Pimax 5k+ received! Early experience (Spamenigma)

I don’t have the Ability to post there Either.

Now we can work on getting perhaps a Sub Category in the 8k Category.

However It is likely time to ask @deletedpimaxrep1 to Setup a 5k Headset Category. & refine things there.

Perhaps @deletedpimaxrep1 could create 2 Sub Categories 1 in the 5k & 1 in the 8k where only backers whom have received headsets can post messages but be read by all (& Leaders). To help reduce the Moderation Task. This way backers can post their Reviews & we can start setting up guides for Games & GPU settings.

8 Likes

Should it really be hidden? I feel it prepares me more reading this stuff for when I get my headset. Whenever the heck they decide to clarify that they’ve only made like 2 5k+ and shipped a few 8k’s.

3 Likes

Not hidden. Just restricted to whom can post there. Received your headset you can post & reply.

Anyone can read the sub category; just not post. This way if say Bob(hasn’t received headset) wants to discuss @spamenigma review or settings reccommendations they would need to create say a topic here with a link to the post.

These Subcategories could be kept as Backers only. New Consumers would be able to use this as a resource as well opposed to a subcategory to post in.

7 Likes

I’m not sure forum leaders should be prevented from posting. Some of the info there is problematic (about recommending the latest PiTool .84 version). I tried to head off possible problems for new headset owners, but could not. Here’s my attempted reply to http://community.openmr.ai/t/latest-pitool-download-address/9369?u=neal_white_iii

[quote]There appears to be an issue with PiTool version .84; you might want to postpone updating the app for now, especially since some people have had difficulty uninstalling it. More info…

http://community.openmr.ai/t/sweviver-all-backers-already-having-pimax-at-home-i-think-this-is-important/9390?u=neal_white_iii

Here’s a link to the last “known good” version…
http://pisetup.pimaxvr.com/PiToolSetup_1.0.1.76.exe
[/quote]

1 Like

Yeah totally agree @Heliosurge.
Make it so…lol

4 Likes

Not that I’m suggesting forum leaders should or shouldn’t post, but to say don’t forget there is a new uprising of PiWarriors here! :slight_smile:

I’m sure as we grow in numbers and experience there will be a lot of capability to voice issues to pimax and to the forum. There will no doubt be a few more people respected to do this task well with first-hand experience of issues that can more easily be correlated between backers with HMD’s to ensure a level of accuracy in feedback.

Or a bloody war starts and the forum is taken off us :smiley:

4 Likes

True, but part of my responsibilities as a sub-moderator (“leader”) is to head off small problems on the forum, before they become big ones. Helio is a full moderator and he can’t post there either. Considering the poor communication skills demonstrated by Pimax, that might be problematic at times.

3 Likes

Not dismissing the need for moderation! Just your example was more related to reporting back to Pimax.

It looks like nobody can post there yet, so less like a decision has been made on who can do what and just the permissions are just not set up at all yet.

2 Likes

Its great to see more people are finally getting their headsets. It looks like it takes 30ish days from the time we get our choice email to when we get our headsets.

2 Likes

Essentially anyone with a Leadership level like yourself would be able to post.

1 Like

I woke up to find PiTool (76) reporting that my 8K was “Disconnected”.

Rebooted a couple of times, but no joy
Uninstalled PiTools, unplugged HMD, rebooted, then reinstalled, rebooted, plugged in HMD, but no joy
Uninstalled PiTools, unplugged HMD, rebooted, then installed 84, rebooted, plugged in HMD, HMD connected, but SteamVR failed to see the 8K.
Tried with PiTools 76 again, but NO JOY!!!

Frack this!!!

I think I will wait till they put out another driver.

Have you contacted Pimax for support , it will be interesting to see what there customer service is like.

2 Likes

No, but I suppose I should do. Kind of had enough of it at the moment.

I’m certain the fault is with the drivers. One is needed that works.

Gonna get a coffee, then message support. Actually, I believe there is a forum for this. I’ll post there.

1 Like

You never fufilled my request for your very initial impressions! :sweat_smile:

The second you looked through the headset for the first time, how did you react in the first 10 seconds?

2 Likes

I knew that they were going to be tricky to set up but for you at least it seems no amount of tinkering is working. I hope Sweviver or Pimax can help you sort it soon. Try not to get to discouraged .

EDIT. Or Heliosurge he he

2 Likes

Chuck,

I had this problem myself. It seems that at least with the 8k it might need a firmware downgrade. I let it update both firmware & pitool. After trying to downgrade pitool to 76 but nogo on connect. It just kept saying Dp/hdmi not connected.

In my case I let upgrade back to 84. I am using Pitool at x1.25 with SteamVR running I think around 60%. Per eye Res = 2880*x to just over 3000.

Has been working not bad.

6 Likes

Hmm, you have SteamVR working with 84!

I cannot get those to work together at all :frowning:

Hmm

Okay, gonna take a bit of a break, then have at that again… getting 84 to work with SteamVR

Thanks for the input :smiley:

Wow! The initial pains are higher than I expected. It kind of makes me glad to have a backer # in the 3000s. :astonished:

13 Likes

Well, @Heliosurge, you are freaking awesome!!!

Did as you said, and it worked perfectly :slight_smile:

And, “let upgrade back to 84”
SteamVR now sees the 8K :slight_smile:

Before, I uninstalled 76, then installed 84, but that seems to result in issues with SteamVR for me.

All good for now, on the connection front.

Now to sort out the image/text :smiley:

8 Likes

#686 here.
Can’t wait for you guys to sort things out for me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes