Pimax 5k+ teardown + panel info

Oh hey, somebody actually opened one up. Try this maybe! @Sjef
https://community.openmr.ai/t/any-crazy-people-want-to-try-this-mod-out-on-the-5k-double-perceived-pixel-density/15018

1 Like

Is mostly a bug in the game itself. Elite Dangerous suffers (in some cases, like the Alien Ruins sites) from pop-in, even in 2D.

1 Like

I think that’s because the lenses aren’t designed for maximum clarity while looking straight ahead, they are designed to maximize the area which is sufficiently clear to see the world. If Pimax changes the lens design, I think the sweet-spot will be much smaller.

2 Likes

People need not be very worried about ribbon cables. I thought we were all oldies here. Don’t people remember connecting printers with ribbon cables?
You can easily make your own if you did somehow ruin it. You can buy really wide ribbon cable wires and cut them to the number of wires you need. You can also buy all different sized end plugs if you happen to break that part. Some manufacturers swap 2 wires over along the way…so check for that and if so just swap the same ones over on yours (eg output 1 to input 1, out 2 to in 2, out 3 to in 4, out 4 to in 3…).
I’ve made my own ribbon cables for mods on radio control stuff. It’s fiddly (use a desktop magnifying glass) but easy as.
And they’re not that easy to break unless you’re the person who breaks their phone 5 times per year.

3 Likes

As a VR enthusiast i have to say good job.

12 Likes

But you see “movement.” Which part of the visible area is too blurry?

A lot of people I know has 70mm, including me. :wink:

1 Like

Well that’s hard to say. Since you can’t turn your eyes that much outside, the only way to see the movement is with your peripheral vision.

1 Like

That too. That procedurally generated terrain does not just gain detail, but change character to a high degree, between LOD levels, is one thing; But the way point of interest sites are completely rearranged several times during approach, is just ridiculous – with the cherry on top that the farther they are, the higher off the ground they are placed, leaving residual particles floating high up in the air, when their emitters are switched out. :stuck_out_tongue:

…but I believe we were referring to the VR specific ones at the moment. -They are just as much a problem on the game side of the matter, as the regular ones, though; As far as I can tell, at least. :7

2 Likes

Really nice work! How would you rate build quality overall? On your pictures, device looks pretty solidly built - so case is the most fragile part and gives wrong impression of the device build. Am I mistaken?

7 Likes

Yeah build quality seem quite good.

5 Likes

Man this is awesome - so all they need to improve is housing and cable reliability (in terms of build). Good news.

3 Likes

Would be nice if we could get or buy the front panel from the RE instead of having to send HMD back.

5 Likes

Great conversation here on the tear down and the panel lens designs.
Interestingly enough, when dialing in render targets I always focus on the Vertical Resolution of the Target and try to keep it a factor of the native panel resolution. Maybe I am being silly but I think it helps but it is a pity one can’t in SteamVR dial in SS as a single decimal point factor of the native panel resolution. Instead you get a wildly varying degree of resolution targets which don’t seem to correspond to anything.

i.e. for the 8K if I dial in PiTool to 1.75, SteamVR Vid 20% and App at 50% I get the 8K native vertical resolution. To double that though I have to go to a SteamVR App setting of 200% from the original 50%. It would be great if instead I could have the following setting for native Vertical Target Resolution of
PiTool 1, Steam VR Video 100%, App 100%. Then to dial in SS of 1.4 I just move the App to 140%. SS of 2, App 200% and so on.

Would make my life much easier. Instead I have to bounce settings all over the place to test different SS factors in relation to Target Resolutions and Panel Native Resolution. Really annoying.

At the moment I am bouncing between SS 1.4 and SS 1.5 on the 8K which gives me a reasonable image and performance.

Ribbon Cables, nothing to be afraid of. Just a steady hand and relatively gentle touch. Anyone who has done a Mobile Phone Digitizer/Screen replacement should have no issues dealing with a VR Headset. I too also wish I could just purchase a RE Front Casing and then replace my current cracked standard Front Casing instead of RMA. Waste of time and resources otherwise.:+1::partying_face:

3 Likes

Indeed. i totally agree with this approach, same thing can be done with lenses for smaller and average IPD people. This option should at least be available for kickstart pledgers as they supported Pimax from very begining and waited over a year to get their hands on their hmds.

2 Likes

what are the chances of us being able to interchange these for different 5.5 inch GRB strip 1440p panels at a later date? Would be nice to see the controller the panel is plugging into :wink:

Not much, but keep in mind that you will want the next iteration of the PIMAX 5K+/8K and I’m not speaking of the the 8K-X… So by the time MOD will by possible other option will be available…

1 Like

I simply wish to swap out for 5.5" 1440p OLED RGB 90Hz panels if they ever become available.

2 Likes

If they are the same that Pimax used maybe, but the connector must also be the same. The current OLED panels are not full RGB has I recalled?

2 Likes

@Sjef

Thanks for great read and tear down images.

2 Likes