Pimax 8KX for sale - ready to ship today [Sold]

Hi Guys, so I have the same problems with the 8KX as I had with the 5K+, so I am selling my 8KX.

I’m including my backer box (kdmas headphones, extra face foam etc.) and coupons ($100 off eyetracking and wireless).

I want £1500 plus shipping (insured) at cost. Any fees for exchange rate or whatever will need to come out of the buyers end. Willing to sell to UK or anywhere in EU.

My 8KX came with a silicon sleeve in the box, so not sure if my backer box will come with another or what their plan is. It came with only a single thin foam, they say extra foams will be included in the backer box when that goes out (September, October?)

5 Likes

which is?..

I think the problems some people have with Pimax headsets are well documented. I can’t get it comfortable and in the sweetspot, so I find myself fighting the headset constantly and not at all immersive.

2 Likes

It’s a shame it won’t work for you. I hope it finds a good home.

3 Likes

Just wanted to know in your specific case what was the problem

1 Like

https://community.openmr.ai/t/today-i-learned-humans-only-see-stereoscopic3d-at-a-90-fov-and-why-most-hmds-aim-for-this-as-a-minimum/29964/2?u=dmel642

5 Likes

Always sorry to see this kind of tech not work out for someone, very sad it came to this. Still, good luck, and I hope it finds a good home.

7 Likes

@Sweviver, @mirage335

By the way - new 8KX owner here, is there a central place with all the getting started setup tweaks for the 8KX gathered in one spot comprehensively yet, or do I have to start digging for a couple of days and probably miss one third of the vital information ?

And may I dare to ask: how far away is the beta release to us of the Pimax Experience ?

9 Likes

You have your 8kx ? What do you think about the image quality?

1 Like

so, its an improvement over the 5K+ in as much as there is much less SDE, almost but not completely gone, but it has all the same downsides as the 5K+ in terms of colours, blur, distortion etc. so if those things bothered you on the 5K+ then they probably will on the 8KX

I can’t be certain, but if Pimax had included, oh I don’t know, say a thicker face foam, maybe even with cut outs for glasses wearers, maybe it would be more comfortable - hey here’s an idea, they could even call it a “comfort kit”, wouldn’t that be crazy. That might work. Sadly I will never know as I’m not willing to wait another 3+ months to find out.

10 Likes

You received your 8kx with the comfort kit but only one face foam ?

I haven‘t used it much to be honest, because my equipment is located in the attic and it was some 34-36 degrees over here for the past week. And I knew that I would need to apply a number of tweaks to let it shine but the forum was down.

In terms of very first impressions: almost no SDE, although I can see the pixel structure on homogenous surfaces but it‘s extremely fine compared to the other headsets (but I will need to compare it e.g. with the Index which I haven‘t worn for about a month; and later the G2).
I still have the same convergence issue I had with the 8K and 5K+, meaning I keep on dialling the IPD down to make it fit perfectly but cannot find a proper setting. I also played a bit with the software IPD but need to continue this approach when temperatures allow for longer sessions.

So I cannot really say much at this stage because I am still trying to set it up properly but haven‘t been able to spend any significant amount of time on it yet, and this weekend may prove difficult too…
I do see a lot of potential but this issue needs to be tackled, or I have to hope my brain will accommodate after a couple of days of use as it did with the previous Pimax headsets.

4 Likes

Yes, only the new thin foam - i have a “narrow” european face so to get the headset not to wobble about I have to wear it quite tight and I can basically feel the plastic digging in to my skin through the foam, so its not at all "comfort"able

2 Likes

Is your narrow face wobble issue due to the left/right edges not touching your face, unless the unit is pulled tight (which compresses the center top of your face)?

If so, I suggest using a few layers of double-sided Velcro to pad the left and right sides (between the face-pad and housing). The nice thing about Velcro is that it’s removable (if needed) and easy to tweak thinner or thicker.

I’ve added some Velcro to my 8K, so that my eyelashes don’t touch the lenses. It’s worked really well for me. I’ve even left a few gaps, so that there’s some airflow around my eyes (which helps reduce fogging and heat buildup). That might be helpful for a VR setup in a hot attic.

1 Like

I’m not butchering my $1300 headset just because Pimax went back on their promise to include multiple face foams. Looking at ebay I can sell the 8KX and buy another headset (that actually had comfort designed in for multiple face shapes) 3 times over. I am so sick and tired of Pimax that I just want nothing to do with them any more. I tested the pimax as it came in the box, it doesn’t work, I can get the best price by not messing it up trying to mod it, so no, screw that, Pimax had their chances with me and completely blew it every step of the way.

Even when I hold the headset in the “right” place, I still prefer the image on my OG vive, so no, thats me done, I’m out.

8 Likes

I used double sided Velcro to get my oculus s to sit on my face at the right angle. I didn’t do anything to my 5k+ after I purchased the vive DAS as I was happy with the image quality but maybe I should have. When my 8kx turns up I will spend a lot more time trying to get a perfect fit. I was surprised how much better the oculus s image was after I packed the bottom half of the face foam.

3 Likes

I understand how You feel about all the “comfort hacks” needed, but what Neal suggests isn’t exactly “butchering” anything unless You mean You’re butchering a roll of velcro by cutting it into pieces… :grin:

I like it neat too though it shouldn’t really matter for the usability (can’t see it while wearing it).

EDIT: Did You mean the butchering of the comfort kit for the eye tracking module?

3 Likes

I already covered this - can anyone guarantee me 100% that velcro will leave absolutely no marks or evidence whatsoever, that could affect resale value? Ok, so back that up with £1500 promised if it leaves any marks?

No. So no, not risking it, thanks.

I tried all these foam/plastic inserts with the 5k+ and it made no difference anyway.

2 Likes

Why would anyone want to promise that? :rofl:

Good luck with the sale… I’m sure You’ll be better of with a G2 or an Index (I mean it genuinely)… :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I didnt find your 8k X on ebay