Nov 30 2021 Update Discussion

Since all Backers recently confirmed there Address for Backer Boxes and/or DMAS; there shouldn’t be many that need to confirm there address again so soon

Can you confirm this @PimaxQuorra ?

3 Likes

Gutting to finally have official confirmation that PE development is scrapped.

@SweViver and @arminelec would you care to comment on this?

7 Likes

Pitool and PE are essentially being combined into a single app.

2 Likes

Will this cover the full functionality of PE ? Including the cloud profile exchange feature which was announced yet not really implemented so far ?

It would be helpful to undertsand what the plan is, and which features are going to be continued, and in case some are not, which ones would be removed. Also to have a constructive discussion with the user base about which ones we users consider to be essential and which ones are rather in the nice to have territory.

5 Likes

And importantly who will the dev team be.

2 Likes

Indeed it is also too as pimax failed at Opensourcing the pitool interface and never fixed the outdated jumble code.

3 Likes

So Sword Sense controllers are dead in the water until…

What happened to the plans of making (all) the software open source, announced a long time ago?

3 Likes

The Pimax VR Experience is currently not being updated and development is paused for an indefinite amount of time. The app is still available for download and can be used as always. Thank you so much for your ongoing support for this project.

Here we go again. :worried:

I wish these updates lately weren’t all bad news.

5 Likes

Disappointing but not surprising. It was pretty obvious that something was up when arminelec stopped communicating about it months ago.

2 Likes

Indeed it is evident they knew in May/June. May was Arminlec’s last visit to the Forum.

Sweviver started the project though, not Armin

2 Likes

I am assuming that it ended up being a money thing - Sweviver & Armin expected to be paid for their efforts, or continuation of efforts, and probably could not agree with Pimax. At least would seem the most logical explanation.

Which is a pity, because it actually was a very helpful tool and I dare to suspect that Pimax on its own would never have implemented it with such good an UI and all of the features it had, or was attempting to implement.

Of course even if it was about the money, we cannot know which side has unreasonable expectations, so it is moot to elaborate any further on that. It would be more important to start up the discussion with Pimax about what the combined PiTool / PE next iteration should contain, and how the UI should work. Ultimately it of course makes sense for Pimax to develop this in close cooperation (and with-out language barrier ?) with its firmware developers, so I would not necessarily object to the concept to bring it nearer to the chest. I am just afraid that it is not so much of a nearer to the chest than a letting it starve to death scenario. As so often with Pimax, I would be happy to be proven wrong (although my track record so far unfortunately isn’t that bad…).

2 Likes

Considering the UI of the PE is leaps and bounds better than that of Pitool I’m concerned this new direction is going to degrade the user experience quite a bit.

2 Likes

Agreed though Marcin did disclose @arminelec clean up the messy code. But yes Marcin was the initial Architect whom enlisted a more experience proven coder. That being said @SweViver did an amazing Job as pimax’s own team was unable to deliver a vr launcher interface since 2016 when they released Piplay the first Pimax software prior to Pitool. Granted had Pitool been properly Opensourced we may have had several flavors of a PE type interface.

However as many developers stated the Opensourced place holder mismatched obsolete pitool code was largely unusable.

Considering how stretched the Dev team is they should have subcontracted arminelec As Pitool releases has also stalled considerably and the last Release info on last pitool simply claims better “Amazon Customer Experience”.

1 Like

PiTool is a Windows application, while PE is a Unity application. They are not comparable, the Unity application easily looks cooler, but the Windows program has to deal with different tasks and aesthetics are not important.

True, but even @SweViver stopped updating it

Truth is I would prefer if almost all of the PE functionaliy would be on a desktop app like oculus app or viveport.

The only functionality which would be nice in VR is the ability to adjust color and brightness as an overlay.

1 Like

I don’t know my Zotac Firestorm windowa ap l9oks pretty good

Because the target are kids that buy video cards based on the amount of colored LEDs, but that software could make its job even if it was less cute, you don’t have to look it every time. The headset interface on the other hand is part of the experience, where everything needs to be cool

2 Likes