Pico 4 Launch Event Discussion

Okay after some heavy testing my impressions:

First of all the light weight is great!

But for me its not comfy at all,its pressing to much on my face and there is too much light leakage.
And i need to be closer to the lenses(but i have almost with every headset that i need to be closer to the lenses…)

I also see too much mura or this is called different i think ,i see those black dots in a grid when i hold my my head still on white or red back grounds… i used to have this also on a old pimax headset before and find it distracting(maybe its only my unit)

The brightness is less then my old quest 2 and the colors dont pop at all i think…
I find the audio not bad at all and better then the quest 2.

The tracking is good and much better then the hp reverb g2 v2 !

The color passthrough is nice…
I tried also pcvr wireless with virtual desktop but i need a better router,there where to many hickups.
On ultra it looked better then my old quest 2.

The mic is better then on my pimax 8kx.

But i am sending the pico 4 back i think its a bit over hyped on youtube,i know its cheap but for me its a no go !

Maybe i had to many vr headsets lol

3 Likes

Yeah, that has been my impression in general. Perhaps it’s because people desperately want competition to meta but realistically I think it’s just because VR youtube kinda sucks. It’s still pretty small so everyone in the space needs to hype everything to hell to make a living.

Hyping it up gets clicks. And then making videos afterwards about how all the hype was overrated gets more clicks.

Is this truly unique to the VR industry though?

1 Like

Definitely not unique but that doesn’t mean it isn’t annoying haha.

Yeah I think Pico 4 is a good first headset. My kids are getting this unit for Christmas so I’ll be keeping this unit.

I hope Pimax Crystal/12k doesn’t suffer the same drawbacks as the Pico does lol.

1 Like

that’s weird con as usually on almost all hmds you have to buy a vrcover or do a similar mod coz stock is awful, i remember index the only one that was more or less comfy out of the box but with counter weight mod. Ah rift s also was comfort enough. Vive pro 1 & 2 smash your forehead even with mods. Q2 also not comfortable especially without strap.

Sounds interesting, didn’t hear about this . Sounds like severe drawback. Screens on Q2 & index ones of the best (apart of index res) no grid visible, great a-aliasing, great lenses.

I ordered pico 4 to try it for work as monitor coz Q2 was best for this purpose still. For gaming i use index still (having reverb g2, Q2, Vive Pro 2, 8kx). But artifacts in picture can kill it though i expect comfort to be top notch with 3d printed gasket & velcro vr cover foam thx to wheight and geometry & pre factory balance. On paper it sounds way better than Q2 for standalone - no FB, good library, color passthrough, better res, sweetspot & edge2edge clarity (colours & brightness are lower due to lenses stack is understandable), low weight, balance, good enough mic & audio, good tracking, same or better pcvr with VD as on Q2, cheaper price, big company behind the product, nice design, good IPD. Very solid HMD for standalone market

1 Like

Fully agreed with @Teigue on this, I fully expect a myriad of custom facial interfaces for the Pico 4.

The ‘dots’ give me flashbacks to 5K Kickstarter traumata I thought I had overcome a long time ago :smiley:

Mine should be getting in tomorrow, very much looking forward to giving it a spin whilst the VR-3 is rendered unusable.

1 Like

also by some reason they state 105* Fov as diagonal while its horizontal and bigger than on almost all hmds apart of index in that space. Vertical fov probably bigger than vive pro 2

yes thats what i thought too when i saw them on the pico 4…Maybe less then the pimax 5k but it is there(maybe i had a bad unit)

1 Like

I’ve read at least one more report of black dots from a first hands on.

1 Like

I’ve seen black dots too.

1 Like

So more units have it,or maybe all

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/y6pfkz/i_regret_getting_the_pico_4/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

• Concerning the dot grid, it’s a regular grid of black dots, separated by many pixels (20? 30? 100?) - as if there were a ton of tiny square screens grouped together to form a bigger screen, and the corner of each screen had a small tiny black dot. It’s there on any app, and quite faint / not very noticeable at all… Until you notice it (IF you notice it). I’d say in PCVR games I’d probably never notice, but on slow movie scenes, it could (and does, for me) become visible. I could be more sensitive to such thing
1 Like

I got one with black dot issue.

I am the first one who found black dot on pimax 5k+ (claim 2 times and found 1 of 3 headsets) and this is the return of nightmare.

This is another one.

1 Like

I think for the older 5k+ it was all of them right? Not just a defect but actually how they were. I had one of them and was able to get past it but quickly changed to a 5KS when I had the chance.

For pico 4 do we know if it’s just some or is it all? Could be that the increased clarity of the pancake lenses allows these dots to be seen when they might be near invisible on Fresnel, just a guess though.

i hated it on the pico 4 and i returned the headset because off that and i didnt like the color and brightness

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.