New resolution standard? 4320 x 2160 RGB

So the new qualcom headset’s sporting 2x full RGB 2160x2160 LCD displays. Same as the russian made Duce HMD. Could this be the next gen reference display?

HTC has not confirmed the resolution of Cosmos but claimed it has the sharpest screens yet with full RGB

This is a big step up from current offerings. 2019’s looking better everyday

6 Likes

Yes with full rgb stripe this seems very promising

Not totally clear there who is actually making the displays.
Square is not a useful size for phones so they are banking entirely on VR type sales, but if anybody has a lock out control on the production then we are still stuck.

We only got the 5K+ because a new display became available as a by-product of other industries, it is nice to see some primary manufacture of displays for VR.

I would prefer wider 125/140 fov with less resolution from these panels

1 Like

Looks like the 5k’s resolution will be outdated pretty fast this year :slight_smile: I wish Pimax would focus more on newer display tech. That’s what they claim to specialize in

2 Likes

Yeah, can’t wait for this to hit the streets, bring it on :slight_smile:

with 85 fov ? no thank you…

1 Like

That’s the reference HMD (and was just a guess by Ben from RoadToVR). I’d be highly surprised if the Cosmos would have a FoV lower than the Vive Pro.

It’s really hard for me to get excited about low fov headsets.

3 Likes

Fair enough. But have you tried a 2160 headset? :slight_smile:

Like the Pimax 4K you mean?

High refresh widescreen format rgb oled that pushes the boundaries of life like brightness while maintaining contrast ratio is the goal.

1 Like

Well, sure, higher FoV is nice. But the Odyssey+ made me realize how important visual fidelity is. It’s much easier to trick your brain into thinking the virtual world is real when you don’t see any pixels at all.

In the end, some day we’ll all have 200 degrees FoV with ultra high res but until those are available, we’ve got to be happy with each step closer. And this certainly is another step.

5 Likes

Except starvr one already happened. That old chestnut? :smirk:

1 Like

MRTV’s visiting them in Taipei this week so it look’s like their still in business :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe Seb can butter them up to do a consumer product. To me I’m not interested in xtal at all because pimax already fills the 170fov shoes.

Yeah after having both the 5k+ and the odyssey+ I kind of have lost interest in the starvr. We need higher resolution, not lower

I don’t think will have another a consumer accessible headset with a very large FOV (140+) soon. This was the pimax gamble… mechanically and optically if you use a round Lens and flat panels at 90 degrees you limited to 110-140 degree. Would be surprise if the valve prototype give more then that. And if you go for a pimax style design you create something that will be more problematic statistically for the users. So for a big company this is a consideration because this means more support and more returns for a more costly product.

2 Likes

Star vr one was all of human vision and used eye tracking foremost for making perfect lens undistirtion.

1 Like

As others have said to each their own but I think 1440p for now hasn’t actually even really been shown how good it can really look because of the low quality graphics in games. Without sde, 1440p per eye I’d much rather have 180hz displays. Obviously the new holy grail of virtual hyper-reality is 4k (atleast) high framerate per eye. But I guess due to the physicality of vr and motion and that it might actual help sim sickers are other reasons it might be good.

1 Like