that has gone into the systems, from dynamic weather to law to mining (and I wouldnā€™t normally bother mining in ED) surpasses Eliteā€™s, it can deliver gameplay we endlessly waited on but never received from FDev.

I just hope the tortoise doesnā€™t run out of puff before the finish line :wink:

4 Likes

Since the latest Unreal Engine doesnā€™t require PP, that should mean that more and more upcoming new games developed with 4.18 shouldnā€™t require it, right? Or is it something developers still have to decide to enable?

2 Likes

Last night, I paid particular attention to how large the in-focus area was.

From the center to the top/bottom ~80% is crisp enough to read text in Elite D and from the center to the outer edge is about 70% (in Normal FOV). In the central area everything is super-crisp, so that the SDE is annoyingly visible, but closer to the 70-80% edge of the sweet spot, the SDE is no longer visible. Tiny text is a bit hard to read in the periphery, but the medium-sized text, like the time, is quite readable until it gets close to the edge of the lenses.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s hoping to get results like yourā€™s, in the 8kX. :7

ā€¦although if my prior experience was all about my 5k+ having been a dud (one of many, many, judging by what others have to say), I feel kind of guilty now, for selling it on ā€“ I really hope the buyer feels he got his moneyā€™s worthā€¦

3 Likes

Thank you Sweviver for all your updates and enthusiasm to the Pimax Kickstarter project, including 8K-X. Itā€™s good to have these threads posted to keep our interest and hope alive.

9 Likes

I want to throw in another aspect which imho differentiates the pimax from most other hms regarding the perceived distortions: the lenses move over the stationary panels. The panels are so massive that pimax decided to not let them move with the lenses when dialing in the ipd.
So the distortion profile must Include one more factor: the position of the screens relative to the lens.
And my terribly awful experience with the p4k in that regard tells me that there is a good chance that pimaxes of the earlier generation did have more often not properly aligned s creens which is the reason for the many different experiences with p5k/8ks.
I recall sweviver stating a few month ago that the distortion was improved by more properly testing the assembly of the screens (if they are in correct position).

I do hope that Pimax is improving their assembling even more and that soon via eyetracking pitools is using the correct information Of the position of our eyeballs to correct for all of that necessary for us to have an optically correct view of the virtual worlds.

5 Likes

I want to add: thank you so much @SweViver for the information you provide. You rock!

I do know how you must feel about others misinterpreting your info given. If on purpose or not does not matter at all. I am an expert (worldchampion) and had to learn my lessons in communicating with non-experts or hobbyists. It is not easy to accept that you can not explain things to everyone - despite you would love to because you are driven by passion :crazy_face:

8 Likes

This is me. Had glasses all my life. Every time my prescription changed, Iā€™d have a period of adjustment where there was warping and distortion at the peripheral of my vision, but my brain adapted to it, and it ā€˜went awayā€™ so to speak. Even now, where the lenses cut off (I donā€™t where those huge 1980ā€™s glasses anymore, lol) there is a very sharp change in magnification with some distortion, and it doesnā€™t bother me.

This is why Iā€™m not worried about distortion (so long as it isnā€™t at carnival funhouse levels of course), I know my brain will get used to it and then filter it out.

I do want to get laser surgery though, Iā€™d heard life without glasses is amazing, and Iā€™d love to experience that!

7 Likes

The alternative is not being able to see! :slight_smile:

I wear progressive multifocal lenses ā€œno-line bifocalsā€, thatā€™s a huge adjustment to get used to. The last time I switched to a new prescription, it took me 3 days to adjust. Now I can switch between no glasses, my new prescription, and my old glasses almost instantly.

The thing is, I didnā€™t notice any distortion when I first wore my 8K. There was no adjustment period, so I think that means it was just like wearing no glasses (at least for me).

3 Likes

The new Pimax headset and that little room for glasses made me get laser surgery some months ago.

Loving life without glasses for sure but it did make my vision close by less sharp. When youā€™re near sighted you actually see better close by than someone with 2020 vision. Laser took that advantage away unfortunately. I used to be able to see the pixels on my smartphone but not anymore. Canā€™t focus on my kidā€™s face two centimeter from mine either. I was surprised all this would be so noticeable.

6 Likes

Hi Pimel
Trust med when I say this, your vision will change over the next 2 years, things will become clearer again. I had Relex Smile dine approx 4 years ago, and my sight ā€œsettled inā€ agter approx 2 1/2 years.

6 Likes

I just went from ā€œdefinitely not getting my eyes doneā€ back to ā€œsome dayā€ā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I got my eyes lasered some 7 years ago and I agree with everything @pimel said.

But @DrWilken itā€™s worth it

5 Likes

I understand the argument but I think itā€™s wrong one, VR headsets are for most part amusement and optional usage device. we should not have to train our brain or our vision muscle to use them. This in the long term could be detrimental to our vision health. So manufactures should provide the less artifact or distortion prone headsets possible.

So the comparison with glasses canā€™t stand here, but itā€™s true that any optical devices will have some distortion toward the edges one of the reasons among many others that some manufactures decided not to build large FOV headsetsā€¦

1 Like

The same could have been argued about SDE in first gen VR headsets. Kind of a kin to sitting too close to the TV and having low Res causing other potential sight issues due to Vergence conflict.

In this regard it could be said headsets with HP Reverb resolution as min is finally bringing headsets more fit for use.

5 Likes

Huh, interesting! Thankfully Iā€™m farsighted, so I donā€™t have any close vision to lose, its all garbage. It can only improve things from where Iā€™m at, lol.

1 Like

1 Year and might have one Eye re lasered, still think itā€™s worth it for my experience and a bit hassle freeness in VR comes along with it.
Damn now we are at a health progress - sorry, hope to hear some Last updates soon and hope all have time to enjoy the holidays.

3 Likes