Pico 4 Launch Event Discussion

Transcript leaked of the entire event: Pico 4 Event (Leaked) Transcript

429 euro for base model, very aggressive pricing. Most things we already knew, there was seems to be a decent focus on games with Just Dance being an exclusive title.

No mention on DP port connection. Virtual Desktop is coming to the device though. Seems to be a single panel design, slight increase in resolution from Quest 2.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

4K plus display? No detail resolution ? Only 105 diagonal FOV ? Nah, PASS.

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s being released, the quest 2 needs a rival. But its specs aren’t exciting enough for me to buy one, i’ll stick with my Q2. I hope it does well.

1 Like

I want to know the price of the Pro version, which is the real competitor for the Quest Pro.

Also the normal version is a hard hit for the Quest 2, if the leak is correct.

I do find it funny whenever companies boast about their display’s PPI when it’s really such a useless spec to hear about. PPD should be what they boast. 1200PPI sounds impressive but doesn’t actually convey anything of useful meaning really.

1 Like

I might actually pre-order it tomorrow, 429 euro is just too tempting.

1 Like

I would give mad respect to any company that stopped advertising PPI and diagonal FOV for VR headsets. These are outdated, meaningless, and misleading figures in the context of VR. These should be replaced by PPD, HFOV, and VFOV.

4 Likes

Looks pretty cool. Santa might get the kids one for Christmas.

good for Meta, they need simeone in range, i do love my occulus devices for there wireless support.
(but i also loved my vive :joy:)
Standalone mini is awsome for PE ! I like that.Or not to switch anything else on the check the internet…

so i do like those toys but i dont see them as hmd i would use in general.
Its cool, its for everyone and for vr veterans,…well.

Just for the record, thanks to @knob2001 I updated the HMDGDB with Pico 4 data.

4 Likes

Whoa - if that 100% stereo overlap carries to the physical view, and not just the rendered, I’d really like to see it.

(…although, it could of course simply be that the frustums have not been optimised; There is also the lack of a hidden area mask, to suggest that possibility…)

Comparing it to Pico (Neo) 2, it looks like a small increase of the rendered FOV in all directions. I have some doubts it will be visible. Looks more like a formal specs augmentation than a product of concentrated effort, especially with the HAM missing completely :wink:.

It’s here.

2 Likes

Nice! Please share your thoughts when you get time. Also, I’d recommend getting virtual desktop for wireless streaming, apparently the built in streaming software kinda sucks.

1 Like

I have Virtual Desktop on Steam but looks like I’ll have to buy it again in the Pico store?

The headset is nice and light. It’s definitely a downgrade over the Index but that’s the price to pay when going for a budget stand-alone I guess.

I nearly threw the controller across the room as I’m so use to Knuckle controllers. Surprisingly there are no lanyards attached to the Pico controllers.

The lenses are clear but do have a slight haze to them but not as bad as the Index.

When I first put the Pico on I felt a weird sensation that reminded me of the DK2 back in the day before I got my VR legs. I switched to 90hz mode and it went away a bit but didn’t feel like the Index. The fan came on and I could hear it in the background.

I find the Index is more comfy than the Pico. I don’t notice the Index when it’s on apart from the cable. I can feel the Pico pads pressing but maybe that will wear in over time.

Setting up the play space on the Pico is so easy and as soon as you step outside it auto switched to the external camera which is so cool. I wish every headset should do this. I hope the 12k comes with at least 1 external camera.

The audio on the Pico sounds week compared to the Index but let’s face it the audio on the Index is awesome with a rich full sound.

Controller tracking on the Pico seemed good and I didn’t find any problems in the limited time I used it while playing Rec Room. Batteries were pre installed and engaged when I pulled the plastic tabs out.

I think this headset is a good option for those getting into VR but would I use it over the Index? No. The only downside to Index over the Pico in the cable I would say. But it’s £919 v £380. PCVR v Stand-alone. I still need to try Virtual Desktop for PC so maybe that will make a difference.

3 Likes

It arrived here too

5 Likes

I managed to get SteamVR working today but what an a$$ that was. Getting the Pico Steam App, Pico Assist and Pico streaming App to all work together was a job and a half. Finally unplugged the Index and managed to get HL Alyx running. It looked nice and clear even after WiFi compression.

3 Likes

It’s a shame the SteamVR Pico App doesn’t sort out all the Wifi stuff natively. I didn’t get round to trying Virtual Desktop. Maybe tomorrow.

Apparently it’s a big step up. Seems like their own streaming app has improved though, about a month ago it was unusable above medium quality (but tbf that was pre-release testing).

Surprised to hear that the index is more comfortable! Might be that you’re very used to it? Like it would still be more comfortable to you but might be a different case if you were starting from blank for both maybe? Just a guess.

1 Like

I think most people would say the Picos head gasket is too firm on the forehead.

I don’t think I’d use the Pico over the Index. Index feels real while Pico feels weird. Not sure if it’s the FOV latency 72hz, lens ripples, audio, controllers or what but I appreciate the Index even though it’s lower resolution.

2 Likes