Pimax 5k & 8k Directory

Pimax Download Links & Setting Suggestion

http://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-setting-suggestions/

Reddit /r/Pimax Official Wiki

Getting Started FAQ underconstruction
http://community.openmr.ai/t/faq-getting-started-5k-8k/

Oculus IPD Style Setting -Contributer @neelrocker
http://community.openmr.ai/t/here-is-how-to-simulate-oculus-ipd-patern-with-the-pimax/9800?u=heliosurge

Trouble Shooting -Contributer @Davebobman & community
https://community.openmr.ai/t/table-of-contents-wiki/10851

Community Guides
Pitool Render & Steam SS Clarification -By @CyrilJ

Pimax Team Question Faqs
http://community.openmr.ai/t/guidance-pimax-5k-8k-faqs-links/

Free Content Directory
http://community.openmr.ai/t/free-content-directory/

Game Compatability

10 Likes

This Post is Now a Wiki Post Anyone can edit this via the Pencil

This Post will contain Pimax user Headset Mods.

1)Franken Pi - Attach Vive DAS to Pimax Headsets(@mixedrealityTV)

2)Poor Man’s Deluxe Headmount -Project cost under $25ca(@Heliosurge)

3)Tilt Mod Fix -By @Yen

3 Likes

Pimax For Dummies -Contributer @SweViver

1 Like

This Topic will contain Video Links to @mixedrealityTV Many useful Videos. Starting with Vive DAS guide for Pimax headsets. (This is a wiki Seb Please add videos via Hyperlinks to your channel)

Franken Pi - Attach Vive DAS to Pimax Headsets

Season 1 Links

Season 2 Links

Post links to useful threads in this thread, with mods, tips or tricks to improve compatibility or performance or the other improvements.

Windows 10 VR Optimization Guides
Eye strain/IPD issues? Very useful links in this thread
Vive DAS velcro attachment guide,
Vive DAS connector 3d printed parts schematics
Vive DAS connector how to attach the 3d printed parts video tutorial
Narrow-face face-cushion 3d print files for 5k and 8k
Distortion fixes 1
Distortion fixes 2
Link to all pitool versions
Firmware flasher
Setup guides for best quality performance in steam and pitool
Clarity/blur fix for Nvidia GPUs for Pimax 8k/5k
PiTool setting suggestions (Pimax Post)
Compatible games lists
Elite Dangerous fix
Subnautica troubleshooting
New Pavlov doesn’t need parralel projections anymore so it saves performance
Sweviver 5k vs 8k in depth review (needs a short update soon in my opinion as both headsets have improved)
Outstanding problems and fixes for pitool, 5k+ and 8k
Compilation of issues and solutions for the 5k and 8k
20 question survery for backers experience of quality
How to exceed the maximum imposed resolution limit in SteamVR above 4096 pixels using .ini edits
5k+ for over a week, from OK to WOW (-3mm Optomitrest measured IPD for increase in clarity and other setup tips
Headset randomly changes to not tracking (USB inadequate power issue)
These are the common issues with the 5k+ and how to fix them
The Elite Dangerous resolution clarity breakpoint guide 5k (+Hidden area mask setting performance tip)
PiTool/SteamVR Supersampling Increase guide

Pimax Official posts
Pimax official Production Progress thread
Pimax Backer delivery progress spreadsheet

IPD/Eye strain fixes
Precise IPD measuring method
PSA: Check your lens frames if you see discrepancy between eyes
How I calibrate my IPD setting
Here is how to simulate oculus IPD pattern with the pimax
Guide to replace Pimax Home image with Oculus IPD image
Double facial foam mod
HMD Foam tilt-mod
Manual IPD measurement using straw
Pimax IPD image method to find your correct IPD
Dominant eye test
Clarifying Near IPD vs Distant IPD confusion
Some thoughts on the IPD discrepancy

14 Likes

This is awesome work! Thanks for your effort.

2 Likes

Hi ya. Trying to get my new Pimax 5K+ to work. It tracked briefly, then on a restart it all went out the window.

The headset is detected, but it won’t track and the lighthouses and the controllers are not detected.

These threads keep talking about deleting this directoty:
Users/username/AppData/Local/Pimax/runtime/config/lighthouse/

But that directory does not exist for me. The furthest it goes down is:

Users/username/AppData/Local/Pimax/runtime/

Nothing in the diagnose says there’s a problem.

Any idea would be grand

1 Like

The new PiTool has its data folder in %ProgramData%/Pimax/something/something, but I doubt that deleting lighthouses folder will have any impact on your problem.

Have you checked the Table of Content wiki?

Are you a backer or pre order?

I’ve had trouble with lighthouse / headset tracking. What works for me is to hold the headset ~0.5 m from the lighthouse and slowly move it further away. Tracking used to be found at ~2 m, but lately it’s found at ~4 m. I’m not sure if it was my PiTools update (to version .111 or that there was some sort of breaking-in period) which caused the distance change.

1 Like

I’ve tried, and am still browsing it. that’s partly why I asked this question. But it’s a terrible way of doing a forum. Creating one thread and putting all the information in it defeats the point of having a forum.

I am a backer. Not that that should make any difference.

I kept looking around, and ultimately killed all the Pitool tasks, unplugged and replugged the light houses, and reinstalled the PiTool.

And it all started working. Well, there are some problems, but I’ll deal with that elsewhere.

You do know other forums expect users to use search functions instead of starting a new thread without searching to see if an issue has already had a solution.

So not sure which forums you have visited no offense btw.

But having a centralized area to find solutions is easier as most ppl often don’t seem to use a search function.

Being identified as a Backer places you in a Group with acs to Earlybackers group.

If I had Lighthouses myself I could better assist directly. But have read up on various solutions & can as a result sometimes help folks find a solution.

@anon74848233 please add to earlybackers

1 Like

First, I will admit that this forum has issues. It is a giant, unorganized mess and I am not particularly fond of the linear reply setup (I prefer nested conversations ie. Reddit).

That being said, I am not sure why you would be opposed to the “Table of Contents” (admittedly created and curated by me). It is a compilation of all the various problems/solutions that people have found (among other things) and is incredibly useful when you have thousands of new users trying to find information.

2 Likes

That’s fair, and your work is much appreciated.

My statement is more about the forums in general. As you’ve observed, the fact that you have to create a table of contents is an indicator of how flawed the forums are. And this may be a flaw of forums in general. But in general with forums, you can at least see the titles of a post when you are searching.

Maybe it’s this particular forum? There seems to be no titles to forum posts? I can’t find a list of forum posts with titles. Is it just this forum software?

2 Likes

The titles are right there?

Perhaps you could give an example (from another forum) of the sort of functionality that you are looking for.

2 Likes

I’ve been having a look around, and you’re right. Titles are there, and there are actual threads.

This is just such a radically different looking forum, with massively different layouts and stying than anything I’ve seen before, that it just doesn’t look like anything familiar. Plus the recommened links at the top of the forum takes you to a single topic, that looks like that’s the only piece of information. The interface is very oblivious as to what’s going on. Very web 3.0 mumble mumble, get off my lawn… :slight_smile:

I’m used to the Elite Dangerous forums (for all their uglynes) or Stack Exchange, and so on that seem to me to be pretty obvious what’s going on.

So don’t mind me. It’s me wrangling with new software. And my views on Web 2.0, 3.0 etc are not really the issue here.

1 Like

It is a Discourse forum. I personally hadn’t seen any forums set up this way either (although I don’t generally spend that much time on forums).

2 Likes

I was happily playing away today for about 4 hours (several games) and all was good. Then all of a sudden I lost tracking. SVR didn’t report this but PiTool did and when I launched a game it would start and crash back to Steam.
I shut down all Pi services in task mgr, re-installed PT but Steam said it couldn’t load so I reinstalled Steam as well.
After a reboot of the pc the headset was tracking again.
My only problem after was that one of my Vive wands has a weak or hinky battery and won’t pair if not fully charged but everything else seems ok (for now)

2 Likes

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-5k-lighthouse-fix-for-those-who-had-the-gearvr-lens-mod/17765

For those having tracking issues, caused by barrel distortion mod. When you installed the lighthouse mod for the HTC Vive.

1 Like