Pimax 8K X Delivery Dates

I hope they dont do it live, write up, present and record everying you want said to us.

While the vid is premiering+a while afterwards be available in the chat for taking any questions that arrise.

Then compile the written up info, the questions you got and answers you gave in a nice big post for everyone to read and reference.
When more relevant questions are raised and answered append those to the post.

3 Likes

That makes more sense to do as well. Plan out all the info carefully. I guess thats what may be taking so long for them to release this big day of information.

Honestly though, all the talking is really just more stalling for time in my opinion. They just need to start pushing out the stuff or give us real deadlines that they stick to. Some people have been waiting for years!

1 Like

This (and twenty characters) for sure.

Yours truly was a wee young lad when this Kickstarter started.

1 Like

All I can say is when boards get fully panelized you always know large scale production is starting. I’ve been in electronics production for a looong time. Fully panelized SMT certs are always the final fig leaf so to speak because the rest of the production is largely the same as existing production.

It isn’t any indication of delays, in fact it means the line is designed for production in the *thousands. All the recent prep revolves around creating large scale, not 10,100, 500 etc. but thousands of parts per month. Most of the assembly piece is the same as other production headsets so the ramp curve is high.

We have an overall limit on how many headsets we can produce per day so the limit on X is what percentage of that will be this SKU.

The demo units that are being constructed are used (for multiple purposes) but one of the primaries is to calc the assembly time compared to the other headsets so you can figure the effect on production yield. Assembly time calc is also a highly final stage item.

Bottom line is there is no further or new delays. Team is gearing up for this becoming the primary sku and most of the production. The next steps are the sku will slot into the general production.

11 Likes

Hey Kev!

I get all that you’re saying but you said “bottom line there is no delay”.

If there wasn’t any delay, why havent any shipped according to their previously stated deadlines?

Last that i remember reading i believe the first test batch of 100 was to be sent out around April 17th. I can look back and see where in the forums that was put out, but that date was definitely there last that i checked, and then it was said that starting in May the next batch would be going out as well.

8 Likes

In fact, Here’s the february update: https://community.openmr.ai/t/february-17-2020-update/26111

First batch was originally expected to be shipped April 2nd. I later heard it was April 17th somewhere… those dates passed and no updates on what date they’re shipping have been posted since

3 Likes

He just means no new delays on the new unrelease date of shipping.

2 Likes

Like I said the last set contained a couple of pcb changes in March but because there are other items happening in parallel I don’t think it effected the production. Samples and a small batch were indeed produced on that schedule (and that was quite useful btw) but the units were used for assembly testing among other things. Had we shipped any of those to customers it would have caused a similar situation to the 5k+ serial 202 etc. something IMHO I’m glad we avoided here.

Keep in mind that insertion into the general daily output and hand built sample batches are different things.

8 Likes

This is good and useful info, but i think we should have been given updated information like this en-masse to the public. People are getting discouraged (i hear from others asking me all the time if i heard any updates, and some people are about to cancel also because of this)

If pimax were to act proactively and let people know ahead of the issues and delays, it would be embraced alot better by the public in large, rather than them letting people know retro actively after their deadlines come and go.

Just look at reddit. How many people are upset over the constant delays and pushed back deadlines.

I know theyre a startup company pushing massive boundaries but they need to change the way they disseminate information. The emailed updates are great, but there has to be other channels they post these updates on (fb, reddit, IG, etc), and they need to be alot more realistic on their shipping dates and deadlines, and alot clearer in their message.

6 Likes

So does this mean that there maybe 8k+ that will not be able to run 110hz mode? And that your using at least 2 4k panel models?

1 Like

Unrelated to panels, related to specific hardware unique to the X.

7 Likes

Agreed the flow from December to February were definitely better and has taken huge steps backwards again.

3 Likes

Hm, something not related to panels that might have a similar effect as the 202 vs 203/204 story… are you coincidentally talking about the option to plug a second DP cable into the 8kX for a 2x4k@120 Hz mode?
The good thing with not knowing is the big playfield of guessing this allows :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can’t get too detailed about it but it was a change that affects the quality of potential future firmware updates.

13 Likes

Speculating for fun…mmm got to be going beyond 75hz in native mode support!!! :blush:

1 Like

Hi Kevin

I really hope this includes fixing the tracking issues with the Index controllers. It would be really bad to have the Flagship HMD of Pimax to have these issues

3 Likes

What tracking issues are you talking about? I have been playing with the Index controllers and my 8KX exclusively and have seen no issues with any tracking of the controllers or headset? Here I played for over an hour on a live stream and it never had a hiccup! Playing Half Life: Alyx In The Pimax 8KX Live - YouTube

4 Likes

Same. I played for 2.5 hours and did not experience even one hitch. After hearing this I asked a lot of people about it and only 1 said it happened to them but they fixed it by switching usb ports.

For the record I did add the inquiry to our main internal tech support chat for full discussion to see if there are a lot of reports of this.

3 Likes

Guess there numbers are not accurate as there is an entire thread filled with users and @Alex.liu is discussing things with Team and Valve.

References

https://community.openmr.ai/t/tracking-issues-april-2020/26759?u=heliosurge

Started in these threads.

Index Controller looses Tracking

And

Why Pimax Has some controller Compatibility issues

10 Likes