Pimax 5k+ teardown + panel info

Yes, iirc, they are PenTile panels.

I wonder how difficult it’d be to swap out the bridge chip on the 8k with a better one. It’d be very interesting to see how the 8k panels look in native res.

there was a newer version of the chip that had the same dimensions and layout as the new chip would have - the 8k was developed before that and this implies it will not be just a swap of the chip
beside this there is also the scaler and that might be between bridge chip an mipi interface of the panels?
also you would need to to you own version of the firmware - hard to do without source and developer software

even if you manage the hardware somehow, you will not be able to use any firmware pimax delivers and developing you own firmware might sound like developing your own headset

3 Likes

Well, Pimax is supposedly going open source.

1 Like

that has limits, as it has with android (also open source)
i expect that the firmware is based on commercial and NDA dev kit’s
i’d only expect pitools to be open source as it is IP of pimax

1 Like

And maybe only the GUI part of it. “Look, we promised open source, so there you are”

thats not fair to talk like this, imho pimax has not done such thing
the 5k+ and 8k are valid products and my personal point of judgement about it will be ~1 year after they started delivering to backers, they have started to early with preorders and retail and will have to suffer from that as there will be lots of comments for a half backed product that could be better

they might be not realistic and in some cases trying to much to do what some backer think is cool and seem not to think things to the end some times (or have no experience in that field for a realistic view - like in the open source case)

2 Likes

Yes I’m a naughty boy for a reason

2 Likes

Simple truth Trevor’s word are neither fair or unfair.

No real details on Opensourcing has been revealed.

2 Likes

i’m more about the laying words into someones mouth (not sure if thats good expressed, my english is limited)

1 Like

Well of course they will not allow full access. That’d be delirious to even wish for.

1 Like