Pimax 7th Anniversary Event

Since they announced the 12K and Crystal with the release dates I have been scratching my head how they will manage to incorporate and integrate all the fancy features they promised in one headset in a plug and play manner.

As long as you haven‘t managed to get it work in combination with your firmware, you‘re not done. And chances are that you might have to revisit hardware design choices you made after all. In that sense I am worried that if they are producing the hardware in numbers w/o all major components fully functional also on the firmware side, it may come back to bite them. Of course it could be just the finishing touches they need to perform - but if a number of features are not stable/functional yet, it would rather suggest you‘re still pretty much in the design & prototyping phase.

Well, good luck to Pimax. As they do not seem to promote the Crystal yet, it doesn‘t seem likely that it will be released in the coming weeks. I personally don‘t really care when they ship a device called Crystal (or 12K) but when such device finally performs what it was announced to perform - in a reliable manner, all features working hand-in-hand as you would expect it. Let‘s see when that day comes.

3 Likes

That’s great news. It suggests that despite the two month covid lockdown, Pimax may not be all that late with the Crystal. Perhaps sometime in October.

If they have stable firmware that just doesn’t have all of features, that probably doesn’t stop them from moving forward.

Firmware and software can be updated right up to the last minute while the hardware is in flight. And it is typical for companies to take advantage of that.

Writing firmware after the hardware is finished is completely normal development. It is typically not possible or not practical to do otherwise. There’s nothing unusual here. And it certainly doesn’t mean they’re still in design and prototyping.

What @Axacuatl means that you might find out during software development, that you should have done things differently in hardware and that you might need to change that again. As an example look at the Pimax 4k. It was advertised as capable of natively 4k. At release it could only do 1080p. Then after a firmware upgrade they got it to 1440p but it turned out that they could not do 4k, they should have designed the hardware differently. Same thing for the wifi which seems to not be working at the moment. If they release it now without working wifi, there’s no guarantee at all that it actually will work some day (at least not as we hope it will). I think you said you write software right? Same thing you might write something at a higher level and only then find out you should have done the lower level differently.

Hehe I do admire your positive thinking, your glass is always half full and the world always pink. But well that’s how we all started with Pimax :slight_smile: when I bought my Pimax 4k in 2016 the possibility that it would never be capable of actually doing 4k never really occurred to me…

2 Likes

That comment is spot on - for Pimax. They‘d just release it and then wonder why there is an outcry from disappointed users. Just remember the 8K, when they thought they were done and send the first units to Youtubers to create positive buzz for the launch and then had to go back to the drawing board when the Youtubers told them that there were dozens of issues with the devices and they were simply not in a state to release yet.

Of course many companies will lock down hardware design before having firmware completed - but that is when they know what they are doing and have solved all major challenges, and it is just a level of polish or well-understood software issues with generally understood solution paths remaining. Pimax have a history of under-estimating the complexity of technical challenges due to inexperience in the particular field of expertise required for solving them.

Good luck in finding customers of a commercial product (not KS project) who are expected to happily dish out 2k+ for a device which doesn‘t reliably provide all the advertised features in a convenient no-hassle manner (which is what they claimed it would be). You‘ll always be able to rely on a small niche of happy tinkerers who are almost better served with a product in alpha state as they can do what they love to do, play around with it for many many hours to try to get it to work; I just don‘t believe that is big enough of a market and it would manifest Pimax‘ reputation once again.

Remember, we were told this time around it would all be different. So far it is sounding rather familiar, but again: let us wait for a bit longer and talk again, if they haven‘t released it in say 1-2 months (or only with incomplete functionality).

2 Likes

Just want information about the Crystal. Even a product page. When spending $1900, I like having time to make an informed decision. Of course, I don’t have to purchase it the first day of release, but certainly want to.

3 Likes

When you see how well PSVR2 is performing in previews and it hasn’t even firmed it’s next year’s launch date, Pimax releasing anything unfinished or unpolished is not likely to impress. I’d just a soon see them delay if not ready.
We all know how inventive Pimax engineers are, but software hasn’t been shown to be one of their strengths. If they cannot demonstrate all the features in final form they should delay. This is no Kickstarter where target features are given a percentage likely hood of being achieved. They really should want to impress with this one, given the hype and the price point.

6 Likes

if you are on 3090 already, i would wait until the TI comes.But thats what o think…

Huh? Are you a time-traveller? I got big news for you, the Ti is available :wink:
At this point in time it would seem wise to wait for independent benchmarks of the new 4000 series to see if it truly is a big leap this time around, in which case I’d recommend to rather go for one of those even if they cost a kidney.

Not sure if you were joking but they meant wait for the 4090 TI, that there is no point in upgrading right now to the 4090 when the 3090 is still great. It’s better to wait to see what the 4090 TI provides.

This is what i was referring to.The 40 series, without the upgrades.

Ah, okay. But honestly, by the time the 4090Ti is released it may make more sense to wait for the 5090 again. I made it a habit to skip one generation, which is why I am still on 2080Ti… I might be waiting for 6 months though to see if prices drop when the shelfs are rid off the remaining 3000‘s series cards and lacking miners & scalpers and due to the high prices the sales figures of the 4090 are not were NVidia would like them to be.

I guess it depends on the gain over the 3090/3090Ti: is it the usual 20-30% increase in performance in games, in which case they could face lower than expected sales, or is it really an extraordinary jump by say 80% which would obviously be better value for money.

Did anyone win one of the NFTs? I know the whole thing was pretty unpopular and scrapped, I still wouldn’t mind one though lol. Mostly because it’s an oddity at this point.

The event was updated, guess it refers to the imminent press release.

Nice, glad to see some movement!

Still waiting to see what this is. I assumed it was the announcement. Maybe it’s nothing? Might just have been for the announcement and then not updated, it’s not present on the Chinese site. Might be the roadshow being announced?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.