New through-the-lens 8K vs 5K+ video :)

Thanks.

But how could we decide between them with one that is JUST BETTER?
Colors? I see people talking about colors, are you guys kidding? Your eyes can get used to it, but if image is crap your eyes wont fill the gap to read text clearly like in the 5k…so color is…sight…we are not talking about some black/white vs colors, its better HMD vs shiny colors?..

Ok now Iam getting pissed the 5k+ is just better.
Unless the upscaler algorythm is totally ruined, or even the chip itself.

Yeah as you can guess I have a 8k on the way.

Edit :
Its because of the pixel alignment and orientation, just not the alignment.

If both were same the 8k would be same…or better.

5k they are horizontaly aligned and oriented.

8k they are 45° aligned and vertically oriented :frowning: which…spread them cause not fit with their shape.

They have to be oriented and aligned according to their shape, for this purpose anyways.

I feel like there’s a much better chance that the colors and contrast could be improved on the 5k+ with color profiles or whatnot than something to make the 8k look as good as the 5k+ in clarity.

1 Like

I bet you still think it is Awesome :blush: And I am looking forward to your impressions.

1 Like

I thought we would have heard something from Pimax by now. Especially after Sebastian’s rant yesterday.

1 Like

I wonder if it makes any difference on the 8k at all if you hit it with a base Steam resolution that can evenly multiple into 3840x2160. I bet once people start receiving these things somebody discovers a sweet spot. But as for me I’m convinced unfortunately that I have to switch to the 5k+ :frowning:

It’s starting to look that way . I am in the low 5000’s so will wait before I make my decision . I really want the 8k to be better.

2 Likes

Bingo man. Suspected this for a while now.

6 Likes

8K needs a bump in pixels per degree to overcome that diamond layout. A lower magnification lens that is tailored for the normal FOV is probably (ironically) the cheapest way to fix the disparity between both 8K and 5K+.

Both HMDs would benefit from lenses specifically optimized for the 150 degree “normal” FOV. Less magnification would make it a non issue.

4 Likes

Wow, this is stunning work. Martin you have outdone yourself again. I have done some through the lense work and I know how hard it is to keep focused. Your video also conforms to my subjective impressions of both headsets.

12 Likes

Well…
I desperatly asked for a switch but it should be too late.
We will see what answer I get if I get one…yeah…IF

Iam not worried about my money or what, like omg I got screwed no, but Iam pissed, changed mind 78 times between eatch post I replied here, tired of this.
So you gonna tell me if Iam tired of this, just get over it and wait for your HMD, or, hey its a kickstarter etc etc. I know.
But lets say its like with and without lub, things get done, but better with lub :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice find! If they indeed used such panel then that would explain it indeed. Panel usage problem on the pimax 8k (less than 4.1" used of the 5.5").,People didnt like it when the Spanish team said so but it now seems they were right all along … Anyway sweviver’s video’s seem to indicate that too since the Pimax 8k only seems to use about 30-40% more pixels (which should have been over 200% more). @Davobkk @Cdaked

7 Likes

I have asked in other topic, what is 5k+ ppi, why sde is better than vive pro?

5k has 490 ppi, if it is 9% better it should have 534 ppi while vive pro is 615 ppi

That sharp display have 736 ppi, do pimax use it or just a sample of any detail?

From sebastian video, it look pimax can’t tell this detail because NDA with display company.

1 Like

Since I’ve seen people saying that the 4k didnt had SDE, I take with caution the SDE feeling of others.
4k had a descent one but a lower one would please me.

The Pimax 4K has SDE, but almost imperceptible, I’m demanding with SDE and it doesn’t bother me at all. The first time you see it you don’t know if there is or you are imagining it.

4 Likes

Does your pimax 4k serial start with 102 or 100 ? Because the first has a 1440p screen.

How on earth can ppl still be surprised by that? For every two pixels should be three bla blah…

The comparison is a 5k+ vs. 8k, not a 5k vs 8k that would be based on same display tech more ore less.
The 5k got enhanced - the 8k didn’t - simple as that.

The macro shots here look like the scaler is rather simple one but weighting a 6x6 or 8x8 pixel square, tiny patterns like text rendered in 1-2 pixel wide lines and gaps get completely washed. Surely to the contrary gradients and smoth transitions will look better with the 8k scaler, that would be video content for the most part…

Who ever wants to spend a 100$ more for more or less same quality should go ahead. There is nothing wrong in speculatiing it could be benefitial in future, but for current performance there have been many comparisons documented. And it will remain the first 8k for ever, that alone has it’s value.
Contrast ratio, color representation, black level… all not taken into consideration, all ppl are whining about is resolution figures. :laughing: Yeah, my numbers are bigger than yors…:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Cant check that, no longer have it.

Lets assume it was the bad one.
I noticed (just noticed, wasnt like omg thats crap) the SDE right when the Pimax logo appeared at the first start.

for me looks like 8k is a RGBW not full RGB

4 Likes

Ironically this makes me support 8k more, I completely hate SDE, and this images show clearly that there’s more pixels at the same proportion of data like in the Skyrim letters, that’s a lot more pixels in the same space and A LOT less black space between pixels aka SDE, 5k has huge black gaps between pixels but 8k has barely any black gaps even completely zoomed in, it’s amazing!

For example check it here: Pimax 8K vs 5K+ Through The Lens Comparison - Pimax 5K+ vs 8K Pixel Matrix Analysis - YouTube Notice the huge black gaps between pixels on 5k completely zoomed in, yet 8k has nearly no black gaps even this zoomed in, it’s incredible.

So indeed SDE is going to be better, but yeah, you lose some clarity, still for me it’s not such a big difference at all as you can see in the zoomed out images. Also @mixedrealityTV through the lens images made 8k look catastrophic, but this ones that are the most clear yet zoomed in, tell with data the story that 5k looks clearer, but far from a huge difference.

So as a complete SDE hater, I’m all for 8k, enjoy your slightly better clarity, I’ll take less SDE thanks since as a Viver I don’t hate low resolution or lack of clarity much, it’s Vive’s SDE what really kills me.

Incredible work @SweViver as always, keep those amazing vids coming!

10 Likes

(deleted 20 chars…)