Pimax 12K Qled with 70 ppd

Hey @PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra @hammerhead_gal @SweViver at the end of this Pimax Frontier video Pimax 12K QLED - The most INSANE VR headset? - YouTube you told us that we get a ultra short throw projector with 70 ppd Can you tell us more about that ? I really want the pimax 12K Qled too have 70 ppd!

3 Likes

Good catch what the heck is that ?

1 Like

I would assume that is something mental like a direct to retina projector but it seems very outlandish tbh. If it truly does have that at the center then it’s basically the ultimate headset in every way except form factor (which is a completely reasonable compromise).

I’d love to know more about the 70PPD thing, but tbh, I’m going to assume that it’s not happening to just not get my hopes up. The rest of it is already amazing enough as it is lol.

1 Like

Good point. Will be interesting whether this will be
a) in every 12k
b) an upgrade option for every 12k
c) a special variant
And in case c whether this special variant will come out later, so it might be worth waiting for it.

And whether it can move around, following eye tracking, to point at the center one looks at. Like it was planned but (afaik) never realized with these movable mirrors in the Varjo VR3.

3 Likes

c … for industrial use, if i remember right

3 Likes

It’s the same concept that Varjo’s VR-3 and XR-3 use.

Both presentations (12K and Chrystal) were directly aimed at ‘we can do the same as Varjo but better’

Is it? They say a short throw projector, not a higher density display in the center so sounds like different hardware entirely (although with a similar result).

There is no high density display ‚in the middle‘ on a VR-3. The uOLED‘s 1920x1920 resolution is projected onto a diffusion layer between the actual panel and the lens.

Although Pimax haven’t explicitly stated what they are planning to do (and rightly so as above method is patented by Varjo), I’m pretty sure it will be at least ‚similar‘.

It’s a very nice way to get one area of your FOV super high resolution without having to stack panels.

Also, it allows for running the HMD entirely without the focus area, as is mandatory for SteamVR due to its lack of support for more than one viewport per eye.

Oh wow, thanks for the correction! I didn’t realize that was how they do it, that’s pretty amazing.

1 Like

Might seem that way but these headsets were in the works for years and well before we even knew they existed.

4 Likes

Would then it be fair to say that Varjo sort of beat you to the market with the Aero?

Or we beat them to market with the 8KX. Depends on how you look at it. Plus we include things like audio, microphones, reprojection etc. to market long ago. All for a lot less money too btw.

3 Likes

That’s fair but afaik Varjo weren’t focused on FOV as much as clarity.

The Crystal appears to focus on the latter.

The new series is essentially a nice degree of evolution over what we already had. We evolved basically every component we have.
I would add they and others definitely benefited from our work with Nvidia on DSC.

3 Likes

I imagine, DSC is a godsent in times of eternal DP2.0 delay.

So there would have been a Crystal even if there hadn’t been an Aero?

Yep. Would have been a bit illogical to work on something for this many years and not release it.

4 Likes

The aero does good clarity and colour and basically nothing else. It doesn’t even have a mic! It has eye tracking tbf, should have mentioned that.

I don’t think there is much comparison though. The aero has the smallest vertical FOV and lowest bionocular overlap of any headset, along with a price tag that is outlandish for what it brings to the table (honestly, they should have scrapped the eye tracking and motorized stuff for a lower end model more like 1500, or had both models).

Sure the aero came out a decent bit earlier but when both are on the market I don’t see why anyone would go for the Aero. It’s got amazing clarity, and that’s it. Amazing clarity will be coming to many headsets soon and the aero offers nothing more.

Seriously, no mic!!! That part just consistently blows my mind.

And the crystal exceeds the Aero in that single spec that it hinges on, so not sure how the Aero beat pimax to the punch in anyway really.

The aero is really comfy for most too, its headstrap is pretty innovative the way it adjusts. Vr face is a thing of the past with the aero. So it does clarity, colours, eye tracked auto ipd adjustment and comfort really well.

2 Likes

Fair points. Comfort is actually my biggest concern about the Reality line of pimax headsets. I love my 5KS but I do find myself not really jumping to it as much as I’d like, it’s decently comfortable but VR in general has a way to go before it’s a second thought in terms of comfort.

2 Likes