Pimax 5k + / 8k prescription lens adapter

If you talk about the Zenni mod, I already use it :wink: thanks ^^

1 Like

@Korgen I just ordered a set of those aviators from zenni - which 3d printed model would be the best one to use? the split one? I have an IPD of 60

thanks

~L

1 Like

nyajigon22ā€™s file comes with 2 adapters: for ~60 IPD and for 65, you should test the 60 one ^^
I made a mod for my large IPD (72), thatā€™s why I didnā€™t test the split model yet.

1 Like

Hey krogen are you able to use simplify3d and slice the 65 version for me. I want to compare it to a cura version I made. If it not to much to ask to upload it for me somewhere so I can test out.

Yeah sure ^^
If you have questions about specific setting choice, just ask :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just got shipping confirmation from both shapeways and zenni for the adapter and glasses. Iā€™m super stoked to try this!

2 Likes

Can you go in your setting and pick the enter 3 pro as the printer? Seems cura doesnā€™t let you edit gcodes ><. If it doesnā€™t have the pro listed im sure it has the regular one listed.

You can open a gcode with Notepad (or better: Notepad++
But Iā€™m not sure youā€™ll can safely print from my file.

In gcode files, printer informations are commented lines, sot theyā€™re not read by the printer.
My build volume is 300x300x400, if you use this gcode your Ender will try to print over its limits.

This adapter can be sliced by Cura. Since Cura 4.3 supports are easier to remove (set support Z Distance to 0.2mm and Support X/Y Distance to 0.7)

The trick for this stl is:

• rotate the model 180Ā° Y axe
  • uncheck ā€œautomatically drop models to the build plateā€, raise the model to at least 5mm over the bed (1st support layers are hard to remove on such a thin piece)
  • support settings: placement ā€œtouching buildplateā€, angle 50Ā°
  • layer height 0.15 or 0.1

You may have to sand a bit or rearrange the lens slot with a scalpel.

3 Likes

wow nice thanks. I didnā€™t see the touching build plate settings. Went through all the hidden and couldnā€™t find it when I searched in filter.

Itā€™s in Cura parameters (where you change languages ^^)

I must be blind im not seeing it lol.

Preferences -> Configure Cura

1 Like

I meant the support settings: placement ā€œtouching buildplateā€, angle 50Ā°

The reason why I recommend to use ā€œtouching buildplateā€ instead of ā€œeverywhereā€ is to avoid supports in the lens slot :wink:

2 Likes

Oh nice Iā€™ll give that a shot. Just printed one and came out pretty good. Flipping it 180 and moving it 5m away really made it easy taking out the support.

2 Likes

Yep, the secret is to find the best way to place a model. Sometimes we need to change habits ^^

1 Like

You mean the lenses are supposed to go into that slot? My lenses are unfortunately about 6 times the size of that tiny slot. I also found the frames to be extremely fragile. that combined with death grip supports was a show stopper. After snapping 5 frames, I finally has something somewhat usable. But. because the lenses would not fit the slot, I tried to super glue them in, fogging the lenses. Thatā€™s when I gave up.

1 Like

You know high index makes your lenses the same size as any lens? How bad can your eyesight be? You buy the glasses that was provided in this thread and just take the lens out. It fits pretty much snug

1 Like

As you can see, they fit. Standard index, no glue.
The only thing I had to do is to edit the model because of my IPD (enlarge the nose part and move the 4 branches to clip in the Pimax and squeeze around the lenses)

Because of FDM technology, you have to clean up the slot carefully. Inside it, youā€™ll have small pieces plastic you can cut and remove with a scalpel. If you donā€™t thereā€™s no chance for your lenses to be maintained.

I intend to curve a bit the nose part, if this next version will be ok maybe Iā€™ll glue too.

3 Likes

Yeah super glue & lenses donā€™t mix. Try 5min epoxy.

Or low temp hot glue.

1 Like