Pimax 7th Anniversary Event

You just wrote what I had in mind. ( no need to repeat)

I would like to mention, this Chinese Tech company seemingly still surviving, just because of their unique features. The PIMAX 12K ist quite the next step, hopefully they will be able to deliver in time. Good Luck!

2 Likes

With this insane headset specs iā€™m in for Pimax again :grinning: I anticipate both buth i donā€™t know yet wich one to buy. Anyway Congrats @pimaxvr with your 7th Anniversary!

1 Like

Honestly what to me is more extraordinary is that those others dropped out. Samsung seemed to have stopped at all, HTC and Valve seem to develop at really slow pace. HP, who knows whatā€™s going on. Panasonic tried to enter a few times with prototypes but they seem to get scared every time. StarVR died.

I mean although VR is still extremely niche, in my mind thereā€™s 0 doubt that VR will be mainstream in a not too distant future. Obviously users want more than a pixelated image, bad comfort, small FoV, eye strain and distortion. I know several people who once tried gen 1 and never came back. I canā€™t blame them. But the tech now is close to maturing, the new PSVR2 seems to become a machine that could make the masses enthusiastic. And Apple usually is the company that only dives in when the tech is ready for the masses (next year supposedly). Then why stop now? It makes, in my opinion, much more sense to just keep pumping money into the space, like Meta is doing, even though Iā€™m sure theyā€™re losing now.

VR is going to be huge.

3 Likes

Fwiw, shiftall is Panasonic. Not sure why they decided to use a sub-company name and not go with the panasonic name but I guess you could say they are coming back anyway.

Yeah, but will they ever even release their headset? Panasonic showed, whatā€™s now called the ā€œShiftall MeganeXā€ at CES 2020 already. CES 2020: Panasonic Unveils Worldā€™s First Ultra HD VR Eyeglasses - VRScout

Thatā€™s almost 3 years ago now. It feels like this project will remain a prototype forever ā€¦ Just like that 'ultra wide FoV" headset that they have been working on years ago.

Yeah, thatā€™s very true. They did say they were going to release it earlier this year and that the headset is ready to go but they are still trying to get decent controllers, and yeah they have been quite quiet for a while now.

The fact that they are shipping the haritorax (however it is spelt) makes me fairly hopeful that the meganex will release. I donā€™t have a whole pile of interest in it personally but it could be great. Itā€™s meant to be HDR and people have tried it and said it was very good so I guess thereā€™s that. But yeah, youā€™re right that Panasonic for the most part doesnā€™t exist in the space but maybe that will change.

1 Like

Pimax carved out a section of the market that no other company was brave enough to to even attempt. They werent afraid to be a little rough around the edges to push to the absolute limit of what is capable and they have iterated and improved on each generation since. I really hope these new models can deliver because if they do Pimax has a real opportunity to make even bigger waves in the industry.

2 Likes

I think how much Pimax has grown as a company is pretty remarkable.

1 Like

I give credit to Pimax for having ambition and dedication to keep on creating new headsets but sometimes I wish they would stop shooting them selves in the foot. Before theyā€™ve perfected one headset they move onto the next with even bigger and more ambitious specs. We still donā€™t have a wireless module promised from the Kickstarter. Now they repromised another with no release date. I mean come on, stop it.

We get a CES 2022 shambles that never happened and a string of excuses as long as your arm from - no set builders, Marcins Covid, missing hardware, 25% of venders cancelled so we cancelled, etc. Its was bad. Instead they had YT closed demo which Kevin stated went well but then silence and absolutely no follow up. 9 months later we have a supposed Crystal launch. With two weeks to go units shipping thereā€™s zero sign Crystal IS or ISNā€™T going to happen. lol Two weeks to a major launch with no date, no demoā€™s, no hands on, just pics of loose parts on a desk and a Qualcomm demo with zero feedback. Itā€™s a bizzarre launch. When info is held back itā€™s usually for good reasonā€¦

7 years ago Pimax had the biggest Pimax cheer leader they could ever dream of and where is he now? In a job back stage, silent, never to appear to the public on his or Pimaxes own YT channels. Pimax got more YT coverage and garnered more public excitement for free when Marcin was a security guard!

In 7 years Pimax still has less than 1% of the VR market. No one wants to recommend Pimax headsets and thereā€™s little to no excitement about Crystal because theres no pre hands on videos. Meta and Sony have released several vids inviting top VR Journalists to try their latest hardwares to good effect.

But 5 years later (yes I missed the early 4k years) Iā€™m still here trying to point Pimax in the right direction because I want them to be around in another 7 years. Fingers crossed Crystal and the 12k can live up to the Pimax promise otherwise it with be yet another round of capital investment needed.

2 Likes

When Pimax wanted investment in the Kickstarter they claimed they had years experience producing the 4k to alleviate peoples fears. Years later when they struggle to launch new products like the DAS or Controllers they says itā€™s because theyā€™re still a small company with only 200 employees. A lot of spin goes on at Pimax HQ.

Where and when is this event by the way?

Afaik, it starts on Monday on the main website.

When you go to the official pimax Forumā€¦ not one announcement.

Yeah I donā€™t understand that decision. This forum is healthy and clearly pimax centric so if anything just rebrand this one a bit if they want one thatā€™s more ā€œofficialā€.

Also, sidenote, is this forum built on an existing platform or did pimax make it from scratch? I just ask because itā€™s the most feature complete forum Iā€™ve ever seen, like itā€™s actually absurd how many features this forum has.

1 Like

Itā€™s ready to go, off the shelf software https://www.discourse.org/

2 Likes

Canā€™t wait for more info on either the Crystal or the 12K, they look like super cool headsets. :tada:

3 Likes

Will the 12K actually release this year ? Will it run nicely on a 3090 or we need 4090 ?

Kinda tired of the hype tbh and really need to see something concrete after so long.

I really hope Pimax can deliver before Christmas.

2 Likes

Most interested in the 12K, release date, and more details on timeline for trade-ins (my 8KX has served me well for 2 years but now itā€™s time to upgrade!)

1 Like

Kevin said the requirements will be similar to the 8K X thanks to eye tracking, split rendering, stuff being offloaded to the built in SoC etc. I have been running my 8K X on my 3070 just fine, although upgrading to a 3080 this week actually. I donā€™t think a 4090 will be necessary but I also guess it depends on what the individual deems acceptable, like does it need to be 120hz full native res? Or would you be happy with 90hz at 80% res for a while etc. Iā€™d rather have an overkill headset as you can always turn down the resolution, still benefit from the higher PPD and then upgrade your PC overtime and not need to upgrade your headset to reap the benefits.